DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI needs to redesign the Goggles

StoneDrone

Reactions
After 30 days, and a failed attempt from fedex due to signature requirement issue. I had to write to DJI to complain about their shipping time, the next day they shipped them. They failed to tell me that they were sending them Fedex with an "Adult signature required" requisite. My girlfriend was home the day they showed up, but the FedEx guy didn't ring the door bell more than once, or even wait to see if someone was home! She was asleep, but had he rang it twice, she would have got up. So I had to wait another day for them to show up.
Now down to things I like, and things I hate!
I noticed a few things I will didn't like, the weight is too clumsy. I would recommend having your controller on a lanyard, because you will want to use two hands to flip them up and down. They want to come off your head once you try to push them up to see the drone, or back down into place. They need to have a strap that cradles the bottom of your skull. I also can't see the video feed on my cell phone, so not sure how to control the drone out of sight if someone else is wearing them. Maybe there is a way to have both video feeds. I also tried to quickly grab a sunset video without the googles, but there was no video feed on the cell phone again, I had to quickly grab the goggles, power them up to see. When I did this it had no satellites, so I had a hight restriction. I still need to try a few things, and read up on the threads more to see what is going on. I had to put on some readers to see the screen without blur, also this is not an imax view, who ever keeps saying imax needs to go to an imax theater screen! It's just like looking at a 60" TV close up, very flat view. There is no enveloping warped curved screen feel to it at all. I need to spend more time with it to get use to it, but my first impressions is not good. I am sure the ladies on the beach will look better with these on, lol.
The fit is not good, needs different adjustments for different sized faces and heads. It only has one adjustment, and has a very slick & smooth padding, not a rubber grip feel I was expecting. Okay if you're sitting on the couch watching a movie with an HDMI cable, but why do that when I can watch my 60" with no extra weight on my nose. Maybe great on a plane if you don't mind the snickering from the other non nerds on the plane. I have a feeling I won't use these much, and might end up just letting other people look through them. They are bulky, and not worth the wait or the $450! More to come, maybe even an ad on the classified section.

Yes the headband needs to be redesigned or third party companies need to make something that makes these more stable on the head. Other than that I pretty much like everything about them.

Rob

Yes, needs a way to adjust front body in and out while leaving the headband alone. Those of us that have the forehead straight up from your nose bridge are screwed for a tight fit. I removed the top pad so they would drop down more. Side note, it didn't come off cleanly. Love the clarity and wireless to mavic plus the long battery life. Not small like the fatshark but such a clear picture.
Hoping someone designs some kind of aftermarket foam pad kit for us odd ball face types [emoji12]

I also can't see the video feed on my cell phone, so not sure how to control the drone out of sight if someone else is wearing them. Maybe there is a way to have both video feeds.

Are you saying that by having the goggles powered on, it tells the DJI GO app on the phone to ignore the incoming video feed and not display it? Or is it simply not displaying it but still caching it?

Reactions: Chickenskat
I agree with the fitting issues of the head band, have same problems. But the video feed is displayed both on the goggles and the mobile device (Android), running either GO4 or Litchi app. Only if you have paired with a slave controller, there will be no video feed.

I agree on the fitment issues. They'd have been much better served to use some sort of thicker form fitting foam around the edges so that light doesn't leak in as easily. The headband fits me OK but I'm getting light leaks on both sides, the top (very little here) and around the nose.

But for your issue with the display on your phone not working while the goggles are on... I haven't had this issue. I flew just this morning with my brother wearing the goggles and me flying while using my iPad mini screen. Worked as expected.

The software side of things is pretty well done I think. I'd like to see a quick setting for re-centering the head tracking as it's easy to get out of whack while using this feature. And I wish that the gimbal dial on the controller worked while using the head tracking feature but I can see why this would be disabled and difficult to program properly.

As for the curve of the screen... play around a bit with the placement of the goggles on your face. If it's centered properly you should actually notice a slight curve. I certainly do. Make sure that the back of the headband is actually beneath the bulge and the base of your skull. The headband should fit diagonally so that the front resting part is cradling the top of your forehead and the back is cradling the base of your skull.

How do you all have your brightness settings? I need full brightness here and would prefer having some more reserves for situations with quite dark image.

Full blast of course. More than enough as long as you make sure you don't have light leaks. I need to add a bit of foam too.

I tried again and it limits me to 30 meters height and 50 meters distance! Still no video on my S7, have not tried the iPad 4 mini yet to see if there is video. I looked at the controller setting and it shows the goggles as a slave controller.

Yes, needs a way to adjust front body in and out while leaving the headband alone. Those of us that have the forehead straight up from your nose bridge are screwed for a tight fit. I removed the top pad so they would drop down more. Side note, it didn't come off cleanly. Love the clarity and wireless to mavic plus the long battery life. Not small like the fatshark but such a clear picture.
Hoping someone designs some kind of aftermarket foam pad kit for us odd ball face types [emoji12]

You have a picture if you're removal?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica