DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go App to Litchi App

TAG

Reactions
If seems that there are desirable attributes in both apps that I wish to use. When switching between the two apps are there any issues or method for doing so that I should be aware of? Is it as simple as just opening the app I wish to use on a given mission? Thanks

Android or IOS?
With Android the operating system wants to set a default app to launch when you connect the mini USB into the controller. Usually this will have defaulted to DjiGO. If this has occurred you simply close DjiGo and launch Litchi and expect it to connect because the Android OS will still be looking for DjiGO. So to work around this you need to go into the android application manager, find DjiGo in the list and press on CLEAR DEFAULTS. This resets it back to asking each time you plug the USB or start the RC with the phone already connected, which flying app you wish to use on this occasion. You then just choose between Litchi or DjiGO and make just to tap the "just this once" button. Otherwise it will set the app as the default again precluding the other.
Sounds convoluted but is straight forward once set. Plug in the USB, at the prompt select your flavour of app for the flight and just this once. Then away you go.
IOS, I dunno but I suspect it is just a matter of opening the app you want as ISO does not set USB defaults and auto start like Android can.

You can also switch apps mid flight if you wish. On android I need to pull the USB lead and reconnect it to prompt the app request. But simple enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: halley
On Android, if I am running the GO app, close it and then open Litchi it will not connect to the remote. Same vice versa. I always have to unplug and re-plug the USB connection, then I will get a new choice to start the desired app.

Reactions: genesimmons
What is the desirable function on litchi over the go? I've waiting for it to have a discount before I go buy it but would be nice to know before I do

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Is that all? If so I rather go back to my 250 racer for FPV fun [emoji57]

No, that's definitely not all. Litchi's biggest plus (and some other 3rd party apps) allow waypoint missions with craft autonomy. You can plan these in advance either on your device or on a pc with Litchi hub. You don't have to fly the route first. It will ll also complete the mission regardless of whether you've got signal or not as the mission is stored on the bird.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Actually both apps have FPV. I suspect you mean Litchti has VR which no doubt would be fun to use.

As Wacker says the Litchi route/waypoint feature is out standing and light years ahead of DjiGo. But it does require careful forethought, pre-planing and a suitable location to use safely.

But the killer Litchi feature for me is Panoramas. Try doing this wiht DJIGo....
If you can open the image on a phone or mobile device it will orientate as you tunr the phone much like Google Street view.

Litchi Panorama hosted at DJI SkyPixel

Again like Litchi Routes, Litchi panoramas require pre-planing and it is not turnkey. They still require post production outside of litchi, but the results are rewarding..

Reactions: Wacker2611
Very nice, not tried that yet. Do you use ICE to stitch it all, or does that sort of thing require more serious software?

my question would be is one more stable than the other? I am all about the flying experience and don't want to worry about an app crashing and having to try to recover mid flight. There are countless posts about the DJI GO and GO 4 apps crashing quite frequently. Is the Litchi app more stable or is it just as prone ot crash as the DJI apps?

my question would be is one more stable than the other? I am all about the flying experience and don't want to worry about an app crashing and having to try to recover mid flight. There are countless posts about the DJI GO and GO 4 apps crashing quite frequently. Is the Litchi app more stable or is it just as prone ot crash as the DJI apps?

Can't really speak for the Mavic as mine is currently in hospital and I only used Litchi once with it, before sending it in for a dodgy gimbal. However, I used it almost exclusively on my old P3A and it was flawless, and generally recognised to be more stable than Go. It's a much smaller program, and takes up less resources, particularly on android.

Reactions: Heavysledz
Can't really speak for the Mavic as mine is currently in hospital and I only used Litchi once with it, before sending it in for a dodgy gimbal. However, I used it almost exclusively on my old P3A and it was flawless, and generally recognised to be more stable than Go. It's a much smaller program, and takes up less resources, particularly on android.

Thanks for the candid feedback.

Reactions: Wacker2611
Is that all? If so I rather go back to my 250 racer for FPV fun [emoji57]

The biggest advantage (and why I use Litchi) is the ability to do very smooth panning and gimbal movements (in otherwords flying a pre-programmed mission and letting Litchi do the photography). You can get MUCH smoother video this way. This is huge if you care about video.

Reactions: Heavysledz
My two cents... I have both android and Apple. I have both Litchi and GO. I absolutely love both applications. MP is my 4th DJI product. I have flown somewhere close to 200 flights. That said... Go has never failed or disconnected on any of my flights. Litchi disconnected once on an autonomous flight. I programmed a flight outside controller range. It disconnected as it had on previous flights but never reconnected. This was on Android. So my take would be both are incredibly reliable. They are tools I use each for different reasons. If I'm flying and want to control the entire flight I use GO. If I'm flying a programmed flight or want to fly autonomously I use LITCHI. I don't have enough time or trust with the Mavic yet so I will continue to use the GO Application.

The biggest advantage (and why I use Litchi) is the ability to do very smooth panning and gimbal movements (in otherwords flying a pre-programmed mission and letting Litchi do the photography). You can get MUCH smoother video this way. This is huge if you care about video.

Indeed. If you are shooting video with any degree of seriousness, then Litchi is essential. It lets you do things that would otherwise take 2 people to do (drone operator/camera operator) and as @WolfgangStiller points out, it really makes the video much smoother. For example, not only can you pre-plan the waypoint mission, you can also set each waypoint to focus on a particular POI. This makes things like a 2-axis scrape nearly foolproof (panning while maintaining focus in the center). If you want your video to look more professional, this is stuff you either can't do at all in GO or it requires a very steady hand and a lot of practice.

That said, if I am capturing stills or just flying for the sake of it, I typically use GO 4. But if I am doing video, it is almost 100% done with Litchi.

Very nice, not tried that yet. Do you use ICE to stitch it all, or does that sort of thing require more serious software?..

Yes, I did it with ICE. Initially looked at PTGui but it is way too expensive at $117 Australian Dollars for the personal edition & occasional use. I have found that if you set up Litchi Pano correctly and feed decent images images on into ICE it does a terrific job (for Free).

Heavysledz keep in mind that either of the apps crashing is not such a big deal because you can merrily keep flying with just the Remote Control and no app. Just pre think hown you might deal with this situation and what resources you are left with to get it home.

Also done 200 flights, exclusively with Mavic, predominantly with Android and a few with IOS. Using both DjiGo & Lithci so all four app versions. Only ever had app crashes with Android DJIGo, never with Android Litchi. OTOH I have had the Mavic go into ATTI mode twice with Litchi and in one instance a TBE spiral. Both instances required positive intervention to take over and recover. However these were due ot an issue with the previous Mavic 1.02 firmware now seemingly fixed and nothing to do with Litchi which happened to be what I was using at the time. I agree with m0j0, both reliable tools and have different key uses.

Yes, I did it with ICE. Initially looked at PTGui but it is way too expensive at $117 Australian Dollars for the personal edition & occasional use. I have found that if you set up Litchi Pano correctly and feed decent images images on into ICE it does a terrific job (for Free).

Heavysledz keep in mind that either of the apps crashing is not such a big deal because you can merrily keep flying with just the Remote Control and no app. Just pre think hown you might deal with this situation and what resources you are left with to get it home.

Also done 200 flights, exclusively with Mavic, predominantly with Android and a few with IOS. Using both DjiGo & Lithci so all four app versions. Only ever had app crashes with Android DJIGo, never with Android Litchi. OTOH I have had the Mavic go into ATTI mode twice with Litchi and in one instance a TBE spiral. Both instances required positive intervention to take over and recover. However these were due ot an issue with the previous Mavic 1.02 firmware now seemingly fixed and nothing to do with Litchi which happened to be what I was using at the time. I agree with m0j0, both reliable tools and have different key uses.
Thank you so much for the insight....

Reactions: Skyler
looked at PTGui but it is way too expensive at $117 Australian Dollars for the personal edition & occasional use

See if Hugin works for you. Free software based on the same core libraries. Immensely powerful, but may take a bit more fussing to work with some challenging panorama projects.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000