DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

Not sure if they still have them, but Kmart used to have little $29 helicopters. Not a drone, can't be flown in direct sun (infra red control) and can not handle any wind at all bit teaches you the most important part of flying a non plane type craft, orientation. If you have never flown a drone before grab one and have a blast with it. Loads of fun and teaches you mustle reactions. Cheap learning!

I have been flying RC planes, gliders, helicopters and high speed racing planes (200kmh with a 750 gram piece of foam...) for 35+ years and the mavic is by far the easiest thing I have ever flown. And I am still nervous every time I launch!

Shame you are not further north actually, could show you how easy it really is :)

The real beauty I have found is the video, not really anything to do with the flying. And now learning the art of editing too.

Reactions: stratos and EJay
Thanks for your input SeaComms.
I think I will take the punt and go for a cheapy first for the experience. I am in NO rush to become a "Top Gun" pilot. I just want to take my time and be comfortable with a steady learning curve. Piloting first ... photography second seems to be the go.

Thanks for the heads up on the price. How long ago?? I have read all of the posts on this forum previously but can't remember everything. Way way too much to absorb in such a short time.

Looking forward to get active.
Cheers,
I only bought mine about 4 weeks ago!

This was my third flight...

Reactions: Havinacrackatit
Anyway Havinacrackatit, you mentioned the Mavic is "easy to fly but complex with its gadgetry", my comment is that the flying side and the camera side can be as simple or as complex as you want and it is scary, fun, nerve wracking, challenging, exciting and rewarding growing with all that is Mavic, not to mention the movie editing creating side, soooo I think you Bettahavacrackatit!

Hi EJay. Thanks for sharing your experiences and the encouraging words.
I am really keen to experience piloting/flying a quad drone I will head into town tomorrow and check out what is available locally.

Hi BeeDrone.
Thanks for the reply. Have been thinking about buying a cheepy drone to "Hava-crackatit" with mixed thoughts. didn't want to be put off with something that I might have hated, yet to gain some experience would be beneficial.
My quote regarding the Mavic being easy to pilot was based on posts read on this forum and read on other reviews.

I'd be interested if you wanted to divulge the price you paid from JB Hi-Fi. I am leaning very much towards the "fly more" package and looked at Aus Camera's site last night.

I have an basic interest in photography and thinking I could expand my interest there as well as experience the joys of "flying high".
Also reading many comments I would do my utmost to be completely compliant with casa rules/regs and not want to get offside with any of the public. Have read of a few instances here. I have a good local footy field away from housing in my immediate area which would be great to use during the days when no-one is there (most days). I am also very close to the ocean front (not common swim areas) which would be great to utilise once i gain some experience and confidence.

Cheers.

Hey Havinacrackatit,
You can't learn to swim standing on the bank!
Let us know when you decide [emoji1301]

You are only young twice - once when you are, and once when you act like it!
[emoji818]️[emoji327][emoji108]

I am really keen to experience piloting/flying a quad drone I will head into town tomorrow and check out what is available locally.

Good move - otherwise you might have to prefix your name with Not.... [emoji23]

... teaches you the most important part of flying a non plane type craft, orientation. If you have never flown a drone before grab one and have a blast with it. Loads of fun and teaches you mustle reactions. Cheap learning!

I have been flying RC planes, gliders, helicopters and high speed racing planes (200kmh with a 750 gram piece of foam...) for 35+ years and the mavic is by far the easiest thing I have ever flown. And I am still nervous every time I launch! ......
The real beauty I have found is the video, not really anything to do with the flying. And now learning the art of editing too.

Hi SeaComms. Sounds like you have plenty of experience flying RC's.
I can understand about being nervous launching with price of them. But must be a real buzz seeing it come back and landing!

I viewed your video the other night and again today. It is fantastic!
I am a boating man and love the waterways.
I've read many posts regarding camera operation and editing ... that will be a whole new world for me.
Taking advice from some replies I am going into Port Macquarie tomorrow to have a look around at drones and hopefully come home with a cheapy to have a play with.
But am super keen to get a Mavic in the VERY near future.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers

Just a quick comment about this forum.
I think it is one of the most pleasant forums to read the posts ... as most of them are all positive and I feel a sense of excitement seems to be shared by all. I have read every post on this (Australia) forum and everyone just helps others in the group with positive comments. Great to be part of. I only hope somewhere down the track I can contribute something worthwhile.
Cheers and thanks to all.

Reactions: SeaComms
Just a quick comment about this forum.
I think it is one of the most pleasant forums to read the posts ... as most of them are all positive and I feel a sense of excitement seems to be shared by all. I have read every post on this (Australia) forum and everyone just helps others in the group with positive comments. Great to be part of. I only hope somewhere down the track I can contribute something worthwhile.
Cheers and thanks to all.

Yep I agree. It has replaced my FB, not that I was a big timer there.

This is where I got mine. Currently $2,039 with checkout disc including :
64gb card (which I am thankful for ..16gb is a bit small)
postage & transit insurance
Then I did the DJI insurance - online on arrival, because you need the serial number.

DJI Mavic Pro Combo + 64GB incl. 2 Extra Batteries - Fly More

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a total drone newbie. From Townsville NQ.
Haven't gone through all 34 pages of chat, but scrolling though, the footage (videos and photos) you all get is awesome and the reason I bought a drone! I'm an avid hobbiest photographer (DSLR and GoPro) and waste so much money on buying cheap crap to work my way up to the good stuff, so decided I'd go straight to the Mavic Pro (friend has the Phantom 4, but it was too big for me with my adventuring).
I've had a few little flies, first couple were under supervision of my Phantom owning friend. The 1st time I flew on my own, I experienced birds attacking it and freaked out. Lost where I was going and thought I was going to end up in the drink (was over water at the time). It taught me not to panic in future and I've since been practicing perfecting the flying control, rather than learning the camera. Can't wait to get there...

They are the old farms and dairies that used to be around the lake before the city made it up here.

Reactions: Emu
Can anyone help with a question? Around most of the towns is a fligt zone of RMZ with upper and lower limits. I understand that RMZ is Mandatory radio and the upper and lower is altitudes that this zone applies to. What I don't understand is how this applies to drones. Where I want to fly today has a Class RMZ Upper Unl (unlimited?) Lower SFC (?). Does this mean that I have to have a radio to fly AT ALL in this zone? I want to comply with the rules and do the right thing but I don't find it easy to decipher the jargon. I would be grateful if someone with more experience can shed some light. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll