DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GO 4.07 An improvement or not?

Sjez

Reactions
If I appear a little confused, I'm sure I'm in good company. My phone notified me that there was an update for the DJI GO 4 app(Android) and upon checking out the user responses I found a litany of unfavourable comments.
Even looking at this fine forum I see a level of dissatisfaction.

Now one would think that DJI wouldn't release an update that causes more issues than it solves.
Put aside any thought of the IOS vs Android arguments. DJI are happy to say that the Mavic is compatible with certain Android products... given that, why are there ongoing issues? This app is an important part of the many $$'s I've spent in buying one.

I don't blame pilots getting upset that this new version has caused screen crashes etc.
I'd probably be correct in assuming that I'd have a hard time getting compensated for a damaged or destroyed Mavic because of a software error. I heard of a pilot being refused Care support because he flew using Litchi instead of the DJI Go... but what of a buggy DJI app on your device?

So.. to upgrade or not? Are you required to Upgrade? Why does this app get such a poor rating?
What are your thoughts?

If you are solid now, make sure you can roll back to the firmware and app before updating anything, is my advice. Android software glitches with DJI Go 4 are an ongoing issue, unfortunately, and will probably continue to be so for some time.

DJI GO 4.07 An improvement or not?
I would say not. As far as I could tell the update from Android 4.06 to 4.07 merely added support for the Phantom 4 Advanced. It never purported to offer any improvements for the Mavic. Nonetheless I updated to it and as expected have seen no differences.

Last edited:
An improvement over what? 4.0.6? 4.0.1? The old GO app?
The ratings are for different versions, not just the latest update.

I've personally been using GO4 since it came out and all revisions after it with no issue on my devices.

Pretty sure the issues are either with specific devices, specific configurations (what other apps people have installed) or issues with how people use the equipment and/or expect it to work.

On reflection - maybe the android 4.07 is an improvement. @Cerberus has found it contains a fix for the live video stream going glitchy when phone audio was being integrated. I saw that bug in android 4.06 too. So perhaps some undocumented changes in there after all.

Tried GO app version 4.0.7 yesterday. First battery using my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" (SM-T810) which got an update to Android 7.0 few days ago. Worked perfectly as before with running Android 6.0.1.
Then second battery using my Sony Xperia XZ running Android 7.0. Also no problems and I really thought DJI might have finally fixed that terrible memory leak leading to all these crashes and freezes on various phones and tablets in the past.
But when changing to the third battery and again using the Xperia the GO app begun lagging at about 60% battery and shortly after the whole phone was frozen, requiring a total restart. So the problem is still not solved.

Tried GO app version 4.0.7 yesterday. First battery using my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" (SM-T810) which got an update to Android 7.0 few days ago. Worked perfectly as before with running Android 6.0.1.
Then second battery using my Sony Xperia XZ running Android 7.0. Also no problems and I really thought DJI might have finally fixed that terrible memory leak leading to all these crashes and freezes on various phones and tablets in the past.
But when changing to the third battery and again using the Xperia the GO app begun lagging at about 60% battery and shortly after the whole phone was frozen, requiring a total restart. So the problem is still not solved.
So..do you do a full reboot on your phone after each battery change?

An improvement over what? 4.0.6? 4.0.1? The old GO app?
The ratings are for different versions, not just the latest update.

I've personally been using GO4 since it came out and all revisions after it with no issue on my devices.

Pretty sure the issues are either with specific devices, specific configurations (what other apps people have installed) or issues with how people use the equipment and/or expect it to work.
You are quite right in some of your assertions. However this latest app was released to the Android community on the 19th of April 2017. Counting reviews from the 20th to 23rd April there are about 82 reviews.
20 reviewers give the new app 5 stars
6 give it 4
6 give it 3
15 give it 2 and
35 have given it 1 star.
Seeing that this app is meant to be a solid driving end of the package it doesn't offer much confidence and satisfaction to a significant group of users.
If a home appliance or car had this rate of concern there would be a recall.
I am aware that there are a number of variables that might be the cause of this issue... and I'm sure that there are many satisfied users. I for one would be a lot happier if the dissatisfaction levels were a lot lower.
e137c5a89bcadeae305b18f031245652.jpg

I have frequent crashes & lockups of 4.0.7 on my Nexus 6p, Android 7.12. More likely if I use different controller modes. Sometimes I restart the app, just now the phone was frozen and required reboot. Luckily there's RTH.

Most if the time I do a fresh restart before flying and close any open apps.

Is the DJI software more stable under iOS ? Might justify the purchase of an iPad mini.

As @Cerberus mentioned I can confirm the update from Android 4.06 to 4.07 fixed the glitchy FPV video stream when Audio capture is enabled. So while the video is steady now, during a 15 minute flight with it enabled, twice I got very brief signal loss, for a couple of second. This merely caused a message to pop and the video and flight logs to skip but that's all. One of these events the Mavic was only 30m away so I reckon the new Audio capture feature is still causing a few gremlins. So diabole it. Other flights today up to 3.5km away with audio disabled and no signal loss. So without Audio capture, I am finding Android Go 4.07 nice and solid on my S7e. 4.06 is a slight improvement over to 4.07.

As @Cerberus mentioned I can confirm the update from Android 4.06 to 4.07 fixed the glitchy FPV video stream when Audio capture is enabled. So while the video is steady now, during a 15 minute flight with it enabled, twice I got very brief signal loss, for a couple of second. This merely caused a message to pop and the video and flight logs to skip but that's all. One of these events the Mavic was only 30m away so I reckon the new Audio capture feature is still causing a few gremlins. So diabole it. Other flights today up to 3.5km away with audio disabled and no signal loss. So without Audio capture, I am finding Android Go 4.07 nice and solid on my S7e. 4.06 is a slight improvement over to 4.07.
Hey man about audio capture enabled. where goes the audio to the mavic or to the mobile device?? If to the mavic is there now an audio to our videos??

Hey man about audio capture enabled. where goes the audio to the mavic or to the mobile device?? If to the mavic is there now an audio to our videos??
The cached files has audio!
The problem is if you are using iOS... Dammit, it's so annoying accessing these files through iTunes.

It is saved on the Mobile device. Keep in mind it is the audio recording from your mobile device and not the Mavic.

4.0.7 caused my app to shut down after about three minutes of flight. I still had control of the Mavic...just no more app running on the phone (S7 Edge). I restarted the app, noticed the drone was still recording, and continued where I left off. This happened during 3 different flights...like clockwork. I could reproduce the error on demand. I found the 4.0.6 apk file, installed it (after removing 4.0.7) and things are back to normal. Somewhere along the line though, my video quality went to hell. It's all grainy now, so I'll probably reinstall the latest firmware update and reset the camera as well. Best of luck to you. If you have things working well, it might be wise to wait on the update until they call out fixing something you need. I hope they improve their quality control checks before releasing the next update.

Dji should point out a new version of Go app.
It's 4.0.7b.
When you connect your device a popup message appear
"Android device detected. Flight with extreme caution."

Tap x to close and pray for everything to work well.

Reactions: RAMJET-1
997ff0fa7eba40a8229522c738bf0e6c.jpg

DJI has published this list. Check occasionally since this list is updated as new phones are checked.

Despite difficulties like software crashes, screens blanking out etc. DJI insist that these problems are due to software changes to Android (or IOS) added by the various service providers. There are too many variations worldwide for all if them to be tested. It sort of makes sense.

997ff0fa7eba40a8229522c738bf0e6c.jpg

DJI has published this list. Check occasionally since this list is updated as new phones are checked.

Despite difficulties like software crashes, screens blanking out etc. DJI insist that these problems are due to software changes to Android (or IOS) added by the various service providers. There are too many variations worldwide for all if them to be tested. It sort of makes sense.
That does make sense. My phone is on the list as being supported, but it's running Android 7.0. Even though DJI lists "Android 4.4.0 or later" as being supported, it makes me wonder about the "or later" part and how they can keep up with all the changes. Nevertheless, I'm sure all the issues will be addressed eventually.

Reactions: Sjez
Hi guys, just for your info..

I used my new phone bought specifically for DJI and its the Oppo r9s...
So far, had around 20 plus flights on it (had over 50 plus on my old phone)
and no freezes and no crashes...

Just in case anyone wants to know..
Fly safe..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121