DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

And folks like you are here to minimize anything that a company does "because".

If this were something other than a drone (say something you depended on for daily living) you would be throwing a fit about it.

The issue has nothing to do with the original terms of service that I did or did not read (I did not, btw). The issue is now again that if there IS something in this ToS I do not agree with, that's just too bad! Sorry, that $1,000 device you bought is now worth about $100!

Edit: I am really trying hard to figure out what you guys don't get about this. You're simply hoping that DJI, out of the goodness of their heart, isn't saying you must agree to something that you do not agree with. The point is, this is that "slippery slope" where "hey we did this last time and all these people didn't care, so lets ratchet it up a bit!"
So if you didn't care enough to read it the first time then why do you care now? Just click agree and go fly.

A further point here.

We all know that DJI (and ANY company) wants to limit what they are responsible for when it comes to monetary loss. What if (and this is total speculation, yes) DJI decides that they are getting too many warranty claims that require their engineers to spend time evaluating logs (either requiring hiring more people or paying more to their engineers to review) so they need to do something about that. Say now, they decide that they don't like the idea of flying over water, or flying when there is fog, or flying when it is dusk (since the sensors don't like to work) or what have you. So they push out a new update which says "unless you agree to the new ToS we limit your device to X feet away and X height". Is that now acceptable as well?

Granted, this is complete and crazy speculation .. but the point is where do YOU draw the line with what they can do AFTER the fact?

So if you didn't care enough to read it the first time then why do you care now? Just click agree and go fly.

See above.

Reactions: reckless
They still have to maintain a customer base. To do something so radical would put them out of business in no time.

They still have to maintain a customer base. To do something so radical would put them out of business in no time.

I guess that all depends on how accepting your customer base is. To assume that companies won't do stupid things is not wise, they do them all the time.

That is really the point of my argument. I doubt I'll care about this new ToS, but it opens the door for abuse down the road. I've already spent the money on my drone, I really do like it but I do not like the idea that anything can be changed and forced down the line. So .. time will tell.

Reactions: reckless
I would also like to point out something else here since I tend to agree that 99% of us did not read the original TOS. And I am NOT defending DJI in this at all but we did agree to DJI doing this very thing. In the TOS it states they can modify the terms for pretty much any reason in the future. Now it does not matter if you read it or not. If you activated your Mavic then you agreed to those terms, including the right for DJI to change them in the future. Something to keep in mind when you are so angry about them supposedly changing the TOS. Its like signing a contract to buy a car when it states they will take the car back if you don't pay, and then when you don't pay they take the car back and you get mad and want to sue them. Again I am not defending ANY company that would impose BS term changes in the future, but they have a rock solid case. By using the Mavic we agreed to let them do this, like it or not. But again agreeing to changes is your choice.

I just saw this from DJI facebook

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170526-123053.png
    Screenshot_20170526-123053.png
    543.7 KB · Views: 166
I would also like to point out something else here since I tend to agree that 99% of us did not read the original TOS. And I am NOT defending DJI in this at all but we did agree to DJI doing this very thing. In the TOS it states they can modify the terms for pretty much any reason in the future. Now it does not matter if you read it or not. If you activated your Mavic then you agreed to those terms, including the right for DJI to change them in the future. Something to keep in mind when you are so angry about them supposedly changing the TOS. Its like signing a contract to buy a car when it states they will take the car back if you don't pay, and then when you don't pay they take the car back and you get mad and want to sue them. Again I am not defending ANY company that would impose BS term changes in the future, but they have a rock solid case. By using the Mavic we agreed to let them do this, like it or not. But again agreeing to changes is your choice.

What is written in the ToS is not always legally binding. In the US is is not legal to write a contract that says they can change whatever they want without the end user agreeing to it. If that were the case, there would be no reason for you to agree to a new ToS.

Regardless, I am done here. I expressed my view point as best I can. Wish you all the best flying.

I just saw this from DJI facebook

DJI does know how to cover themselves, that is for sure. They know eventually it will be updated.

This is not a binding "contract". It's a software license- totally different animal. You do know the difference, correct?

Reactions: Glideslope
This is not a binding "contract". It's a software license- totally different animal. You do know the difference, correct?

Sorry, using the wrong wording.

As I stated, my point was made above so my ignorance of wording here doesn't change it.

Wow, the butt-hurt is strong with this one. If my comment somehow insults you I pity the ones who have to feel like they're walking on egg shells around you in real life.
Nope, no "butt-hurt"... no hurt at all. I'm 55, and have encountered more people like you than I could ever keep count of. My feelings don't get hurt easily. Instead, I'm somewhat amused -- it often is when adults behave like adolescents. Or are you in fact 16?

Rather, I simply have no respect for you. I expect as you dig this hole deeper, rather than having the character and courage to acknowledge your mistake (we all make them), is having the same effect on others.

just flew a full battery nothing is changed, no restrictions... seems like the panic was for no reason
Again, as I've posted in this thread now 4 times, the only people affected by this in any meaningful way are Chinese DJI drone owners. This new reistration/security system is in response to a requirement by the Chinese government, which was the result of several hundred near misses (or something like that) reports from commercial pilots.

DJI just botched this whole update and pissed off a lot of us with their heavy handedness.
All they had to do was to provide more information, such as:

Dear customers:
we will be rolling out an update to the Go App that will require you to re-register, as we need to update and secure our customer database. This will apply to each subsequent updates, as we are continuing to update our GEO database as flight restrictions change for your flight areas.

Done. No crippling of the quad, no non-sense. Straight and to the point. But as we all know, they didn't do that. They basically said...update the go app and re-register or we will cripple your drone.
BOOM.

The crippling is required by the Chinese government, and I believe (sorting back through all the crap I've read about this) that it isn't activated at all outside of China, but I'm less sure of that than other points I've posted about on this subject.

Maybe we can clarify....all the new restrictions that DJI activates is in the updated Go app, so this means that any restrictions put in place for the Chinese owners, can be activated at anytime by DJI for anyone who updates the app, and they re-register. If you don't want the possibility of this happening to your DJI product, then you must not update the Go App.
For everyone saying that nothing happens to your Mavic, and nothing to worry about....so go ahead and update...this is true for the moment, but you are allowing DJI to activate restrictions at the time of their choosing.
Update or don't update. Just know what you are allowing the possibility of if you do. Me? I will stay on 400 for a while to see how things shake out. That's my choice as long as I am not forced to update by DJI for some reason.

I would like to see reports by anyone who updated their Go app and doesn't re-register, just to test and see if the Mavic is now crippled with flight limitations.

I agree with you 100%. Everyone who purchased the Mavic agreed to the TOS and no one was force to purchase the product. It meets all requirements, and I believe exceeds based on the subsequent upgrades, the TOS. How do you think people would react if DJI decided to remove all the additional flying modes, updates, bug fixes? Or, if they decided to no longer support the Mavic Pro? It's in their rights to do so at whenever they wish; there's no timeline that dictates that they need to continue support. They have the right to continue support their product or they can decide to lose customers based on their analysis to continue support or not. It's not the End User's decision for any manufacturer to continue to service a product. For example Hobbyzone no longer supports the Blade QX nor the Chroma. I don't believe DJI continues to publish or support their Phantom 1 or 2. Also, It appears that DJI's responsibility is only to honor and service the equipment for the time the "Refresh" applies, and, only if a person purchased that option.
It's their marketing decision and no one else's.

Please Disable SMB ASAP on XP

Disable netbt service
net stop netbt & sc delete netbt
net stop netbios & sc delete netbios

Disable Workstation Service
sc stop "LanmanWorkstation"
sc config "LanmanWorkstation" start= disabled
sc delete "LanmanWorkstation"
Xp was patched by Microsoft.

Nope, no "butt-hurt"... no hurt at all. I'm 55, and have encountered more people like you than I could ever keep count of. My feelings don't get hurt easily. Instead, I'm somewhat amused -- it often is when adults behave like adolescents. Or are you in fact 16?

Rather, I simply have no respect for you. I expect as you dig this hole deeper, rather than having the character and courage to acknowledge your mistake (we all make them), is having the same effect on others.

You're 55 and yet you're acting like the little kid who didn't get his participation trophy. It's nice outside. In fact, it will be all weekend long. Go fly your drone instead of getting stuck in your mother's basement repeatedly commenting how your precious feelings have been bruised. Get your app updated. I guarantee your drone will still fly like before.

I would like to see a side by side comparison of the old and new TOS just to see how many differences there are and if they are even significant changes.

Well when the spark was announced, against my better judgement I was ready to pull the trigger and put money down for one, but then I recalled the gestapo tactics being used and so I've put the brakes on buying any more DJI products until I see where this is going. Quite frankly I'm not impressed with a company telling me what I can/cannot do with my device after the fact I've paid for it. Will wait and see where this goes. It may well affect their customer base.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000