DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles vs. Litchi VR

pseudeep

Reactions
I'm probably going to get pounded on for asking this question but I really would like to know.

Litchi VR + VR Goggles = $50 approximately
DJI Goggles = $450

What do I get for the extra $400 that I'm spending for the goggles? Here's what I gather:

1. Superior resolution
2. Some ability to control the drone/change settings using the goggles touchpad (right?)
3. No wires connecting the remote and Goggles.

What else? Has someone been able to truly compare the two (unbiased)? I'd really be interested to know. Thanks.

I'm probably going to get pounded on for asking this question but I really would like to know.

DJI Goggles = $450

What do I get for the extra $400 that I'm spending for the goggles? Here's what I gather:

1. Superior resolution
2. Some ability to control the drone/change settings using the goggles touchpad (right?)

What else? Has someone been able to truly compare the two (unbiased)? I'd really be interested to know. Thanks.
I smack you with a whale. You can control the gimbal with your head and look around while flying, you can playback flights directly on the Goggles. Incredibly low lag and latency. You also have a superior connection quality, offering a higher range.

Reactions: AIRJORGE

DJI Goggles = $450

1. Superior resolution

Everything you mentioned plus ability to use flight modes, zoom 4x, plus having a second person wearing your other goggles running litchi at the same time

Reactions: AIRJORGE
The screen on the Dji goggles looks far better than any set of VR goggles I have tried . There is also no screen door effect as you have with any smartphone inside a VR headset .

Reactions: jdl
I have used Litchi with cardboard goggles from the very beginning in December. Since Tuesday I have the DJI goggles, too.
The Litchi solution is the poor man's solution. Not bad, but with lagging video especially during turns and there is a visible latency to the camera, too. Head tracking with Litchi works, but far from being convincing, it's more a technology demonstration.
It is also stress to the smartphone, which risks to overhead, especially now on warm and sunny days.
Connectors and cables are a further weak point.
Now in summertime you have to be extremly cautious with avoiding the sun shining into the goggle glasses when taking the glasses off, e.g. for landing. Less than 10 seconds of carelessness was enough to ruin my smartphone screen with two white permanent spots!

The DJI goggles in contrast show a very smooth, absolutely lag-free image with very low latency. It's a feeling as if flying with a tradidional analog video transmission sytsem, just far better quality As you can turn it upwards for natural sight there is few chance for the sun shining onto the lenses.
And as mentioned already, you have access to lots of aircraft settings with the goggle, not available while Litchi is in VR mde.
So for me I clearly prefer flying with the DJI goggles. But I will continue using the cardboard goggles if I am low on space for transportation or don't want to carry the bulky and heavy DJI goggles with me, e.g. for hking.

Reactions: pseudeep
Hello Pilots, I plan on purchasing a set of VR goggles to try with my iphone 6 before I invest it the DJI goggles to see if it is for me. What is a good VR goggle (brand) to buy? Also, what is the screen door effect with VR headset? Thanks.

Thanks GerdS for a great comparison of the two. Don't get me wrong everyone...I am almost ready to pull the trigger and buy the Goggles myself (once they are back in stock) :) But I wanted to be able to justify them to myself. The low lag/latency that you and others have mentioned will probably be one of the biggest reasons for me to get these (besides the superior resolution, of course).

Hello in here - am I the only one struggle with poor image quality in my new DJI Googles, compared to the view in Litchi FPV om my old Iphone 5s?
Using DJI Googles is often like seeing Netflix on a unstable internet connection.

Yesterday after 5-600m flight distance with just at smal non-rock hill connection got total lost :-( on my DJI Googles, but stayed ok om the connected Iphone. Also the colors on the Iphone are far better.

Question: is the transmission so much better between the controller and the Mavic, compared with Googles and Mavic

Reactions: afsrj
Hello in here - am I the only one struggle with poor image quality in my new DJI Googles, compared to the view in Litchi FPV om my old Iphone 5s?
Using DJI Googles is often like seeing Netflix on a unstable internet connection.

Yesterday after 5-600m flight distance with just at smal non-rock hill connection got total lost :-( on my DJI Googles, but stayed ok om the connected Iphone. Also the colors on the Iphone are far better.

Question: is the transmission so much better between the controller and the Mavic, compared with Googles and Mavic

I do also have this doubt

Have made the opposite experience about range. Was away quite far and lost connection between controller and Mavic while the goggles still worked without problems.

Yes, tracking left right they can, but gets very fast out of sync. Then you have to reset or look 20-30 degrees to either left or right, to look straight forward again. Anyone fixed this?

Have made the opposite experience about range. Was away quite far and lost connection between controller and Mavic while the goggles still worked without problems.

Nice to hear - do you also experience many changes in image quality on your DJI googles, compared to phone connected to controller

My personal experience/2cents....

I usually use litchi vr with Vr box on a Nexus 5 for environmental/aerial survey work and have been fairly happy with what you get for your buck $60AUD compared to $769AUD for DJI. I certainly wouldnt go nuts in sport mode with them but with a bit of training they are pretty good.

I finally received my much anticipated DJI goggles after 4 months of waiting. Ran through the startup and activation and some quick menu stuff then gave them a flight.

The first thing I noticed was the head tracking was fast and smooth (huge improvement over litchi)and the picture delay significantly reduced (compared to DJI go/litchi). Before long I was racing around in sport mode skimming the tree tops comfortably. In fact so comfortably that motion sickness took over. To be honest I don't use head tracking in litchi as the motion sickness gets me even then. The DJI tracking is even better and the screen size more immersive which brings it on fast. A positive indicator for DJI!

After 10 minutes flight I noticed I was getting a headache from the headband. With VR units you usually get elastic straps that obviously conform to your head but with DJI the band is ridgid to cater for battery and antennas. I tried different positions, read up on forums for options and even contacted DJI support to see what I could do. Suffice to say I obviously have Neanderthal throw backs. DJI stated there was no option to correct the issue and I would just have to put up with it. There are a few forums that discuss this issue and it appears it can occur where units are designed upon different 'ethnicities'. (I'll stick to that story). Unfortunately this also resulted in light leakage and I found myself having to turn away from the sun which meant head tracking was very difficult.

For those with less than 20/20, VR goggles usually give you IPD adjustment and eye focus. With the DJI you don't get focus and even with glasses it can be very difficult to get the screen nice and clear. Others have suggested you need to get your optometrist to make you glasses specific for goggles. What ?!?

So what does this all mean... Well if you fit Da Vinci's mold and you are happy to fork out the cash you will love them. If however you vary from as much there might be some compromise. Remember if you activate them there is no going back as I have found out dealing with DJI. For me the compromise was too much so I have sold them and gone back to litchi. Yes the VR method is not perfect but for $700 less?!? As always it's a personal preference based on your needs.

Test a friend's unit first if you question your genetic roots!

Last edited:
Reactions: Variv and gumaco
This mean, wait for the next next generation, LOL.

I like to use Litchi's immersive mode, you turn, it turns.

Only thing that I don't like about Litchi's immersive mode, the brake reaction is slow. You need to counter act , say 10-20 feet in advance.

The rest is fair with its price.

I would like to try Litchi VR first, but I cannot find a VR headset for my Galaxy S8+. The Gear VR blocks the USB slot on the phone. Has anyone else found a solution that doesn't required modifying a $100+ Galaxy VR headset?

Let me give an idea...
How to Use VR Box as a FPV

1. RC connect to Iphone by Cable + Litchi
2. Android put in VR
3. Mirroring the Iphone into the Android

I think with this is the same formula, DJI google has its own screen
I never tried this before, because i am not gadget expert
But i think there is a delay during the mirroring

I would like to try Litchi VR first, but I cannot find a VR headset for my Galaxy S8+. The Gear VR blocks the USB slot on the phone. Has anyone else found a solution that doesn't required modifying a $100+ Galaxy VR headset?
Look here: Good VR Goggles for use with Litchi App
I have originally used this headset with my Sony Xperia XZ and it worked well. Meanwhile I don't use it very often as I got the DJI Goggles, but as I also changed my phone to the S8+ I at least tried if it would work. And yes it fits!

I always thought FPV would "isolate me from the real world" so I wasn't at all interested in FPV goggles. Besides, $400? I'd have to be out of mind! But I was curious, so yesterday I bought a nicely designed plastic VR headset from Walmart for $5. Yes, $5. Tried it out today. Wow! it was a whole new experience!

The device was laggy. The display was dark, and was limited by the poor resolution of my iPhone 7", but it got me hooked on FPV (at least for flying in familiar terrain), and with a spotter. Suddenly $400 doesn't sound so bad. I'll be placing my order for DJI goggles before the end of the year.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa