DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI - Mavic Repair - FAIL

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
While this is not conclusive, I have to test again ... I think sending the MP to DJI to fix the blurry left side was a complete and utter waste of effort. Granted I wasn't perfectly square to the wall, but it's clear to me that the centre to right is crisp and the left third is blurred.

I'll do another test as soon as I can (weather sucks at present) but I believe DJI are spinning their wheels and wasting our time with such.

(Even wondering if they sent back the same camera on a new MP!)

See updated post below #14 with the shocking truth.

Attachments

• DJI_0006.JPG
    DJI_0006.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
You're not hallucinating. And not being perfectly square to the wall doesn't matter with a small sensor like this (as long as your overall distance is large) where depth of field is naturally large.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
So what part of the system is actually suppose to be causing this blurriness?

So what part of the system is actually suppose to be causing this blurriness?

I'd suspect an improperly installed lens element or a lens design incapable of holding the elements in proper alignment or possibly an incorrectly made IR filter.

While this is not conclusive, I have to test again ... I think sending the MP to DJI to fix the blurry left side was a complete and utter waste of effort. Granted I wasn't perfectly square to the wall, but it's clear to me that the centre to right is crisp and the left third is blurred.

I'll do another test as soon as I can (weather sucks at present) but I believe DJI are spinning their wheels and wasting our time with such.

(Even wondering if they sent back the same camera on a new MP!)

View attachment 11367

I think the photo just gave me a seizure.

Just a thought... You might try tap-to-focus on the left side of your screen before shooting a photo of the bricks. Then, if the left side is out of focus, you know you have a problem. I'm not saying that you don't have a problem - but as far as troubleshooting goes, that's the next step...

I was just kidding, but certain visual patterns can induce a seizure. That out of focus picture was messing with my eyes.

I was wondering if that was in fact what you meant. The image is sharp on the right - soft on the left. Maybe that screwed up your natural binocular control loop. Upload your mind log to phantomhelp.com....

Just a thought... You might try tap-to-focus on the left side of your screen before shooting a photo of the bricks. Then, if the left side is out of focus, you know you have a problem. I'm not saying that you don't have a problem - but as far as troubleshooting goes, that's the next step...

Good idea. I did notice the other day, however, that when using the 'redlines on the screen' focus assist that it was showing OOF on the left while in focus on the right.

Being square to the wall actually will help at this short of a focus distance. Suggest you take a picture of a larger wall from further away and make sure that you're perfectly square to the wall before you conclude you have an issue.

Or take a photo of the horizon in flight.

This is a known issue, and you might have it, but this photo isn't conclusive because of the skew and the short focus distance.

Being square to the wall actually will help at this short of a focus distance. Suggest you take a picture of a larger wall from further away and make sure that you're perfectly square to the wall before you conclude you have an issue.

Or take a photo of the horizon in flight.

This is a known issue, and you might have it, but this photo isn't conclusive because of the skew and the short focus distance.

I agree that it's not conclusive - but other video I took the other day showed similar and it looks all too much like how it was before. And it's not that it's out-of-focus so much as it's blurry - not the same thing.

Don't have many large walls handy out here. IAC, I'll try to fly in the alleged to be better weather tomorrow.

Photo 14 - focused on right - blurry on left.
Photo 15 - focused on left - blurry on right.
Photo 15 - focused centre - blurry on left.

Did several of these with the same result - camera is a dud and behaves like the original.

These photos stink - not just because of the subject!

Attachments

• DJI_0014.JPG
    DJI_0014.JPG
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DJI_0015.JPG
    DJI_0015.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • DJI_0016.JPG
    DJI_0016.JPG
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 113
I'm sorry to hear this. I do like your test set up and will conduct the same test. Now to find a brick wall.
Just start her up with no GPS lock and your Mavic will find one very quickly. Lol. :)

Did several of these with the same result - camera is a dud and behaves like the original.

Sadly, I've come to the realization that the cameras on Mavics are basically garbage. If the drone wasn't so darn rock solid in flight, the cr@ppy camera would be a deal breaker. They can shoot beautiful scenes, but are terribly inconsistent from one camera to the next.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Sadly, I've come to the realization that the cameras on Mavics are basically garbage. If the drone wasn't so darn rock solid in flight, the cr@ppy camera would be a deal breaker. They can shoot beautiful scenes, but are terribly inconsistent from one camera to the next.

Yep. I think a decent cell phone takes better pictures.

Reactions: Humanparody
Ouch! Maybe this is the experience for some but before I ripped my Mavic's eye out, she was pin-sharp and amazing throughout the frame.

Are these still photos or frame grabs from video?

At the resolution they're posted I see no discernable difference in detail resolved at the pixel level.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett