DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI - Mavic Repair - FAIL

Are these still photos or frame grabs from video?

At the resolution they're posted I see no discernable difference in detail resolved at the pixel level.

Still photos.

Look at any of those on the right side and the left. None are sharp on both left and right at the same time. But should be.

I'm not sure you can really blame the camera when the object is skewed. I know as a photographer that a 2.8 aperture has a miniscule depth of field (within 5 meters, my subject's eyes might be in focus but her nose wouldn't be - which generally is the desired effect). The Mavic is stuck at f2.8. You really need to test this whilst being absolutely perpendicular to the wall, IMHO.

Reactions: Dialysis
I'm not sure you can really blame the camera when the object is skewed. I know as a photographer that a 2.8 aperture has a miniscule depth of field (within 5 meters, my subject's eyes might be in focus but her nose wouldn't be - which generally is the desired effect). The Mavic is stuck at f2.8. You really need to test this whilst being absolutely perpendicular to the wall, IMHO.

You are comparing apples to oranges. The sensor size plays a huge role in desired depth of field. While you can get a very shallow depth of field with a f/2.8 lens on your DSLR, it is not the same on the Mavic which by the way has a f/2.2 lens.
The tiny sensor size of the Mavic 1/2.3" plus the short focal length of 4.7mm would not cause any depth of field issues in Alan's photos. You will hit hyperfocal distance when you focus at something which is 2m away from you. Besides, his other photos also confirmed the problem.
You can check it out for yourself with an online depth of field calculator.
A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator

EDIT/ I did some testing and it turns out I was wrong about the distance, you do need to focus further away for everything to be in focus.

Last edited:
You are comparing apples to oranges. The sensor size plays a huge role in desired depth of field. While you can get a very shallow depth of field with a f/2.8 lens on your DSLR, it is not the same on the Mavic which by the way has a f/2.2 lens.
The tiny sensor size of the Mavic 1/2.3" plus the short focal length of 4.7mm would not cause any depth of field issues in Alan's photos. You will hit hyperfocal distance when you focus at something which is 2m away from you. Besides, his other photos also confirmed the problem.
You can check it out for yourself with an online depth of field calculator.
A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator

EDIT/ I did some testing and it turns out I was wrong about the distance, you do need to focus further away for everything to be in focus.

The focal length is 28mm. At 10m the DOF is 3 meters and change. At 2m it's like 15cm. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect to make things a bit soft on one side if you're off center taking a photo like this.

So I get this reply from DJI. What do you think I should do?

April (DJI)​

4月26日 CST00:45

Dear Alan,

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

We apologize for the late response and for what had happened.

We suggest that you send the unit back for repair. We will tag it as escalated case and we will make sure that the unit will be fixed.

As for the concern about the DJI Care Refresh, we will forward the concern to the designated department to have this fixed.

Thank you for understanding and patience.
Best Regards,
April

Very painful waiting for a repair...

Look at the three later images.

Look at the three later images.

Edit - scratch what I just said.

Blew these way up to 3:1, I agree that the middle set of three shows a sharp image on the left edge while the rest of the frame is out of focus. Sorry man, good luck with repair #2.

Last edited:
Sadly, I've come to the realization that the cameras on Mavics are basically garbage. If the drone wasn't so darn rock solid in flight, the cr@ppy camera would be a deal breaker. They can shoot beautiful scenes, but are terribly inconsistent from one camera to the next.
Agreed. The camera, and maybe more so, the gimbal - are utter shi*te.

If my mavic didn't fly so gracefully i would return this thing. But I'm very worried i will get back something even worse.

I really feel as it's an incomplete product, rushed to market and we're basically beta testing it for DJI.

Agreed. The camera, and maybe more so, the gimbal - are utter shi*te.

If my mavic didn't fly so gracefully i would return this thing. But I'm very worried i will get back something even worse.

I really feel as it's an incomplete product, rushed to market and we're basically beta testing it for DJI.

I feel the same , i have the right side blur issue but i am hesitating to send it back.

Well I am on Mavic #4. Every one has had focus issues. Current one is the left third or quarter of image. Adjusting the sharpness to +1 helped but not by much. DJI "guaranteed" that my current Mavic would be perfect. It's far from it. I don't know what I can do. They are getting worse. I have tried to call several times on hold for well over an hour. The last time that I didn't just give up and hang up I got someone with an attitude as if it it's my fault that they keep sending me mavics with defective camera units. Last time their 2 weeks turned into 5 weeks. I love this machines portability and discretion factor as well as how it handles. If I ever do get one with a good camera it will be when they release 2.0 with a better camera and gimbal... I am at the point where I just want my money back. It does not produce images that are 100% usable which is a big deal.

They were supposed to send me a UPS Expedited label 3 days ago. Now they will "soon" send me a regular label.

I'm demanding my money back. (I know, I know...)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82