DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles used for "normal" FPV

GerdS

Reactions
Besides my DJI dones I have other FPV-equipped copters and r/c models such as my SplashDrone and boats, too.

Up to now I have used my FatShark HD2 goggles for them, either with internal video receiver or connected to my BlackPearl monitor with its internal diversity receiver.

After getting the DJI goggles for Mavic with its great image quality I thought about using it for my other FPV equipment, too, hoping for same outstanding video quality and better than with FatShark.
As the DJI Goggles only have a HDMI input I had to improvise a bit for connecting my analog video receiver to the goggles.

This is my setup, as an example with my old Walkera Ladybird and the transmitter-camera-combo FX797T, at the rear left side.
IMG_0425.jpg

Next image shows the setup from behind. A CVBS-to-HDMI converter is attached to the monitor by velcro. Usually the converter is powered via a USB source, but I got a little UBEC module for powering it out of the BlackPearl monitor battery.
IMG_0428.jpg

Finally this image shows how it looks like within the goggles and that's great, no comparison with FatShark!
IMG_0427.jpg

In case of disturbed video signal the system reacts quite robust. Only total video loss (white noise) will lead to showing the DJI start screen within the goggles, but theywill immediately come back to video as soon as a signal is available.

Investments have been:
- HDMI converter for 11,55€ (AMANKA Mini AV auf HDMI Konverter 3RCA Composite CVBS: Amazon.de: Elektronik)
- UBEC for 6,99€ (BEC UBEC Mini 5V, 2S-6S, 3A, Spannungswandler FPV APM NAZE32 CC3D RACE COPTER | eBay)
- Connectors, about 6,00€

I have a similar setup. The video feed to hdmi lags a little too much for fast flight. It's ok for slow flight.

I have seen very little lagging with my setup. Maybe too much for a hardcore racing pilot, but low latency enough for any others.

Maybe, but as it's an imported China product it should be available by other dealers, too.
The problem is there are are dozens of similar looking ones, and I've personally tried at least 2 with that look/form factor that were unusable. So that one probably has something "special" and it's great, but since nothing but the German-only brand distinguishes them it's not helping much.

Just search for "Amanka AV to HDMI" by Google amd you should get lots of hits. They seem to differ just in colour from mine.
I have used it with 720p setting, maybe using 1080p is more latency, not tested yet as video quality was almost same.

Last edited:
Yes, still none of them shipping to my country apart from one where it comes out at $70 with shipping, they're pretty much all USA-only. Will wait to at least have the goggles and try my existing solutions to see if it's worth spending that much in another that's jsut a bit more compact.

Yes, still none of them shipping to my country apart from one where it comes out at $70 with shipping, they're pretty much all USA-only.
Then ask someone at Germany near Switzerland to buy a converter for you, do a trip to him and get it there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent