DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

Hey everyone from wa, goin up the kimberleys haven't flown it much coz of work, be on a boat for 2 weeks camping on the odd island mostly on the boat, going deep in so be real remote, flying over water is freaking me out abit any tips would be greatly appreciated, haven't updated my mavic or app or remote out of fear from some of the threads I have read, being so remote with **** signal might be a worry, bought the cinema series pro 6 pack of filters hope they give some good footage any help or tips would be awesome!!!

Hi Bilzy6164,
I have had no problems with the latest firmware updates.
I use an IPhone 6s - It seems there may be more problems on android devices.
There is a way to pre-cache maps if you know your area. BUT Kimberly is a huge space!
One simple tip on my pre-flight checklist, is to make sure the antennas are unfolded and pointed properly. Once things got sluggish mid flight and I noticed they were down!
Personally I would go with current updates (with the new Find My Drone) especially if it has been out a while, but your call. Despite a lot of comments DJI are not silly with updates.
There are some good vids on take off / landing by hand. Good for in a boat, but practice somewhere easy first.
My best advice (I am fairly new at this) is to gradually grow your comfort zone with a number of flights even if they are short and simple. Preferably with a clear head by yourself. Stay visual. Get ready for a quick climb if birds get interested so suggest Sports Mode is not disabled.
Be aware there can be much more wind higher than at ground level. Mavic handles wind pretty well, but planning a downwind return may be better for your pulse!

I would choose to come back home with some content even if not great, rather than go for a 'big hit' past my limit and crash and burn and end up with nothing!
I have plenty of great Kimberley pics but only pre Mavic from ground level.

You will have a great trip!
Good luck.

Th
Hi Bilzy6164,
I have had no problems with the latest firmware updates.
I use an IPhone 6s - It seems there may be more problems on android devices.
There is a way to pre-cache maps if you know your area. BUT Kimberly is a huge space!
One simple tip on my pre-flight checklist, is to make sure the antennas are unfolded and pointed properly. Once things got sluggish mid flight and I noticed they were down!
Personally I would go with current updates (with the new Find My Drone) especially if it has been out a while, but your call. Despite a lot of comments DJI are not silly with updates.
There are some good vids on take off / landing by hand. Good for in a boat, but practice somewhere easy first.
My best advice (I am fairly new at this) is to gradually grow your comfort zone with a number of flights even if they are short and simple. Preferably with a clear head by yourself. Stay visual. Get ready for a quick climb if birds get interested so suggest Sports Mode is not disabled.
Be aware there can be much more wind higher than at ground level. Mavic handles wind pretty well, but planning a downwind return may be better for your pulse!

I would choose to come back home with some content even if not great, rather than go for a 'big hit' past my limit and crash and burn and end up with nothing!
I have plenty of great Kimberley pics but only pre Mavic from ground level.

You will have a great trip!
Good luck.

Thanks for the reply mate, I'm running an iphone7 plus now got it the other day so had a fresh phone, how do u cache maps?

Some of the posts on this forum are scary, but remember there are 17,000 forum members and only a handful of crash stories. So the majority of Mavic Pro flyers are doing OK. Add to that, the majority of crashes turn out to be pilot error so the percentage of machine failure is even lower.
My advice is to practice practice practice before you go on the trip. I have a favourite park and visit there often just to fly, often without even videoing so I get to know exactly how the bird handles - it is my first real drone. Then worry about video later.
Hand launching and catching is a doddle once you have done it a few times. It's pretty much my standard take-off/landing system these days.

Be sure to post some vids here when you return, it's a spectacular part of the country for photography. Jealous I am.

I have cached google maps on iPhone, but not sure if they carry over to DJI GO 4. Someone might know this. In any case it is good to have on your phone. Did this for iPhone navigation around Honolulu and it worked well offline.
I think the DJI map cache works if your "pre-fly" on the screen over intended areas whilst connected to the internet.
Boost your cache values in the app, not not certain if this covers images/videos as well as map data.
Suggest putting a GO 4 manual local copy on you iPhone or iPad- just go to DJI website and in the support and open it in you iPhone safari and when touching the top, tap on the "open in iBooks " - Done [emoji736]
For general map purposes I have a couple of free offline maps. Check the App Store for Aus Maps, navmii Australia & NZ, Australia. I like Motionx for other mapping and tracking and distance measuring etc. Your iPhone is also a great camera, make sure the location use is turned on because photos give a great reference on where you have been.

I have cached google maps on iPhone, but not sure if they carry over to DJI GO 4. Someone might know this. In any case it is good to have on your phone. Did this for iPhone navigation around Honolulu and it worked well offline.
I think the DJI map cache works if your "pre-fly" on the screen over intended areas whilst connected to the internet.
Boost your cache values in the app, not not certain if this covers images/videos as well as map data.
Suggest putting a GO 4 manual local copy on you iPhone or iPad- just go to DJI website and in the support and open it in you iPhone safari and when touching the top, tap on the "open in iBooks " - Done [emoji736]
For general map purposes I have a couple of free offline maps. Check the App Store for Aus Maps, navmii Australia & NZ, Australia. I like Motionx for other mapping and tracking and distance measuring etc. Your iPhone is also a great camera, make sure the location use is turned on because photos give a great reference on where you have been.

023fd1e0133286c707aecebb88f9c25d.jpg

An example.
At the time it is very obvious where you are, but in years to come it is great to have the reference. Your DJI movie making could benefit from some iPhone content which can also shoot in 4K, but 325mb per minute! I always advise people not to get the low memory iPhone!

I think most of my footage is from flying above rivers, lakes and sea :) I need to find new scenery around in NSW :)

Australia is your Oyster.
Personally love water always changing.
Yeah that is true!

The funny thing is that, I feel nervous everytime I DONT fly over the water.
If im flying over the ocean or a lake I feel so confident.

Over the ground im scared about powerlines that might be lurking between mountains haha...

Yeah I haven't flown much cos of work and being so remote freaking about signal and **** and landing on the boat haha u guys recon I should update everything before I go I get home the day before I go and won't be able to update up there so won't be able to test fly after update what's ur take?

Yeah I haven't flown much cos of work and being so remote freaking about signal and **** and landing on the boat haha u guys recon I should update everything before I go I get home the day before I go and won't be able to update up there so won't be able to test fly after update what's ur take?

Well updating or not is up to you. For me all update have worked great but you mileage mighht vary

Hi Aussie Pilots. Just bought a Mavic Pro two weeks ago. After a couple of years of building my own, this thing is a dream. So easy to use.
I'm in NE NSW near the QLD border. After seeing someone's post about the Hover app, I find I'm in Restricted Special Use Airspace D656A (Gold Coast). Can anyone help with the definition of this? What exactly are the restrictions? Trying to fly responsibly!

Hi Aussie Pilots. Just bought a Mavic Pro two weeks ago. After a couple of years of building my own, this thing is a dream. So easy to use.
I'm in NE NSW near the QLD border. After seeing someone's post about the Hover app, I find I'm in Restricted Special Use Airspace D656A (Gold Coast). Can anyone help with the definition of this? What exactly are the restrictions? Trying to fly responsibly!

This might be a handy guide.. From a training organisation.
Your key item may be distance (3 nautical miles) from a controlled airport.

1a839e1fdcc5c5c50779027c39590ce9.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji