DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji sink my Mavic pro

You can keep the vision sensors on , you just have to turn " "Landing Protection" off in the menu while flying over water .

Reactions: Kilrah
If you find this situation happening to u, immediately try to switch into SPORT mode and it should cancel the auto landing.

I think this is all conjecture and I question whether VPS over water had anything to do with this. The whole point is NFZ- the software indicated it was forcing a landing due to being in a NFZ. I don't think any of us know if that can be aborted or not.

Reactions: zhongfu
I think this is all conjecture and I question whether VPS over water had anything to do with this. The whole point is NFZ- the software indicated it was forcing a landing due to being in a NFZ. I don't think any of us know if that can be aborted or not.

Agreed, I was thinking the same as there was a forum thread on the official DJI Mavic forums where the user had been flying out over water, the app crashed and when it restarted it gave an NFZ error and immediately landed the Mavic in water:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-93610-1-1.html

But that thread really hasn't taken into account new-ish behavior introduced with .800. So I think it's all up in the air. I have seen several conflicting reports about what exactly happens with .800.

Reactions: turtle
This might help...........C
Read pages 22-24 of the mavic pro user manual
" Operate the Aircraft with GREAT caution in the following situation"
#4 "Flying over water or transparent surfaces"

That isn't the problem here - the Mavic thought it was in an NFZ so it initiated auto landing which you can't stop so it went into the water, it's nothing to do with it getting confused about height due to the VPS sensors giving inconsistent returns when over water.

John

If you find this situation happening to u, immediately try to switch into SPORT mode and it should cancel the auto landing.

Is this confirmed by other people? I see others say that once 'auto-landing' is initiated it cant be cancelled.

it could have been a GPS error , thinking it was in a NFZ i believe the nearest NFZ is Linden air port in N.J. or Miller Field part of Gateway park on Staten Island . just a though .

Reactions: musya
I think something other could have happened...
You start up your drone without having GPS.
You start flying immediately and then when above the water your GPS locks in and the app sees that you are in a NFZ and then starts to land in Auto mode.

Since the screenshot is half way our flight route and you are 31 seconds in the air means something like that.
I could not imagine that DJI let you fly into a NFZ and then Auto-land. If so, then this will not be the last drone which is gonna swim or vanish.
I was in the air for about 10 minutes, then DJI 4 app stopped working, and once restarted my drone had 31 second to live.
I was able to recover my logs, and it's clearly shows my previous flight around the same area, and in the second log you can only see descend.

it could have been a GPS error , thinking it was in a NFZ i believe the nearest NFZ is Linden air port in N.J. or Miller Field part of Gateway park on Staten Island . just a though .
You are absolutely right about airports, it's far from NFZ, however we had some TRF in that weekend and almost everything was no fly zone, however I requested permission for flight, then they send me a text message with code and I was able to start motors and fly.
it looks like some kind of error in the software. Because there was no reason for the aircraft to land at that point.

#muysa - EXACTLY when did this happen? Friday? Can you upload your entire flight log here? I'm curious why you show a total flight distance of 14M and total flight time of 31 seconds, yet your home point is 93M away from the aircraft.
Here you go, my entire flight log for that period

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-06-10_[15-57-28].txt
    748.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-06-10_[16-05-21].txt
    89.5 KB · Views: 8
If you didn't turn VPS off, then there is a likely chance that THIS is what caused it to go into the drink.
I understand that sensor might be fooled by reflection from the water,
once the autolanding initiated I could not control my Mavic any longer
what if I had my sensors off?
does it mean it would not land on the water?

Your original post didn't say that the app crashed. Just that you suddenly entered a NFZ. I'm wondering if when you first boot up the app how it has to acquire SATs, that it had not acquired them yet so it initiated auto landing til it could get them.

If not this is unsettling for those of us that like to fly over water. Before I got my iPad mini4, I was using a galaxy note4 and also an Nvidia Shield. Both experienced app crashes but always over land. I never experienced any problems. Whenever it happened the MP just hovered until I regained connectivity with the RC and app. Since I went to the mini4 I have not experienced a single app crash (knock on wood).

Reactions: charliesRig
Your original post didn't say that the app crashed. Just that you suddenly entered a NFZ. I'm wondering if when you first boot up the app how it has to acquire SATs, that it had not acquired them yet so it initiated auto landing til it could get them.

If not this is unsettling for those of us that like to fly over water. Before I got my iPad mini4, I was using a galaxy note4 and also an Nvidia Shield. Both experienced app crashes but always over land. I never experienced any problems. Whenever it happened the MP just hovered until I regained connectivity with the RC and app. Since I went to the mini4 I have not experienced a single app crash (knock on wood).

I don't think the app initiates autolanding as stopping this behaviour would be as simple as killing the app. It's possible but unlikely.

I believe the app updates the dynamic NFZs and the aircraft figures out if it should land based on its GPS location. That's why I've observed this issue on more than one occasions when I got spotty Wi-Fi signal, being just outside of my house.

I will be able to test this behaviour this afternoon. Anyone who lives within an yellow NFZ could do the same by:
* Taking off
* Disable the authorisation of the yellow NFZ
* Kill the app before it forces landing

I expect that the aircraft will auto land regardless, but it's worth a try.

Reactions: frankiez
Here you go, my entire flight log for that period

You definitely were in a VIP TFR- that TFR was active from June 9th 17:15 EDT till June 11th at 19:30 EDT (POTUS in the area). There is no way you could have gotten legal authorization to fly in this airspace- all model aircraft were prohibited for the entire duration. So how Go4 could have known this unless you were connected to the Internet is beyond me. Maybe it was not on the internet when you lifted off. Maybe Go4 crashed once it realized you were in a NFZ.

So we have established you were allowed to lift off. After Go4 crashed, you reconnected and within 30 seconds the Forced Autoland was initiated due to being in the NFZ. Perhaps it is only at this point that Go4 was connected to the internet and realized you were in a NFZ. I can't say.

Another thing that is odd is that after you relaunched Go4, the Mavic's home point was reset to the middle of the lake. This is a bug, and should not have happened.

This points out why all Mavic owners should be aware of TFRs... clearly they will have a bearing on your flight activities and you may be subject to immediate auto-land if you are not paying attention.

For the record... here is the specific TFR that affected you:

7/9024 NOTAM Details

Reactions: frankiez and musya
Thank you for your information, it is very much like it. I knew that I was in TFR, but I believed I could fly. :)

That said... I believe you have a case with DJI. They should replace your Mavic, as it allowed you to lift off initially. It was only after DJI GO4 crashed that the NFZ became enforced- unfortunately you were over water at the time (and at very low altitude). In my opinion, you did not cause this unfortunate incident (at least not knowingly).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580