DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji sink my Mavic pro

musya

Reactions
I live in Staten Island NY, we have huge limit for flying. But it's still some areas to fly.
Yesterday I was flying over the lake, and software just showed me that I entered nfz
Without giving me a choice it start landing my drone directly into the water. 20 seconds and the Mavic pro is underwater. Can anyone give me advice for the future, what needs to be done to avoid situation like this?
Any advice would be fine.
Also we had a temporary restrictions on flying but I was able to get waiver but
It still didn't help to land it on the ground.
Thank you.
3a43a20b4281bc11344a3181bc620812.jpg

This is crazy. DJI shouldn't allow you fly into a NFZ but not allow you to fly out of the NFZ.

(If this isn't the case, then I'll delete or edit this comment) There's no need to have incorrect facts floating around in the forum.

Last edited:
have you flown here before or was this your first flight ?
I never flown there before. But the same day, I flew over in high altitude, but then decided to hover in low altitude. During flight the software dumped and once I restarted, I had 2 minutes of drone life.

I live in Staten Island NY, we have huge limit for flying. But it's still some areas to fly.
Yesterday I was flying over the lake, and software just showed me that I entered nfz
Without giving me a choice it start landing my drone directly into the water. 20 seconds and the Mavic pro is underwater. Can anyone give me advice for the future, what needs to be done to avoid situation like this?
Any advice would be fine.
Also we had a temporary restrictions on flying but I was able to get waiver but
It still didn't help to land it on the ground.
Thank you.
3a43a20b4281bc11344a3181bc620812.jpg
also this weekend was a no fly week end for my club and where we fly . when the president is in N.J. at his summer home and on his golf course , i believe it's a 60 mile NFZ that is in effect now that puts us at the edge or right in it , now i don't know if DJI soft ware can do something like cause a NFZ when it has to . no one with in a distance of 60 miles should be in the air , RC plane or drone . i know it sucks but it's the law . my club sends all members a warning when we are in no fly days .

Turn off your....... DVS Downward Vision sensor definitely No-No over water

This is crazy. DJI shouldnt allow you fly into a NFZ but not allow you to fly out fly out of the NFZ.

(If this isn't the case, then I'll delete or edit this comment) There's no need to have incorrect facts floating around in the forum.
I tried to fly in areas, i did not know had nfz, but motors did not even start, I had no chance to fly, but in this area I was flying for about 5 minutes, and then it just took it down without a chance to land it.

I think something other could have happened...
You start up your drone without having GPS.
You start flying immediately and then when above the water your GPS locks in and the app sees that you are in a NFZ and then starts to land in Auto mode.

Since the screenshot is half way our flight route and you are 31 seconds in the air means something like that.
I could not imagine that DJI let you fly into a NFZ and then Auto-land. If so, then this will not be the last drone which is gonna swim or vanish.

#muysa - EXACTLY when did this happen? Friday? Can you upload your entire flight log here? I'm curious why you show a total flight distance of 14M and total flight time of 31 seconds, yet your home point is 93M away from the aircraft.

Reactions: Prop_Nut and MAVA4
Well, he isn't answering, but if this happened Friday it was the day POTUS was in NewJersey- 30 nautical mile radius NFZ between 16:45 and 17:45 ET. Not sure how DJI handles that, but my guess is his phone crashed after he launched, he started it back up, he was now in the time slot for the NFZ, and once he reconnected to his Mavic it did a stupid land due to NFZ.

If you didn't turn VPS off, then there is a likely chance that THIS is what caused it to go into the drink.

I dont understand. Why would having VPS turned on make it more likely that he would go into the drink?

Reactions: musya
Because the sensor could be confused with the water surface fooling the MP into believing it is closer and going into Landing mode.

So you might be 10m above the water but the Mavic assumes you are only 1m above water (or so) and that you want to land? Is that it?

Reactions: musya
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0