DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go App how to Make controller direction show up

peterk814

Reactions
hi guys

Glad to be a part of this forum. There's a ton of info here which is great.

I had a quick question. I do most of my drone flying from boats. I have piloted a Phantom 2 with an iosd +fatshark upgrade using a small LCD screen to get read out data from the Iosd. As I am normally flying on a moving boat it is really convenient to see the distance and the heading the controller is from the drone (not the home point.)

Is there a configuration I can change on DJI go to see what my mavics current heading is in relation to me while I am moving? I know I can change the home point, but is cumbersome to continually do this.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It is unfortunate. I dont think the map updates your position relative to the drone either if you are moving. It just shows the position relative to the home point from my understanding.

Funny enough it does record your position while flying in the flight logs, but it never changes the home point unless you tell it to.

There is the radar map. It shows the mavics location and which way it's facing in relation to yourself. Just click the circle on the top right corner of the mini map. It's basically a compass map showing the orientation of the mavic in relation to you.

Reactions: Cimriver
At take off you have the option to set the Home Point to the Current Location OR Remote Controller. Maybe the Remore Controller option might help?
I will experiment... so far I have only selected the Current Position.

Reactions: JDG
At take off you have the option to set the Home Point to the Current Location OR Remote Controller. Maybe the Remore Controller option might help?
I will experiment... so far I have only selected the Current Position.
The only issue with setting home point to remote control is if you device looses GPS (or gets a false read) your Mavic does not know what to do and can literally just take off. I have read about this in two separate posts. I think using the radar is your best bet but that depends on the compass in your device as well I believe.
Regards,
-d.

I could be totally wrong, but - I believe that the radar shows the Mavic in relation to its home point. I often fly in airplane mode, and the radar works great for helping me aim the Mavic towards home. If I were moving around in airplane mode, the radar would not be able to change to account for my location. Even when I'm not in airplane mode, and I do move around a bit during a flight, the radar still seems to be centered on the original home point.

Reactions: Bunny Too
you could keep updating the home point in the app, but you are right, these are all stop gap methods. I do not think there is a reliable way to tell exactly what direction and where you Mavic is.
Regards,
-d.

Thanks for the info. I will be cautious here.

Does the remote have its own internal GPS?
On reflection I guess the smart phone has to perform this function for the Remote Controller.
If that was the case there would be a problem if an iPad without the cellular/GPS hardware option was used.
The DJI GO App would probably protect against this situation otherwise the Mavic would have every right to be confused.

Thanks for the info. I will be cautious here.

Does the remote have its own internal GPS?
On reflection I guess the smart phone has to perform this function for the Remote Controller.
If that was the case there would be a problem if an iPad without the cellular/GPS hardware option was used.
The DJI GO App would probably protect against this situation otherwise the Mavic would have every right to be confused.
The remote does not have GPS, it comes from the device. I wonder if the remote has a compass however.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: EJay
My tablet has GPS so it shows the home point set, the Mavic position from the Mavic GPS and my position with the standard blue circle you see on maps whenever you look at one with a smart phone or computer or tablet that has location information available. See if that helps you. I have not moved around to check it but I do see it on the map.

And I would not use a screen device that does not have GPS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent