DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles head tracking not working. Help!

salado

Reactions
Finished the link between DJI Goggles and Mavic today. Now I can see the Mavic camera view in the goggles. But when I move my head (with goggles on) or move the goggle by hand, the camera on the gimbal is not moving at all.

Does it require in a specific Mavic flight mode? Or some settings need to be turned on?

Both of my Mavic and DJI Goggles have been updated to the latest firmware version. DJI GO 4 App is also the latest.

Thanks!

Yes you have to set the head tracking mode. Swipe two fingers on the touch pad from top to bottom. You will then see the two head tracking modes (along with two other menu choices) on the top row of options. Swipe one finger on the touch pad forward (or aft) as necessary to highlight the desired mode and then tap once on the touch pad to select. Be sitting down and move your head slowly at first to avoid disorientation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steveo1314
Yes you have to set the head tracking mode. Swipe two fingers on the touch pad from top to bottom. You will then see the two head tracking modes (along with two other menu choices) on the top row of options. Swipe one finger on the touch pad forward (or aft) as necessary to highlight the desired mode and then tap once on the touch pad to select. Be sitting down and move your head slowly at first to avoid disorientation.

Exactly.

Read the book man!

I am having issues with tracking as well but have indeed selected the mode. I have found that yaw works when selecting Head Tracking Flight but no tilt. In Head Tracking Gimbal I get nothing. I re-calibrated the IMU again and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas on what else to check?

EDIT. I downgraded to 700 on the goggles and now it works. I guess the Mavick and Goggles need to be on the same FW. Now I have lost the ability to adjust the head tracking sensitivity. So I upgraded back to 800 and it doesn't work again. So I guess if I want full use of my Goggles I have to upgrade my Mavic to the "optional" restrictive 800FW.

FFS DJI!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Last edited:
I am having issues with tracking as well but have indeed selected the mode. I have found that yaw works when selecting Head Tracking Flight but no tilt. In Head Tracking Gimbal I get nothing. I re-calibrated the IMU again and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas on what else to check?

EDIT. I downgraded to 700 on the goggles and now it works. I guess the Mavick and Goggles need to be on the same FW. Now I have lost the ability to adjust the head tracking sensitivity. So I upgraded back to 800 and it doesn't work again. So I guess if I want full use of my Goggles I have to upgrade my Mavic to the "optional" restrictive 800FW.

FFS DJI!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
I had to upgrade both to the latest software. It was strange to upgrade when registering the Googgles and as soon as I linked them and wanted to fly I had another update to conplete. Once the latest update was complete all worked great.

I think i have the same "problem" yaw works fine but not the gimbal tracking.

Mavic and googles do not have the same firmware version. :)

Good to see that it is not an actual issue.

I had to upgrade both to the latest software. It was strange to upgrade when registering the Googgles and as soon as I linked them and wanted to fly I had another update to conplete. Once the latest update was complete all worked great.

50MPH is correct. Don't let the threads confuse you. If the goggles are not working properly with head tracking it simply needs to be updated with the most recent firmware. Once completed... it will work perfectly.

Note: For those who cannot update with the convenience of their computer, they can simply update by syncing the goggles with the Mavic and the RC. Choose update new software and within about 15 minutes you will be good to go.

I had the same problems that everyone else had, and tried firmware updates, etc. I was about to give up, and finally did a calibration of the goggles. Bingo. It works now.

I've been so busy flying I forgot this option existed lol Thanks for the heads up av8torgwc (some pun intended) hehe

Reactions: genesimmons
Whats the best non-DJI goggles option?

in short, maybe Fatshark, not sure

the long version, I checked into Fatshark before going with the DJI, but I don't know anything about them or their compatibility with a Mavic. For example, the DJI goggles have a head tracking mode that gives the wearer the ability to look around as the drone stays on its trajectory. The view is a 60 degree conical view forward, and 90 degrees straight down. The HUD has an artificial horizon, heading indicator, and a host of other info to keep you in control. It turned out to be the perfect solution for me. My son and I both have the white model. If possible, I would find someone with a pair and give it a go.

Reactions: MikeMauk
in short, maybe Fatshark, not sure

the long version, I checked into Fatshark before going with the DJI, but I don't know anything about them or their compatibility with a Mavic. For example, the DJI goggles have a head tracking mode that gives the wearer the ability to look around as the drone stays on its trajectory. The view is a 60 degree conical view forward, and 90 degrees straight down. The HUD has an artificial horizon, heading indicator, and a host of other info to keep you in control. It turned out to be the perfect solution for me. My son and I both have the white model. If possible, I would find someone with a pair and give it a go.
I will try that, just don't want to plunk down the cash for a so so product. Thanks.

Anyone have an issue getting the goggles to do an IMU calibration? Every time I try, it says the calibration failed, and trying to get into the head tracking modes tells me that I need to calibrate the IMU.

Not sure if you're doing anything different than I did, but i simply placed the goggles on a flat table with the bottom of the face mask parallel to the table. The headband wasn't really involved in the calibration, just simply acted as a support to keep the bottom of the mask parallel to the table.

once working, you will want to enable the camera to move 30 degree above horizontal which is a on off button in the Go 4 app.

Once you get the head tracking to work (the menu is called up by swiping two fingers down the mouse pad) aside from all the flight and battery data, you'll see something similar to a cross hair. and also an artificial horizon. The cross hair is pointing to your flight path, which is key since you can be looking off in another direction but need to know your trajectory.

the artificial horizon is crucial once you have the full 60 degree conical forward view. It gives you the ability to know where straight forward is. In other words, if you are approaching trees for example, you can bring your view to center on the horizon, This will tell you if you are high or low of an approaching obstacle.

with the ability to look upwards 30 degrees, it would be easy to think nothing was in your flight path while looking upward and crash into something at your elevation. .

Aside from that i'm afraid I'm not much help. Hope you get it working, they are awesome.

Last edited:
Yeah, mine will not calibrate. Everything else on the goggles works fine though. I did buy these used off of eBay, and got a very good deal...maybe that is why.

If they utilize an accelerometer, which acts as a gyroscope, perhaps it's defective, but I have absolutely no knowledge of what inside. I have had great success with DJI refresh and repair. Before I did anything, I would do all I could in the way of updates and tech support. I warn you however, that tech support in some cases is simply a telephone operator reading a script. I would keep ebay out of the conversation when asked where you purchased the goggles. Not to be dishonest but simply say they were a gift and you don't know where they where originally purchased; all of which is true. They were a gift to yourself :)

Anyway, patience is key when working with DJI. They are selling drones all over the world, thus swamped with calls. Don't be surprised to find yourself on hold for 30 minutes or more. BUT they will take care of you eventually.

let us know what you discover. hopefully an update with DJI assistant 2 will do the trick.

Last edited:
I don't really want to be dishonest, and besides, for the price I got these at, I'm not too unhappy with the head tracking not working. I did do the latest update hoping that would do something, but no dice.

The mention of Ebay was probably not wise advise. Also, there is a chance they could be stolen when bought on ebay, which i'm sure isn't the case, but you never know. Maybe the updates would be best. I did read one post where the drone, controller, and goggles all had to have the same firmware build.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent