DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GS Pro vs. Litchi vs. Autopilot

Oyibo VFX

Reactions
Hello all

Did a great time of flying today and have mixed feelings.

Yesterday I tried to have a go with Autopilot and that didn't go well. After about 100 meters, it lost connection to the bird and it disengaged. Did some re-runs but the same thing happened over and over again.
Also the screen recording has it's own life and although switched on... it didn't record.
Today, I did the same track with Litchi and that basically worked. It followed the Way points and came back as it should. But still issues with the screen record.
When I get a little over confident, I changed the parameters of the last 2 way points but for some reason it flew backwards and very low. So... into the fence of our tennis court (scary moments).
Then I tried the same flight again with Autopilot and now it did stay connected.
But I hate the screen setup of Autopilot. So much information but it's impossible to find what you need during your flight. I need to check their YouTube movies again.
Then I tried to use DJI GS Pro but I could not get passed the start up screen. I need to check that better tomorrow.

My first observations...

Litchi. Easier to program and they have a web interface which is gold here (iPad 3 mini works but is not ideal)
- footage is sharp (autofocus worked fine) but gimbal leads his own life and you're filming the weirdest angles
- Far from smooth

Autopilot. Programming is a hell (no web interface) and just too much parameters that are not necessary.
- Screen record stops or even doesn't start.
- Program stops by it self and screen freezes
- Makes a way points direct if you touch the screen for a menu
- Screen reaction is extremely slow during flight. Its just too complicated
- Keeps telling me that 30km further is an airport (I know that) and wants me to register at DJI. Then the screen freezes
- Filming quality is absolute top. Gimbal is very smooth, yaw is very smooth. Much better then anything else.

DJI GS Pro. Easy to program waypoints but difficult to upload.
- Didn't figure out how to add POI
- Didn't got the Mavic flying

I must say here that I use my iPhone (6S Plus 64GB) and iPad (mini 3 cellular) with iOS Beta. But this should not be a problem normally.
I'll do some reading tonight and hope to have finally a screen record tomorrow.

Reactions: Daryls2000
Did a lot of reading on Autopilot and I must say... it has a lot. Set up my path a little differently and that looks much better. More flying today

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Not sure what your issue was but I downloaded GS Pro at the field to my iPad, set a path and flew it without an issue at all - so 5 minutes from first view of GS Pro to Mavic in the air ... the flight went perfectly fine - 3500m covered ...

Reactions: Flashcot
This morning did three batteries with Autopilot and still have issues. Filming went well actually but still disengage three of the four flights, screen freeze and stop the entire app.
Did a new path with Litchi what went well except the gimbal setting. The waypoints and POI worked well but filmed something I didn't program.
Will do the same note with DJI VS Pro
We'll see

Hey, Yes, all Beta and I think that effects Autopilot.
Did three the same runs today (about 4,5km) and all Apps did well.
So, for now I have to say...
DJI GS Pro works actually fine, does what it says but almost no possibilities for filming
- Setting the gimbal at -45 did the trick and the footage is nice
- No screen record

Litchi works good as well. More flexible dan DJI GS Pro but the gimbal leads his own life. Can't use this for proper filming. The ground view of the camera ruins the footage and also goes back unattended.
- Screen record works good but difficult to save the recording. Dunno why...

Autopilot is actually still the most professional App. As soon as you know how to do it, programming becomes a little easier although it might take a lot more flights to do it properly.

My last flight (al three Apps flew the same route), the footage is comparable but again, Autopilot lost connection after completing the flight. The screen froze and I also lost the screen record.

But again... that might be the beta software. I think I go back to the original iOS and try again.

For now... Autopilot still wins, a little distance followed Litchi and DJI GS Pro last. It is the easiest but also few options for filming. But I guess for pictures it works good enough.

Now lets see if I can get something on YouTube

IMG_3194.jpg

I'm a Mac guy. MacBook Pro (soon buy the new one), iPhone 6S Plus 64, iPad 3 mini cellular (which I use for flying).
And I'm down grading the iPad back to iOS official (no more beta).
So, that's it

Last edited:
While iOS beta is not always the culprit I believe it is always running a log for Apple's development team when crashes are reported. That could eat up resources and unintentionally disrupt a running app that requires heavy processing. Just a thought.

You are absolutely right. And although I still believe in the bèta concept, sometimes it just is not finished and polished.
I run OSX10.12.4 bèta on my Mac, there are some issues. But heavy apps like Final Cut Pro X runs like a charm. ACDSee on the other hand.....

I am so not happy
I have downgraded my iPad, did a clean install of everything and guess what...
Nothing changed.
It still crashes and it still disengage and still freezes my iPad.
I have sent an email to Autoflight and asked my money back.
The app is great (when it works) but very unreliable.
I'll remove it from my system again
So, DJI GS Pro and manual operation it is.
Free apps seems better then the paid apps (Litchi gives even more wahala and not just to me)

Pffffffff, so frustrated. I did a flight after work, loaded the same track in first Litchi and flew. Flight went well beside the fact that after about 80% of the flight, the gimbal went crazy again. I could not override with the jogshuttle so that remains the same.
I did the same flight again with Autopilot and that went well until about 40%. Then the same problem.
Then... I did the same flight with Autopilot but from my iPhone (with the beta iOS) and that went well. I could record the screen and basically no problem.
I reflew the flight with my iPad and that went well. The whole way. Until it came to the end of mission and the bird start to hover (as in the program). But then the screen froze (again). It would like that it might be the iPad. But that is very far fetched.
And until I can test this worth my wives iPad, I just wait for an update.
Maybe interesting to say but I had the RC with the iPad on a table after the start. Didn't touch the whole time

Reactions: LelandS
Had contact with Autoflight. Very friendly but doesn't help me much
Made a new complex route, less high, less far and more waypoint actions but.... no go
Need to check further

I'm in contact with the tech department of Autoflight and sent them fight data. Seems they are taking my issue serious. Me like

Adventure is just bad planning

Yesterday I was able to do my first complex flight without issues. I just could not record the screen. I also did a flight (shorter) where I took photos instead of videos (need that for a timeline) and that worked good.
The problem here is that the difference between Google Earth and reality is big. So difficult to place the camera triggers

2689891be71eee7d8f6a1230c61919ad.jpg

Hey all,

I just put a small vid on YouTube with the complete route in Autopilot
The movie will follow after I'm done with it

The story continues...
I am in contact with Autoflight and today I did a test flight to compare the iPad and the iPhone.
And half way my flight, also the App crashed on my iPhone. I'm happy because I know now that the issue is not with me.
I'm not happy because I can't use either Litchi (gimbal issues) as Autopilot.
I have a Timeline Waypoint route on Autopilot what works but still not the way I want.

1) it stops at completing the flight
2) I can't re-adjust the waypoints for better positioning

The big thing is that (if it works) Autopilot is a charm. I love to work with it
Tomorrow I go do some follow and tracking with my Jeep. I'll post the results

So, the rest of the story? Did you ever get any of the three apps to work well enough for useable video?

Which app did you end up using? It seemed you had a fair number of problems with all of them, did you get the problems worked out?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54