DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

Hi, I'm a total drone newbie. From Townsville NQ.
Haven't gone through all 34 pages of chat, but scrolling though, the footage (videos and photos) you all get is awesome and the reason I bought a drone! I'm an avid hobbiest photographer (DSLR and GoPro) and waste so much money on buying cheap crap to work my way up to the good stuff, so decided I'd go straight to the Mavic Pro (friend has the Phantom 4, but it was too big for me with my adventuring).
I've had a few little flies, first couple were under supervision of my Phantom owning friend. The 1st time I flew on my own, I experienced birds attacking it and freaked out. Lost where I was going and thought I was going to end up in the drink (was over water at the time). It taught me not to panic in future and I've since been practicing perfecting the flying control, rather than learning the camera. Can't wait to get there...

Hi workfortravel,
I posted this in a different place and there are other tips here if you search for 'bird'.

BIRD DEFENCE
I have had curious birds repeatedly circling (pigeons, seagulls & smaller birds) but no real attacks so far.
What I have learned from others and a small amount of experience, the plan is to do a QUICK VERTICAL CLIMB (Sports Mode good here) and so far my birds have gone away and lost interest.
Such a climb manoeuvre is "un bird like" and they possibly feel less threatened.
Birds of prey quickly dive on you, so bit sad if you don't see them coming!
I haven't tried it, but another flyer suggested some 'high visibility safety colour' stuck somewhere can reduce the threat because it is not a colour found in nature i.e. not another bird or animal.

Hopefully someone can try this tip and let us know.

Hi workfortravel,
I posted this in a different place and there are other tips here if you search for 'bird'.

BIRD DEFENCE
I have had curious birds repeatedly circling (pigeons, seagulls & smaller birds) but no real attacks so far.
What I have learned from others and a small amount of experience, the plan is to do a QUICK VERTICAL CLIMB (Sports Mode good here) and so far my birds have gone away and lost interest.
Such a climb manoeuvre is "un bird like" and they possibly feel less threatened.
I haven't tried it, but another flyer suggested some 'high visibility safety colour' stuck somewhere can reduce the threat because it is not a colour found in nature i.e. not another bird or animal.

Thanks heaps, I'm prepared to give some hi-vis tape a go! I'm unsure if it's because we have so many birds here on the coast, but every time I fly, I have birds come close, to either check Mav out, or swoop it - I don't hang around to see which one :-D I bring him on home. Next time I'll try a vertical climb (not up to sports mode experience yet).
Really appreciate it.

142c51ab69b809131b169f0489be4c44.jpg

Hands up who's shot here

I don't know if anyone is interested, but NISI has 15% off today (yesterday and today). They have a Mavic filters set (6 filters) for $109 with the discount. I use Nisi on my dslr and they're a good glass. No idea on drone filters.
The code is NISIFRENZY15.

Thanks for that. I've been looking at getting some filters. Does anyone have any feedback on the NISI? Are the 6 in this pack the right ones? New pilot and so far have mostly shot landscapes.

Psssst... Any news yet?......
Hi EJay. I looked around a couple of stores and followed advice of buying a cheaper drone first. My thinking was spend a few bucks on something reasonable in the cheap range ... I bought a Raven from JB hifi $199 thinking this should be OK as a starting point. It was absolute rubbish for the money so took it back and got my money back. Was contemplating maybe starting with phantom 3 and progress up or just go for it with mavic.
Have continued reading about mavic and phantom range ... and new concern now.
Updated phone late last year to samsung S4 and just recently new tablet Samsung S2.
Only to now find they are not compatable with mavic or phantom software requirements.
Bugger... Not sure which way to jump.

Last edited:
Hi EJay. I looked around a couple of stores and followed advice of buying a cheaper drone first. My thinking was spend a few bucks on something reasonable in the cheap range ... I bought a Raven from JB hifi $199 thinking this should be OK as a starting point. It was absolute rubbish for the money so took it back and got my money back. Was contemplating maybe starting with phantom 3 and progress up or just go for it with mavic.
Have continued reading about mavic and phantom range ... and new concern now.
Updated phone late last year to samsung S4 and just recently new tablet Samsung S2.
Only to now find they are not compatable with mavic or phantom software requirements.
Bugger... Not sure which way to jump.

Good to hear from you,
I think you have proven you are on the right track with the Mavic. I got a quad for a gift costing around $500+ and without the stabilisation smarts every flight was a crash into the wall, and it couldn't cope with outside breezes or land on lawn which messed the cogs. No camera.
Mavic is an amazing bit of gear.

Pity your Samsung is not ok with Mavic & android seem to have the odd problem per this site. Maybe updates will fix.

When Aussies were born, they were smacked on the bum to start them breathing, then branded as a Holden or Falcon person.
A bit like Apple / Android now, so I can't change your DNA [emoji4]

I resisted Apple then eventually weakened and got iPhone 5 then a 6 + iPad. Now I totally swim with the software to the point where the Apple hardware cost is almost incidental because it does all my emails pics music notes internet maps spreadsheets - I could rabbit on.
This little phone carries 17,000 photos, 20,000 emails, 1600 songs, 1200 contacts, 166 Apps
And fortunately runs my Mavic. [emoji736]

Some people have got an iPad mini for Mavic
It's bigger screen than a phone and I think fits in the Remote. I prefer my phone because it's there.

As you said, & I agree, hard to know which way to jump.
For me the choice is easy because I don't have golf clubs or a fishing boat.
Now I say to myself....,
Self, do want to arrive at the pearly gates and say I'm glad I didn't do that? [emoji56][emoji576][emoji452][emoji102][emoji440]

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Hi workfortravel,

BIRD DEFENCE

Thats correct. If you climb they will think you are predator and they will fly away. If you go down and low they will keep surrounding you closer and closer everytime.

Thats correct. If you climb they will think you are predator and they will fly away. If you go down and low they will keep surrounding you closer and closer everytime.
that's great to know, as panic always made me descend to land - now I know to climb instead. Also happy to report that the hi-vis tape and some googlie eyes (as recommended) seems to have done the trick (or just a co-incidence). Have only taken it out twice since, but no birds came close on either occasion.

I was at a fireworks display on the Gold Coast tonight and counted at least three drones in the sky. From where I was, they all looked to be over people and buildings. One guy landed what looked like a mavic on the footpath just off the main road. I hope they were all properly licensed, otherwise it was a very risky flight. At one point a army (or navy) helicopter did a vey low demonstration pass over the water, probably only 50m AGL. No place for a drone. If these were recreational flyers, then it is actions like this that will ruin it for the rest of us.

I felt like we should have one central location for Australian Mavic Flyers, so that we don't feel so isolated.

So, Aussie flyers, introduce yourself, state where you are from and feel free to ask or comment on anything DJI Mavic.

I'm from Adelaide by the way.
Im from Sydney

142c51ab69b809131b169f0489be4c44.jpg

Hands up who's shot here

Hey foxpuppet, if you don't mind me asking, what did you shoot this on (settings? / RAW or jpeg?) and what did you use for editing?
I'm having no end of trouble with my camera shots. I understand I'm not using a DSLR, but my shots are utter shite! I've tried auto and manual and different setting suggestions, stacking 7 burst shots in Lightroom and even tried different filters, but they are still just crap.
Here's a couple I took yesterday. Shot these on auto, RAW, burst 7 shots and stacked them in Lightroom. Had a NISI (.6 I think) filter on. There's a shocking green vignetting on manual or auto (with or without the filters) which I can't even correct in LR :-(

Attachments

• cardwell-1.jpg
    cardwell-1.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 37
  • cardwell-2.jpg
    cardwell-2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Hi all, Are you guys aware of the new CASA app? If so, any comments on its usefulness? My son showed it to me last night and it seems like a positive step at least. Below is the Android link.

Can I fly there? - Android Apps on Google Play
I've been using it. It seems to have a lot more no fly areas than UAV and DJI. It does not list Military Bases as NFZ though, only Airports (obv incl RAAF) and Helipads?

Had my drone replaced yesterday. Apparently it was a camera fault. Hope this one is better. Great that they just replaced it, no sending away.

Reactions: CruiserVX
Had a look at the CASA App, "Can I Fly There?"
For me it worked for a while then locked until I did Decline or Accept of Terms - upon reading, CASA collected some info on the user? Phone number, device ID?
Wouldn't be surprised if individual flight record data would be available if needed. (CASA+DJI=Everything)
App seems good, but purpose is for Sub 2kg 'Commercial'.

I am still unclear about a NO FLY ZONE but within that the the low flying "selfie photos" appear to be ok?
It must be ok to fly anywhere even in NFZ within the 30m altitude and 50m distance, hence these limitations if you don't log in.
That would seem sensible.

Last edited:
I am also confused with the app, there is a orange center and the a lighter circle around the orange one where is the 5.5 limit ? the orange area or the lighter circle

I am also confused with the app, there is a orange center and the a lighter circle around the orange one where is the 5.5 limit ? the orange area or the lighter circle
simply tap it and it will tell you

but that app is average at best, rather just use ozrunways

Not sure about the confusion about NFZ's though, the hint is in the name?

Reactions: workfortravel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio