DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 / Mavic Pro on Amazon Fire Devices...

MavicPilot

Reactions
Hi folks,

My primary devices are iOS, but with the mini not supported (out of the box) and the iPhone 6 issues, I wanted to dedicate a spare Amazon Fire Phone (basically free when I got it... since my prime was expiring anyway).

Boy, DJI support was down right aggressive about Amazon devices will not work.. In any case, I saw some posting and I wanted to put the steps together to help others..

Credit to yiluhetech from:
Fire Phone - How to Install Google Play Store without root

These steps will install the Google Play Store and then you can install the DJI Go 4 app (or 3)
  1. The Amazon Fire device must be on the Fire OS 4.6.x OS. This is the min release as the 3.5 release is lollipop and you need android 4.4 for DJI Go 4.
  2. Download and install these (IN ORDER) from APKMirror - Free APK Downloads - #APKPLZ #SOONBACKANSWER - #APKPLZ #SOONBACKANSWER (just search for the main name and the versions will be obvious. If asked, download the arm64 release.
    1. Google Services Framework, 4.4.4-1227136
    2. Google Play Services, 10.0.84 (036-13749526)
    3. Google Account Manager, 4.4.4-1227136
    4. Google Play Store, 7.2.13.J-all [0] [PR] 138561921
  3. Install APK Installer - from the amazon app store
    1. https://www.amazon.com/RexApps-APK-Installer/dp/B00AGZDUQU
  4. Open APK Installer and run install each app in the order mentioned.
  5. Open the Google Play Store, login, and download DJI GO 4.
Now, I did the download and copy from a PC and this may be more complicated since I needed to load drivers, copy files, etc. I'm assuming that they can be downloaded via the built in browser.

You will need to find the kindle_fire_usb_driver.zip if you want to connect up your phone and copy the files directly.

I hope this helps others! I've have been on 4 flights (2 days) now and no issues. Actually, the experience was better than on my iPhone6!

Enjoy!

@MavicPilot

Thanks for the post. Which Fire tablet are you using? Amazon is selling the 7" version today for $39.99 so I was thinking of picking one up to dedicate to my Mavic. Is this the version you're are using? Thanks!

Reactions: Barnabus
@MadSANMan Do you really want to fly a $1,000 drone with a $40 "hacked" device with "side-loaded" apps?

I don't see why you couldn't, really.
The "device" is only for visuals, not really for flying the drone (though it helps a lot of course).
If the Go App installs itself and works on the device, it doesn't matter if it was not meant to be compatible or not. After all, I'm pretty sure DJI did NOT test its app on all the android devices there are around, so they wouldn't know. If the device is powerful enough, as processor and graphical chipset are concerned, and if it has enough free memory to run correctly the app, there shouldn't be no problem, right?

@MadSANMan Do you really want to fly a $1,000 drone with a $40 "hacked" device with "side-loaded" apps?
Sure... and if it was only $20, it would be even better. What does the cost of the tablet have to do with anything? If it runs the app and has enough horsepower to do the job, nothing else really matters. And like Geko said, the tablet is merely an extension of the controller.

Sure... and if it was only $20, it would be even better. What does the cost of the tablet have to do with anything? If it runs the app and has enough horsepower to do the job, nothing else really matters. And like Geko said, the tablet is merely an extension of the controller.
You're right its only an extension of the controller which gives the user FPV images when the drone is out of LOS. Let me know how you make out, see you soon in the "My Mavic flew away thread" because my tablet/phone "froze up and I didn't know what to do". ;)

Reactions: devGOD
You're right its only an extension of the controller which gives the user FPV images when the drone is out of LOS. Let me know how you make out, see you soon in the "My Mavic flew away thread" because my tablet/phone "froze up and I didn't know what to do". ;)

I think the Mavic would Return Home by itself, right?

Reactions: BearMan54
Anyone tried this with a fire tablet? I just checked the phone and the cheapest is $200, may as well get a iPad mini. This intrigues me though, I'll look at this closely

Sent from [emoji211]

I think the Mavic would Return Home by itself, right?
Let me put it this way...there are at least 20 threads on this forum that are about Mavic's not returning home and out of those 20 there are 2 or 3 were the user/owner was able to extract the "DAT" file(s) from their working tablet/phone and upload to @msinger. Which resulted in the Mavic being located and retrieved. Sure any tablet/phone can have an issue, but why increase the chances of failure by using a "non approved" device.

Let me put it this way...there are at least 20 threads on this forum that are about Mavic's not returning home and out of those 20 there are 2 or 3 were the user/owner was able to extract the "DAT" file(s) from their working tablet/phone and upload to @msinger. Which resulted in the Mavic being located and retrieved. Sure any tablet/phone can have an issue, but why increase the chances of failure by using a "non approved" device.

Because when you buy a Mavic, after having seen tens and tens of video about how it's a great toy and all on Youtube, you don't think a second about the fact that with *your* phone it won't work. Especially if your phone is not an obsolete one.
This is exactly what happened to me. Granted: I should have checked *before oredering the thing*, the phones and tablets working with it on the DJI site. But I didn't. It never occured to me the app would crash as badly, even the previous GO, being unusable altogether.

So when I received my Mavic, I plugged my LG G3 on it, and it was not good, but I was so thrilled to fly a drone, this drone, that I didn't attached to many importance to that fact.
Then, after several days where the pleasure of flying this bird erased slowly away seeing this DJI GO app constantly crashing on me, after having tried *everything* I could to prepare, at the best of my possible knowledge, my phone, I had to look at myself deciding to buy me another "thing" just to be able to fly the drone.
And so... I verified by myself that indeed, if the app crashes, if you don't see nothing anymore on your tiny screen (but of course, if the drone is not too far away so you can still see it with your eyes, as you always should right?) you still can bring it back home safely.

"Non approved device"... well, I'm pretty sure DJI didn't test the app on *every* Android (modern) devices. So the "approved" thing is, for me at least, a starting point, nothing more.
I've just ordered and received a Nvidia Shield K1 for that matter, because I've already spent more than 1500€ on the Mavic and I find it largely enough, especially since I have to buy me another device, which I didn't need anyway besides of flying the drone. So 200€ more for the tablet looked already enough, I certainly didn't want to shell out 400 for an iPad.
For the moment, it works perfect with the Mavic (though I didn't get the chance to fly it a lot since we just had a big storm this week). But it's not on the DJI list.
If I had, where I live, the possibility to buy a 40 bucks tablet (with some power inside of course), I would have tried. :)

Reactions: R30Rush
To each there own. I'm not "bashing" the Kindle Fire, I actually have purchased 3 of them for my nephews last Xmas. I was just trying to save the OP the misery of possibly losing their Mavic. I also agree that DJI doesn't test the Go App on every possible Android device. Actually, I've been asked to test Android 5.1 on the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses

If the tablet/phone froze and you were scared to fly it without having the FPV why not just use RTH, or better yet let it hover in place and reboot the device?

I can't find my K1 tablet but tried the Insignia Flex 8 for $60 [emoji46] it was horrible, it's going back. I have three iPads so I'll just use one of those after ordering the tablet mount. The costs of the lil bird adds up with all the extras so I don't blame anyone for trying to maximize their dollars. Birds still worth it to me though

Sent from [emoji211]

Hi folks,

My primary devices are iOS, but with the mini not supported (out of the box) and the iPhone 6 issues, I wanted to dedicate a spare Amazon Fire Phone (basically free when I got it... since my prime was expiring anyway).

Boy, DJI support was down right aggressive about Amazon devices will not work.. In any case, I saw some posting and I wanted to put the steps together to help others..

Credit to yiluhetech from:
Fire Phone - How to Install Google Play Store without root

These steps will install the Google Play Store and then you can install the DJI Go 4 app (or 3)
  1. The Amazon Fire device must be on the Fire OS 4.6.x OS. This is the min release as the 3.5 release is lollipop and you need android 4.4 for DJI Go 4.
  2. Download and install these (IN ORDER) from APKMirror - Free APK Downloads - #APKPLZ #SOONBACKANSWER - #APKPLZ #SOONBACKANSWER (just search for the main name and the versions will be obvious. If asked, download the arm64 release.
    1. Google Services Framework, 4.4.4-1227136
    2. Google Play Services, 10.0.84 (036-13749526)
    3. Google Account Manager, 4.4.4-1227136
    4. Google Play Store, 7.2.13.J-all [0] [PR] 138561921
  3. Install APK Installer - from the amazon app store
    1. https://www.amazon.com/RexApps-APK-Installer/dp/B00AGZDUQU
  4. Open APK Installer and run install each app in the order mentioned.
  5. Open the Google Play Store, login, and download DJI GO 4.
Now, I did the download and copy from a PC and this may be more complicated since I needed to load drivers, copy files, etc. I'm assuming that they can be downloaded via the built in browser.

You will need to find the kindle_fire_usb_driver.zip if you want to connect up your phone and copy the files directly.

I hope this helps others! I've have been on 4 flights (2 days) now and no issues. Actually, the experience was better than on my iPhone6!

Enjoy!
Have these instructions changed? I was able to get DJI GO 4 installed on mine through instructions found elsewhere but it's not connecting to the controller. The KF does make the sound that it recognizes it (the same sound as when it's charging) but the screen on the Go app just keeps reporting that it disconnected.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Have these instructions changed? I was able to get DJI GO 4 installed on mine through instructions found elsewhere but it's not connecting to the controller. The KF does make the sound that it recognizes it (the same sound as when it's charging) but the screen on the Go app just keeps reporting that it disconnected.

That's typically the way DJI GO app is not working on the device it's installed on.
I had the exact same thing on my previous phone (LG G3), could install the app (DJI GO and DJI GO4), the RC was connected to the Mavic, the DJI app opened, but I couldn't connect the app to the Mavic, so I had no visual feedback, I couldn't enter the "enter flight" on the 1st screen.
Sometimes, I had to let it on and only unplugged and repplugged the USB cable, and then, the app would connect alright and I could enter it and fly the Mavic.
But then, during flight, I would loose the connection, or have so many glitches, and pixelisation and all sorts of problems on my screen that I stopped all of that and bought me a compatible device (an NVidia Shield K1 for the matter). Since then, everything connects perfect and fast.

Please remember that these "back door" instructions may have be created based on previous version(s) of the DJI Go App. The date of the post is 12/18/16. I know it sucks not being able to use other Android base devices, but contrary to what others may say I highly recommend using devices on DJI compatibility list.

Found my K1 Shield tablet, updated it and installed DJI Go app. No real issues except it crashed twice and kicked in a firmware update for the bird. I like it and will get a mount to use the K1 since the iPads are way more expensive. May sanitize other apps on K1 if crashes are frequent. Haven't tried Litchi on Android or IOS but I did purchase on iOS

Sent from [emoji211]

To each there own. I'm not "bashing" the Kindle Fire, I actually have purchased 3 of them for my nephews last Xmas. I was just trying to save the OP the misery of possibly losing their Mavic. I also agree that DJI doesn't test the Go App on every possible Android device. Actually, I've been asked to test Android 5.1 on the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses
Every time i read this thread, I laugh because you are talking about a guy flying his drone on a kindle but your on a motorcycle without a helmet. I ride with a helmet because I value my life more than trying to look cool. I have Go 4 running on a Fire 10 and it runs better than on my pixel. Is it supported nope, but neither is your face when you crash without a helmet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61