DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Arrived - First Impressions

AS4RONIN

Reactions
Ok,, so like many of us the box arrived with shiny Goggles inside, what are my impressions? Personally I think fit and finish is top notch, and execution on the product is "almost" perfect. Set up was incredibly easy and pairing the Mavic and Goggles was quick and easy, doing so without the DJI Go 4 app even opened (not sure what challenges others are having with this as it seemed easy). Testing the modes and functionality yielded expected results and I never felt as though the menus system or navigating with the side touch pad was difficult. Planning an actual flight today using neighbors as Guinea pigs as long as the rain holds off. But, and this is a big but. I've run into two issues that others may be interested in, one is likely user error and knowing the proper settings (more on that in a bit) while the other may be a deal breaker for me personally. Let's talk about issue two.... I wear glasses and am nearsighted, although not necessary my eyesight is much clearer when wearing them with driving or watching tv as an example. But, am not not farsighted and can generally focus close easily although at 51 this is changing each year. With Goggles I will be forced to buy reading glasses, assuming this will fix the issue. But I simply cannot see anything crisply while wearing them, text and video is fuzzy, and this was not expected. It appears you need perfect up close eyesight to use these and honestly, it shouldn't be the case. I'm not sure how difficult it would have been to add a Diopter adjustment but this may have made this product perfect, as close as it already is. But the thought of having to buy reading glasses just to use this product when I don't need them in real life seems crazy. Now, the second issue (or rather the first). I've read and watched the videos, and regardless of which of the three transmission setting I choose for Goggles (smooth, HD, Keep Current), the highest video recording I can set in the DJI GO 4 app is 2.7k, 4 k @ 30 is NOT accessible and although I can see and choose it within the menu system within Goggles, selecting it results in it automatically reverting back to 1080 seconds later. Something seems off here, I've seen several reviews that state you can still record 4K on the Mavic if this is set to Keep Current but this is not my experience.

Will I keep them?? Two things will impact this. First, after the novelty wears off will I get much use out of them, as opposed to having a second smart drone as a companion to my Mavic, such as the Spark? Hmm, I have to say I think I would use the Spark more long term. However the need for me to buy reading glasses might be the nail in the coffin on keeping them or not, it's a little inconvenient.

Interested in others thoughts and experiences so far.

Reactions: Lelantos
I've had them for 5 days, and I absolutely love them. There are the issues with properly decoding video formats and adding the Smart RTH battery indicator to the screen, but that can always be fixed in the software. What did irk me the most was when I inserted the SD card of my Mavic into the goggles, somehow the goggles screwed something up and it ended up changing something on the SD card. For some reason, my Mavic's camera stopped working and kept spitting out a "Air Encoder Error" at me. I was on the phone with DJI tech support for 2 hours, and nothing fruitful came of it, other than telling me to send it back. When I experimented around for a bit, I tried reformatting the SD card on a whim and boom the camera worked again. :/ Now I know in the future whenever that happens what to do.

But for the positives, they make flying in bright sunlight like today fantastic, and have a longer range than the feed on the phone. Makes it worthwhile for me, though I am also looking to get the CrystalSky when it comes out.

I was curious (worried) about how it would work for those of use with presbyopia. My fix will probably be to semi permanently attach some reading glasses lens' inside - as I have done with other goggles.

Have you tried stronger glasses to fix the blurriness?

Reactions: rydfree
I was curious (worried) about how it would work for those of use with presbyopia. My fix will probably be to semi permanently attach some reading glasses lens' inside - as I have done with other goggles.

Have you tried stronger glasses to fix the blurriness?

Another forum member put me on to these . Place a bit of Velcro in the center instead of the hat clip and place them in the goggles . They come in different strengths .
visormag | eBay

Reactions: Lelantos
I think the hardware is very good, however the software/firmware definitely needs to be updated soon. My recommendations would be to allow imperial versus metric measurements, add a map function (even if it needs to be cached), add more telemetry related to RC connection, add information about battery time left (no just %) and how close to RTH you are, and allow warnings to be displayed like on DJI Go 4. This would be a good start and probably very easy. Hopefully, knowing DJI updates firmware about once per month, this will happen in the next few weeks.

What does everyone think of these? Any additional things you would change with firmware?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian