DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles - Antenna in headband, thoughts on available info.

CyberNate

Reactions
I'm looking forward to getting these DJI goggles. One thing I noticed in the DJI details page is that the Antenna is in the headband and offers 360 degree coverage. One thing I'm interested to know is the range that the headband will have. I have my controller modified with amps and 3rd party antenna. I'm expecting that my controller range will far exceed the Goggles range, at least in transmission..

I started thinking about the other specs which state that you have have 2 controllers and 2 Goggles connected that the same time. You cannot have 4 controllers nor can you have 4 goggles. This makes me think that perhaps the Goggles are sharing the same transmission link with the master or slave controller. If they were independent, I wouldn't expect a limitation on just 2 controllers and/or 2 Goggles. I am hoping it is working this way because that way I can leverage my greatly increased transmission signal to maintain connection with the Mavic. If the Goggles are sharing the same transmission, then even if the Goggles transmission signal is weaker than my remote, I should still receive the video link which is much stronger that the RC transmission. The only downside is that the camera gimble panning might not work so well if the transmission link is weak from the goggles.

Another idea is to intercept the transmission from the contact point of the Goggles display and headband antenna and run it to my controller transmission line for amplification through controller amps and antenna.

Anyway, I can never leave anything alone. It must be improved! Hopefully the Goggles are so awesome I don't need to mod anything.

Reactions: ore59 and flipf
Let me say this: Without people such as yourself " that can never leave anything alone " we probably wouldn't even have a machine as good as the Mavic. Adventures always bring improvement, one way or another. Good luck on your adventure!

But do the goggles use the RC Controller as a relay? It doesn't make sense to me that the goggles have an independent transceiver connection to the Mavic. They likely communicate to the RC Controller via WiFi or something similar.

You can't fly the Mavic with Goggles only can you? (I don't see how you could....).

But do the goggles use the RC Controller as a relay? It doesn't make sense to me that the goggles have an independent transceiver connection to the Mavic. They likely communicate to the RC Controller via WiFi or something similar.

You can't fly the Mavic with Goggles only can you? (I don't see how you could....).

I'm not sure if you can fly without controller. I know there are intelligent flight modes like tap to fly and the aircraft yaw can be controlled by goggles.

The goggles have a direct connection to the Mavic. I now see in the manual that there are several connection modes. In single usage mode there is video feed on both the controller and the headset. This means that each has its own independent communication with Mavic for separate video feeds. In multi user mode with 2 controllers and 2 goggles only the goggles have video feed , not the controllers. So in this mode the controller has only control of settings and aircraft.

Last edited:
Every place has been saying that the googles' range was "the same as the controller". And yes it's a direct connection in order to minimize latency.

I ordered the goggles but this got me thinking now if I really want all those "RF waves" transmitting so close to my brain.

Hmm, I guess with the headband and screen snapping together to make antenna connection, one could just put the amplifier in line. Just put a thin insulator to block contact point and connect amp between.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair