DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI support have advised me that new firmware will be released soon, to fix soft focus :/

magsta

Reactions
So I got onto live chat this morning to RMA my 2 week old Mavic, it has a huge soft focus issue on the right hand side and I'm not happy. So I'd rather send it in to be assessed. When I told the advisor he straight away said to me that the R&D department have informed him there is going to a firmware release this week to fix that.

Can anyone on this forum who works for dji chime in?

Needless to say I'm sending it in as I wasn't convinced.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

So I got onto live chat this morning to RMA my 2 week old Mavic, it has a huge soft focus issue on the right hand side and I'm not happy. So I'd rather send it in to be assessed. When I told the advisor he straight away said to me that the R&D department have informed him there is going to a firmware release this week to fix that.

Can anyone on this forum who works for dji chime in?

Needless to say I'm sending it in as I wasn't convinced.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Hi
I have the same issue and was also told yesterday that they would be releasing new firmware - this was on the DJI On Line Chat support . I have decided to wait and see what happens before asking for a RMA as only just received my Mavic and not wanting to wait weeks for it to be replaced . I have tested indoors hand holding the Mavic and there is no right side focus issue .

Reactions: Timbooo and magsta
Hi
I have the same issue and was also told yesterday that they would be releasing new firmware - this was on the DJI On Line Chat support . I have decided to wait and see what happens before asking for a RMA as only just received my Mavic and not wanting to wait weeks for it to be replaced . I have tested indoors hand holding the Mavic and there is no right side focus issue .

I know, i've just received mine too, inside it is fine too, it's when its outside and the subject matter is further!!

Trees and stuff look extremely mushy too!
It's so odd!!

My phantom 3 standard had better quality!

Is yours also having that soft focus on the right hand side?

I know, i've just received mine too, inside it is fine too, it's when its outside and the subject matter is further!!

Trees and stuff look extremely mushy too!
It's so odd!!

My phantom 3 standard had better quality!

Is yours also having that soft focus on the right hand side?
Yes exactly the same as you describe on both photos and videos. So will wait and see if the firmware update fixes it.

What firmware you guys on ?

OK, was kinda wanting #'s . I hadn't flew in a few days and did yesterday and saw I had an update .
Flew come home and did one and this is what I got now .
dddd.png

Date : 2016.12.26
Firmware : v01.03.0200
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.0.2
Thanks, me was behind I guess and will be getting another one then .Thumbswayup

Also have soft focus on the bottom right and online chat told me to refresh the dji go app using dji assistant 2 and then if that doesn't work I have to reset the mavic to default settings using assistant.

Has this worked for anyone? Has the new firmware update fixed that because I dont have wifi for a few days so cant update?

I've spoken to DJI chat twice about this issue on my Mavic and was told to do a number of things to try to resolve it (refresh f/w, reformat card, reset camera, etc.) none of which actually worked and yet my issue appears a little intermittent and very much dependant upon the subject matter. You can clearly see it in the first video below and hardly at all in the second so fingers crossed there is a f/w release as I'm loathed to send mine in as in every other respect it's perfect..

Fluffy:

Not so much:

I am sorry guys, but that is just bollocks from DJI.

Having more than 35 years of experience with cameras and optics, I can clearly see that the Mavic's camera has a center bias, i.e. it is optimized for sharpness and detail rendition in the center of the frame. As you move closer to the edges of the frame, sharpness and image quality gets gradually worse, until it is finally lost near the outer 20% perimeter.

Also I see that the focus plane is not quite even, but is slightly curved inwards (towards the camera). Objects near the edges are not properly focused properly when the subject in the center of the frame is focused. Due to individual manufacturing tolerances, this effect can be more pronounced on one side, left or right and can be more or less obvious with different subjects.

This is not a flaw, but is in fact quite common for simpler (cheaper) DSLR lenses, where the optics are designed in a certain way to cut manufacturing costs (and the retail prices). The outer parts of the image are rendered using the outer parts of the lenses, which are usually much more difficult (and more expensive) to build in such a way that the image sharpness is retained troughout the entire image.

In the DSLR world, with such lenses you will need to close down the aperture to increase edge sharpness, however the Mavic always shoots wide open (to increase low light capacity and to create a certain depth of field blur).

There is not a chance that any kind of firmware will fix this, as this is purely optics. The camera is designed within a certain cost target in mind, which is reflected in the retail price of the Mavic. Higher quality optics would increase the price dramatically.

I can clearly see that the Mavic's camera has a center bias, i.e. it is optimized for sharpness and detail rendition in the center of the frame. As you move closer to the edges of the frame, sharpness and image quality gets gradually worse, until it is finally lost near the outer 20% perimeter.
Sorry but that's just wrong. Most units do not exhibit that at all.

Objects near the edges are not properly focused properly when the subject in the center of the frame is focused. Due to individual manufacturing tolerances, this effect can be more pronounced on one side, left or right and can be more or less obvious with different subjects.
And it's a defect that they have now had to fix hundreds of times, so they would now know how.

I would also be surprised if a firmware fix could help, but then we don't know exactly how the internal construction is... we do however know that similar cameras have lenses that can be electrically actuated in many degrees or freedom, and that some could totally correct for that without hardware changes, so not ditching the possibility just yet.

Reactions: rcheli9
Well that all makes perfect sense, unfortunately.. :(

I wish they'd put the Samsung S7 or a similar sensor in there.

Reactions: baldflux
Sorry but that's just wrong. Most units do not exhibit that at all.

And it's a defect that they have now had to fix hundreds of times, so they would now know how.

I would also be surprised if a firmware fix could help, but then we don't know exactly how the internal construction is... we do however know that similar cameras have lenses that can be electrically actuated in many degrees or freedom, and that some could totally correct for that without hardware changes, so not ditching the possibility just yet.

I have yet to see a photo or a screenshot from a movie that displays a perfect image rendering from the center of the frame to the very edges. Actually given the fairly large fixed aperture (f/2.2) and the size of the camera, some edge blur and purple fringe is quite expected. The latter is probably minimized using software corrections, but the lack of definition is not possible to remedy using software only. It would require a much larger and more complex lens arrangement. What you are referring to is a physical correction of the alignment of the lenses, which can fix some unevenness in the IQ, but there is always a tradeoff.

TBH, I think DJI has chosen a very decent camera within the given price range - but it cannot be compared with the much more expensive one used in the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. I think for most people flying around the neighborhood shooting videos for YouTube, the Mavic Pro is more than enough. For more demanding applications where IQ is prio 1, you should probably choose something more professional, like the Inspire range.

Last edited:
Here's a full size test shot of mine:

DJI_0004.jpg

For more demanding applications where IQ is prio 1, you should probably choose something more professional, like the Inspire range.

That's... just obvious. And price isn't even much of a factor in it, size is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest