DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go4 crashes constantly since last app update on Android

Anthony Boyd

Reactions
DJI Go4 was running fine on my Note 4 (Marshmallow) until about a week ago. I started getting regular intermittent messages on my phone: "Unfortunately DJI GO4 stopped". This happens several times a day even when the phone is not connected to the controller and the app is supposedly not running in the background. When i try to start DJI Go4, it crashes immediately with the same error. Tried reinstalling a couple times with no success. I also have Litchi installed, which i've been using exclusively for the last two weeks and this is set as default. Both apps coexisted peacefully until the DJI update.

Is anyone else having this problem? Since Go4 now seems to be useless and I lost my settings from reinstalling, will Litchi still work? Will Litchi work if I uninstall Go4 completely?

Reactions: Bunny Too
Flew yesterday for the first time since the update. Didn't crash but the app disconnected from the aircraft about 10 minutes into the flight. I was hovering about 100 feet up and 200 feet out right in front of me. I tried shutting down the app and restarting with no luck. Brought her back in and rebooted both the MP and controller. Could not reconnect. I just shut everything down and packed up. Have not had a chance to try again.

I am using an original Droid Turbo on 6.?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am using a Nvidia k1 tablet with Android 7.0 and since the Go4 update the app has become completely unstable. I have flown approximately 30 flights since the update and only 2 of them did not have an app crash. Many flights have multiple crashes. However, sometimes the tablet asks me if I want to restart the app and sometimes I just go to the running apps tab and tap on Go4, both of these methods restart the app with no problem (takes about 10 seconds) and the controller never loses contact with the bird. So it is really just a hassle until it happens at the wrong time, wrong place sort of thing. Sometimes I get multiple "Aircraft Disconnect" warnings before it crashes (even when I am within 50 feet of the craft) and the controller indicates no problem. Sometimes there are no warnings at all. I have tried reloading the app and every suggestion I have seen in multiple forums (Go4 autostart on usb, reset tablet to factory settings...) with no joy. Didn't even have Go3 installed on the tablet before this, but I downloaded it yesterday and in 5 flights, no crashes. The previous version of Go4 was a rock for me. It basically never crashed.

Update 2/14/17: After much testing I have determined that it was the Nvidia K1 update to Android 7.0 that was the culprit. After spending 3 days troubleshooting this and seeing the process involved in downgrading the tablet, I have returned the K1 (Amazon is great for returns) and have an Ipad Mini 4 on the way. I am no apple fan, but I see the advantage of one manufacturer/one operating system when designing complex interfaces.

Last edited:
WOW
So what does one do if the app crashes? Do you try to restart it, unplug and replug the cable, hit rth, or go to sport mode and fly it back?

WOW
So what does one do if the app crashes? Do you try to restart it, unplug and replug the cable, hit rth, or go to sport mode and fly it back?
Well with mine I just tapped the running apps button, tapped on Go4, and it restarts within 10 seconds.

Never had a crash. Got the one plus 3t and never close any apps or put it in airplane mode. Super smooth. As good as my iPads on my inspire 1 pro.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using MavicPilots mobile app

I'm having a similar problem on my Pixel. Luckily it maintains connection to the DJI controller so it doesn't initiate its RTH. But as the poster mentioned, it's just a huge hassle. I am running on Android 7.1.1 and hope that a future app update or OS update fixes the issue.

This really sucks for non IOS users. DJI is a great company that makes great products, but why are they having such a hard time with Android devices.
I use IOS and have had no problems at all.
If I were a android user I would stay away from DJI hardware just for this reason.

The same happening here but in my case is android Nougat 7.0 (Moto z)
It's annoying because when it crashes you loose all flight data from the app.
Tried airplane mode, disable screen rotate. No luck. This is harmless since controller remains on and you restart the app. Is just that you loose flight data as i mentioned above.

The same happening here but in my case is android Nougat 7.0 (Moto z)
It's annoying because when it crashes you loose all flight data from the app.
Tried airplane mode, disable screen rotate. No luck. This is harmless since controller remains on and you restart the app. Is just that you loose flight data as i mentioned above.
I have had a lot of crashes on my Shield K1 then I used cc cleaner to remove all duplicate files (50 MB) of DJI stuff and I finally had two good flights yesterday, give it a try.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: flabombarda
I was out little over 4000 ft @ 27 up coming back home and it lost connection the app said it went in to RTH but I had my telemetry lost video feed. I could see with my telemetry it was coming back. I just wanted for it and never did get my video feed. At about 900 feet I could see it and stopped RHT and manual brought it in never getting video feed. I turned anything off and then started it back up and everything was ok. Little upsetting to say the lease. .DJI picking up programmers from Microsoft. next we will be getting the blue screen.

I am also on Android and having this issue. :mad::mad::mad:
Is DJI working on it or letting us down?:(
Did someone contact DJI yet?

I am also on Android and having this issue. :mad::mad::mad:
Is DJI working on it or letting us down?:(
Did someone contact DJI yet?
DJI knows, what version of Android and what device are you using?

DJI knows, what version of Android and what device are you using?
Sorry, forgot to mention :oops:
I'm using a XIAOMI Redmi Note3 Pro with Android version 5.1.1 LMY47V (MIUI version: MIUI7.8 ! Stable 7.8.9.0(LHOCNCL))

EDIT 1: It looks like I'm making progress (at least i hope so)
I followed these instructions from RAMJET_1 and the app managed to hold on for more than 14 minutes.
Didn't try it for a longer period and also NOT in flight yet, so I will be very carefull when going out for a spin.
Looks promissing so far ;):) keeping my fingers crossed

This what RAMJET_1 is suggesting in another thread:
1. App Manager > Cleared cache and data > uninstalled Go 4 app
2. File Manager > Deleted ALL DJI files and folders
3. Restarted my device.
4. Went online at www.apkmirror.com www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-go-4/dji-go-4-4-0-4-release/dji-go-4-4-0-4-android-apk-download/
5 Downloaded Version: 4.0.4 (1021523) to my device NOTE : Before the download application can be installed on device, I had to go to Settings>Lock screen and Security> and turn off "Unknown sources". This is on by default to prevent app installs from other sources other than the Play Store.
6. After installation was complete I restarted my device.
** (I did not downgrade the firmware on the Mavic)**
DONE !!!

EDIT 2:
Worthless. :mad:
I've just been to an open field and could not even change the camera settings. :(
The app responded as a flashing traffic light....... on, off, on, off, on.
Every 2 seconds.

EDIT 3:
Getting confused more and more :confused:
Re-installed the app (the latest one from Google Play store). Went in my backyard. Took the Mavic up to 100 meters and guess what......
No problem. In the air for 20 minutes without any app crash!!!
Again, keeping my fingers crossed the next time :rolleyes:

EDIT 4:
Re-installed everything for the third time and guess what?
CRAP This app is (cr)APP
I'm done with DJI. Gonna buy Litchi.

Last edited:
Yep. Me too. Android galaxy S7. Latest update. Dji go 4 version 4.0.7. Getting pissed.

I'm curious to see if Litchi is still going to work after the updates coming out this week.

I think DJI needs to be very careful here. They could be at some form of legal exposure by locking down our drones, especially after the fact from our purchases. Limiting the use of our own property could be a problem for them if it were challenged.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest