DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

Not sure if we are allowed to post images but I did a quick pano late Wednesday arvo and although I have a lot of tweaking of the camera settings to do I was impressed with the stability of the camera whilst panning the Mavic. The stitching was seemless.
View media item 207

Really like that shot, do you just take single shots with the Mavic and then stitch them together ?

Really like that shot, do you just take single shots with the Mavic and then stitch them together ?

Thanks and no, I was testing out the new firmware load to make sure it was okay and decided to take a few sunset shots at the same time. :) The weather here in Alice has been very wet since before Christmas day so much so that all the roads around Alice are closed due to flooding. Hopefully the weather will improve in the next few days and I can take the Mavic out to do some serious flying.

Thanks and no, I was testing out the new firmware load to make sure it was okay and decided to take a few sunset shots at the same time. :) The weather here in Alice has been very wet since before Christmas day so much so that all the roads around Alice are closed due to flooding. Hopefully the weather will improve in the next few days and I can take the Mavic out to do some serious flying.
Thanks for that info, when you say new firmware what version are you using ? and does that version do the pana shots ?

Hope your weather improves soon, would be good to see some vid of the wet weather up that way, we were lucky about 3 years ago heading towards Alice, other travelers told us that the Todd was in flood so we traveled a bit faster to get there to see it

when you say new firmware what version are you using ? and does that version do the pana shots ?

I upgraded to DJI Go 4.01 and the drone and batteries to Firmware : v01.03.0200.

Not sure if it does panoramic images or not I will have to check on that. Unfortunately the rain is still coming down here so flying is out of the question till it fines up they are predicting that the sunshine should return on Monday and stay fine all week after that. :)

The Todd is flowing at the moment and so is the Finke, Palmer and Hugh rivers to the west of us, the road to Glen Helen is closed with water flowing over the road in all the creek crossings.

Here's some video taken in the first few days of flying the Mavic around some the local trails.

Beaut video, I am intrigued though. What is it that appears to be moving over the landscape at 2:50 through to 2:54?

Beaut video, I am intrigued though. What is it that appears to be moving over the landscape at 2:50 through to 2:54?
It's just a tree/bush (Melaleuca or Tea tree maybe). It sort of looks ghostly for some reason. I have since turned the sharpness down a bit from the default settings.

I'm Chris Tangey, based in Alice Springs NT for 28 years, about 20 years of that as a camera person. I shoot corporate videos but also pro stuff including docos, music videos etc.
I had the original Phantom but it was way too complicated to fly commercially, so I sold it cheap. Now the new CASA regs have encouraged me to train-up on the Mavic Pro for a few weeks, I have 5 batteries and it's amazing how you can actually use all of those quite quickly, especially if you want to be on the "safe side" getting the machine home when you are shooting something fairly intense. I've done some testing with polar pro filters here:
and the website is here: http://www.alicespringsftv.com/ Thanks.

I'm Chris Tangey, based in Alice Springs NT for 28 years, about 20 years of that as a camera person. I shoot corporate videos but also pro stuff including docos, music videos etc.
I had the original Phantom but it was way too complicated to fly commercially, so I sold it cheap. Now the new CASA regs have encouraged me to train-up on the Mavic Pro for a few weeks, I have 5 batteries and it's amazing how you can actually use all of those quite quickly, especially if you want to be on the "safe side" getting the machine home when you are shooting something fairly intense. I've done some testing with polar pro filters here:
and the website is here: http://www.alicespringsftv.com/ Thanks.
Very nice! Good to know you're considering the Mavic is up to the task for your level of work.

Very nice! Good to know you're considering the Mavic is up to the task for your level of work.
Thanks but there are certain limitations on specs by Broadcasters, so I've already been told that the Mavic Pro will not be acceptable to BBC, NHK and Discovery just off the spec sheet
(the 4K bit rate is too low and they don't like the codec) however there are many Broadcasters who don't ask, and its fine for news, corporate videos etc.

yeah, if I could get it past the wife! No, I had to weigh up a few things... I think this will just be for mid range work, maybe in a couple of years I'll see what else is floating around (so to speak!) To be realistic, most big international clients bring in their own people like Heliguys out of Sydney or Aerial Advantage from Brisbane because they often insist that there are two Ops, one on camera and one flying anyway. Anyway I'm sure I'll be able to justify the purchase.

Reactions: Fausto
Hi all. New here. Just FYI. I bought a mavic pro combo from Johnny Appleseed in Brisbane 3 days ago. Apparently the Annerley and Rocklea stores still have a few in stock on the shelves. Website still shows between 1-4 units in stock. I was thrilled to be able to purchase straight up without a painstaking wait list with online ordering. So if you are keen to buy now call the store to see if stock listed is still accurate and available. Hope you are as lucky as me. Mick.

Last edited:
So who's still waiting for their Mavic? I ordered on the 16th Oct and called the place I ordered today and they said they are looking at deliveries later this month....

So who's still waiting for their Mavic? I ordered on the 16th Oct and called the place I ordered today and they said they are looking at deliveries later this month....
I ordered from Rise Above on November 15. Apparently I am 367 on their waiting list. I received an e-mail today stating that they are expecting 25-30 units that are currently awaiting custom's clearance. At their current rate of delivery I will be lucky to see mine before Christmas this year! Australian resellers have been shafted! I've seen posts on other sites where some lucky individuals have picked them up off the shelf from stores like Harvey Norman and JB Hi Fi. "Not happy Jan!"

I ordered from Rise Above on November 15. Apparently I am 367 on their waiting list. I received an e-mail today stating that they are expecting 25-30 units that are currently awaiting custom's clearance. At their current rate of delivery I will be lucky to see mine before Christmas this year! Australian resellers have been shafted! I've seen posts on other sites where some lucky individuals have picked them up off the shelf from stores like Harvey Norman and JB Hi Fi. "Not happy Jan!"
I also order from Rise Above on the 19th but cancelled my order from them in December when it was clear they were not getting a large shipments.

I then pre ordered PhaserFPV but I got one from JB HI-FI the week before Christmas.

Today PhaserFPV posted they will be getting more in the next 1 or 2 weeks. If you want one contact them through Thier website.

Phaser FPV - Service and Speed Guaranteed

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I ordered from Rise Above on the 11th Oct and was 134 on the list. With their expected 25-30 delivery, I'd say they'd only be half way through the list to me. I found one at jbhifi just before christmas and cancelled the rise above order.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000