DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles and 3D HD Video?

Robbyg

Reactions
Does anyone have any idea if it is possible to watch 3D material with the goggles? I am guessing that it is not a feature or DJI would have mentioned it.

Rob

Does anyone have any idea if it is possible to watch 3D material with the goggles? I am guessing that it is not a feature or DJI would have mentioned it.

Rob

Hardware wise it is capable with discreet screens (although it may not have hardware decoder); however they would need to add 3D decoding whether that's SBS or the preferred frame packing top/bottom format. It would seem like a big miss for them to NOT design in 3D. I could image a future drone having dual cameras for stereoscopic vision. Perhaps the 3D option will come later, or with an updated DJI Goggles 2. The fact that they went with discreet screens hints towards future 3D capability. They didn't have to do that. They could have had a single screen and used lens and mirrors to get the same result.

Reactions: IFlyHigh
Single screen and mirrors, so no.

DJI have again been riding the extremely fine line of making the most out of the marketing material by coming up with some text that is just borderline not false advertisement.

Single screen and mirrors, so no.

DJI have again been riding the extremely fine line of making the most out of the marketing material by coming up with some text that is just borderline not false advertisement.

Is it really a single screen source? Hmmm, I thought I read that there 2 screens, one on top and one on the side which are redirected with polarized lens and mirror.

I'm on a plane with slow wifi so can't check the awfully heavy site right now, but as far as I remember the marketing material says something along the lines of "each eye sees a full HD screen", which cleverly omits to say that it's the same for both yet suggests they're different.
The specs were contradictory depending on where you read them, but a 5 inch screen is mentioned and I don't see how you could fit 2 of them in there.

Guess we'll need to wait for a teardown to be sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: timsco60
I think its one source displayed on two screens with a beam splitter, so you cannot give two different sources and that is essential for 3d.

(though im not sure about this 100%)

There are two separate screens in it.

Rob

Interesting, hadn't seen someone had already done a teardown, incredible packing job.

Now the question is whether they drive both screens in parallel, or they drive them individually but keep the 3D features as an upgrade for future products.
But I doubt they would have put such effort to put 2 screens in if they didn't intend to do 3D. DJI offering the first stereoscopic equipped RTF drone would sound pretty good :)

what a bummer, i thought they would use both front cameras used for obstacle avoidance for the dji goggles to make the image stereoscopic. $700+ for the googles i think ill pass

what a bummer, i thought they would use both front cameras used for obstacle avoidance for the dji goggles to make the image stereoscopic. $700+ for the googles i think ill pass
Not sure where you are getting your pricing from, but i paid $449USD and they shipped today.

I have a pair of the base ones (not the RE). As far as 3D goes... I just watched the "Demo movies" apparently embedded in the device and I would SWEAR that those videos looked like they were 3D to me. I have also watched a standard 2D movie on them and it looked like a standard 2D move. Its actually kind of weird because it feels like your in this movie theater with a gigantic screen and absolutely no one or anything else around you. So I am not 100% sure if what I was seeing was 3D or just my brain processing it as such because of the picture but I am thinking its 3D Capable. Plugging it in to my 3D blue ray player is on the to do list.

I have a pair of the base ones (not the RE). As far as 3D goes... I just watched the "Demo movies" apparently embedded in the device and I would SWEAR that those videos looked like they were 3D to me. I have also watched a standard 2D movie on them and it looked like a standard 2D move. Its actually kind of weird because it feels like your in this movie theater with a gigantic screen and absolutely no one or anything else around you. So I am not 100% sure if what I was seeing was 3D or just my brain processing it as such because of the picture but I am thinking its 3D Capable. Plugging it in to my 3D blue ray player is on the to do list.
They're not 3d but the demo's do look nice

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zantuna