DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Mavic Pro Carbon Fiber Quick Release Propeller Props

Has anybody purchased and tried these out yet? I purchased 2 pairs and they perform great! They are very rigid and don't bend like the stock blades do. Maybe it's my imagination but the Mavic seems even more ROCK solid in a hover.

View attachment 9735
https://images.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/3a4f/623a/678b_4135668401/s-l1600.jpg

Keep track of your battery life as compared to without the props. That'll indicate whether or not the props are more efficient.

I've been using mine for a couple of days now. I haven't seen a huge difference in performance but I'm happy with them.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 451
Question, are they lighter or heavier than the OEM props?

Aggregating the questions.

Are they louder or quieter?

Are they more powerful for thrust or less? Aka lower RPM or higher RPM?

How's the battery life?

Reactions: longiMANUs
Sure they look very nice.....but the originals are soo light that i don't think that the carbon ones would improve anything. They instead could harm much more the motors in case of crash or impact because they don't bend/brake. Would think twice before using them.

Reactions: Jenee and KiterTodd
Has anybody purchased and tried these out yet? I purchased 2 pairs and they perform great! They are very rigid and don't bend like the stock blades do. Maybe it's my imagination but the Mavic seems even more ROCK solid in a hover.

View attachment 9735
https://images.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/3a4f/623a/678b_4135668401/s-l1600.jpg

Just remember one thing with carbon props..... They dont flex... So when u descend at max rate u can get into something called a Vortex ring state. It happens when the decend ratio is higher than the downward thrust of the props. This state is escalated by carbon props as they dont flex as the craft decends. This means that the craft sees the decent ratio as low and then allows the drone to decend faster acxordingly. To fast and it will do "pocket drops" where it will fall for 6 ft and then sloly stabilise. In the early days of Phantom 1 and 2 many a pilot had their phantoms drop out of the sky as they decended way faster than what the props could handle. So just be aware that carbon props change the way the craft handles. It also changes the "feel" and feedback on the sticks.... So u have to adjust ... The craft wont do it for u

They do look cool, but I'll stick with oem that's been tested properly.

Eta: And flex is a good thing like airplane wings, bridges etc...

Reactions: Neto
4f31791f38b76001de115511083103db.jpg

I got this information from the website (Alibaba) that MayTech had showing and selling these Carbon fiber props.

The price appears to be $16 usd per pair.

You can see the weight per pair on this picture: 14.56 grams/pair

The carbon props do send more vibrations to the engines. Due from the lack of flex in the prop.

@Anthony:

As I am not an aeronautical engineer - I would love to hear from someone on this topic and read their input.

I do however - tend to think that since these types of props depend on centrifugal force to align the props during flight - I would 'think' that if they were precision and balanced the carbon fiber would yield the following benefits:

1) Less 'flexing' of blades would yield less vibrations and also lend to perhaps a more 'stable' hover.
2) Quieter VS Louder - there is a 'decibel' measuring APP that could be used to verify if there is any changes or differences in using carbon fiber versus stock DJI plastic blades.

There is a boatload of 3rd parties that sell carbon fiber blades for Phantoms, etc. - so I tend to think that perhaps there is some tangible benefits to using carbon fiber blades.

As for causing damage to the motors upon hitting something while flying with carbon fiber blades - I suspect that either way - carbon fiber or not - no crashing of blades in something is good to the motors, including the aircraft itself.

It would be beneficial to hear more pros or cons on this blade issue - especially of the pros outweigh the cons in favor of say - stability, battery life, decibel/sound, etc.

Reactions: kykayak
There is a boatload of 3rd parties that sell carbon fiber blades for Phantoms, etc. - so I tend to think that perhaps there is some tangible benefits to using carbon fiber blades.

I have no idea if the CF blades are a good idea or not, but this is an example of irrational thinking. Just because many sellers offer something does not mean it's worth buying. Just because people will buy something doesn't mean there's a good reason to. Someone will sell you snake oil if you want it. That doesn't mean you need it.

No engineering specs on these composite propellers? Mass? Stiffness?

I've been into Quads for several years... many of my previous quads I had carbon props. I have to say I like nice flexy plastic ones that will not cut me or a person as easily and also will break upon impact instead of bending a motor shaft or other damage. Also, it has been my experience that unless these are coming from a very TOP NOTCH carbon prop manufacturer they are going to need to be balanced. I have yet to need to balance any of my stock props.... Unless there is a significant flight time difference not even a consideration for me... and the Mavic is plenty stable... if anything I've noticed on my other quads the craft becomes more twitchy because of the stiff carbon props....

Reactions: ryo
I've been into Quads for several years... many of my previous quads I had carbon props. I have to say I like nice flexy plastic ones that will not cut me or a person as easily and also will break upon impact instead of bending a motor shaft or other damage. Also, it has been my experience that unless these are coming from a very TOP NOTCH carbon prop manufacturer they are going to need to be balanced. I have yet to need to balance any of my stock props.... Unless there is a significant flight time difference not even a consideration for me... and the Mavic is plenty stable... if anything I've noticed on my other quads the craft becomes more twitchy because of the stiff carbon props....

I don't think that it's been established that these carbon fiber propellers are any stiffer or lighter than standard plastic propellers. At the price point of these carbon fiber propellers I doubt that the maker has any sort of complex manufacturing process for utilizing the high tensile strength of carbon fibers to increase the strength-to-weight ratio of the propellers like trying to weave or align the carbon fibers along the directions of greatest stress. More likely that they just mixed in some carbon fibers with plastic, cast the propellers from that mixture, and called it a day. Not an especially effective way to utilize carbon fibers since the fibers are oriented in every which direction and not along the main stress directions, but at least they can truthfully advertise that their propellers are made of a carbon fiber composite. Oh, and that checkered pattern that you see on the surfaces of the propellers which is suggestive of some sort of carbon fiber cross-weaving process in making these propellers? Again, not likely at this price point. More likely it is just a stamped-on pattern from the mold used to make the propellers and was done for marketing purposes, and has nothing to do with the fiber composite material itself.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest