DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI SPARK: Bad Design or Bad Price?

HK!

Reactions
\2 cents

Sorry. DJI SPARK. I forgot its name. This is how hard hitting this Drone is to Me, a Mavic Flyer.

I saw the Spark today, and that walking @#$^$ casey reviewing it.

So IMHO. Straight away the specs whilst good, arent better than mavic in ANY area, and it's just about less
capable in each area to justify the smaller price.

For anyone else, obviously the smarter buy if youre going to spend that much is to save/spend a bit more and get Mavic.

The whole smaller size concept is Bunk because it Doesnt fold, so has a goofy square footprint
that is at least as big a footprint as Mavic in terms of area.
Maybe it's a bit smaller if props are removed but that's not a hassle, is it >_<
I would rather have a long thin device in my backpack than awkard square one.
And I dont want to buy another custom backpack just to carry the Spark.

The camera doesnt appeal to photographers, Which implies it's a Fun'esque Drone.
But the price tag (especially with the famous fly more combos) is over the top.
I mean who the hell would get a Spark fly more Combo instead of a Single battery Mavic??

The speed is respectable but obviously less than Phantom/Mavic.
The Range, going from 7 to 2km I'd say is Bad for the price. As is the 16 min flight time.

I MAY be wrong about this, but from what I hear the 400ft ceiling is hardwired.
Not that I'd take a smaller lighter drone higher than that. Oh and the Battery would die by the time
you got back down

Summing up it:
Who does this Drone appeal to? It's not small enough to have a niche (think racing/Nano drones)
To me this drone (If DJI can make the orders by then) is nothing more than a Comprimise for Kids/Parents at Xmas.

Mavic is a work of art. A Museum piece. You can't make a cheaper/ bare bones version of such good engineering. But yeh thats what this looks like to me. And in every photo DJI compares it to Mavic, so there
seemingly piggybacking on Mavic's sucess.

/2 cents

Discussion Welcome, please

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp™
Too many threads about that already, plus you even got the name wrong.

I stand corrected. I havnt signed in for awhile, probably should have done a search.
Anyway thats my 2 cents. Maybe someone is similar minded.

Did you notice you can control it with gesture control, like those $2 soccer ball helicopters at thrift stores? Thats a winning feature :|

If this drone were $250 USD, I think I would respect it. Thats my shittty day on paper, so Nuff said.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgitug
Did you actually watch the video? Its tiny, literally a touch bigger than 1 Mavic prop (Diagonal).

I'ts aimed at the same people who spend $800 on an iPhone, so it will probably sell well. I think its quite well priced, a little expensive but its quite well specced for the price.
It can't be compared to the Mavic as they are totally different aircraft with different markets in mind. The Mavic is a semi professional/hobbyist drone, the spark is an extension of your smartphone camera.

The spark is aimed squarely at people who lead pseudo-interesting lives who want a bit of a different angle on the shots they take. Youtube/insta celebs etc.

Reactions: Former Member
The Spark is a very intelligent approach, one that will further cement DJI's position as "the" drone maker.

I only wished they took more good care of what they've already marketed than that just constantly spin into new, interesting offers.

I tell you what, though: They put that "Hellix" auto-moving tracking-shot function they have shown in the Spark presentation available to me, in my Mavic, on the next FW upgrade and I am willing to let go of all reservations their coming "re-activate" campaign have brought along. :D

MK

The Spark remote controller is an option. How much?
Does the Mavic remote controller work for the Spark?
At least it comes in colors!

If they had RC compatibility with the Mavic would be enticing.
Seems it is aimed at the smart phone look at me types though.

I agree it would be enticing and would draw more Mavic owners into buying the Spark flyless. It would have been nice to just own 1 controller and bind your Mavic controller to your new Spark and not have to spend more money on an inferior controller.

Citing DJI's earlier drones, the P2's controller was not compatible with the P3, and the only P3 controller compatible with the P4 was the GL300c. And now the P4P is an entirely different controller altogether. DJI sometimes forgets to look back while they are focused on looking forward.

Reactions: Clinton1
Yeah I agree that its not that great but it sounds like your angry and have been violated by DJI or something HK!. Its not fair to compare it to the mavic or phantom because I wouldn't consider it a professional drone. Its targeted to the selfie generation that have $500 to blow and want to impress their friends with something that they don't have. I expect to see a lot of fly aways, crashes and accidents with this drone because the targeted consumer is not very drone savvy and is only interested in the selfie not the technical aspects of flying a drone.

Reactions: flipf
Inside of two years expect another drone. Half the size of the Spark that takes better pics and more sophisticated. Wait for it!!!!!

The OP misses the point. This isn't a RC hobbyist Quad, or an easy way to become a famous film director/producer.

It's the future of family and travel photography. And it's a brilliant, bold, start.
I'm in as of 12:40 yesterday.

Yeah I agree that its not that great but it sounds like your angry and have been violated by DJI or something HK!. Its not fair to compare it to the mavic or phantom because I wouldn't consider it a professional drone. Its targeted to the selfie generation that have $500 to blow and want to impress their friends with something that they don't have. I expect to see a lot of fly aways, crashes and accidents with this drone because the targeted consumer is not very drone savvy and is only interested in the selfie not the technical aspects of flying a drone.

I had a bad day and took it out on the post as i mentioned. Still It doesn't change my feelings much.
If it is truly aimed at the selfie crowd, then its a winner. No more Selfie Rods! :)

I disagree what someone said about it's size up there. I suppose it weighs less.
But mavic folded up, in terms of area at least is similar.

In truth it all comes down to the fact I love my Mavic, and it's state of the art design.
And whilst im not expecting a MAvic 2.0 anytime soon, I just feel DJI could have done better
than the Spark, at least at its current price

Reactions: Doecliff
It doesn't. Occusync and 4.3 mile range vs just barely over a mile so it is guaranteed to be using Wifi.

No it wont DJI just told me a few minutes ago that it wont.
Capture.PNG

It doesn't. Occusync and 4.3 mile range vs just barely over a mile so it is guaranteed to be using Wifi.
I don't think the Controller is WiFi, My P3 standard was WiFi and I barely got 1000 feet and that was on a lucky day that Rarely ever got repeated, my average was around 600 feet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes