DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

It may already have. After two days the Spark still hasn't sold out. I too, was about to order one, but I'm holding off for different reasons. Hard to justify a $700 purchase simply because it's better than the Mavic at flying indoors.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
And folks like you are here to minimize anything that a company does "because".

If this were something other than a drone (say something you depended on for daily living) you would be throwing a fit about it.

The issue has nothing to do with the original terms of service that I did or did not read (I did not, btw). The issue is now again that if there IS something in this ToS I do not agree with, that's just too bad! Sorry, that $1,000 device you bought is now worth about $100!

Edit: I am really trying hard to figure out what you guys don't get about this. You're simply hoping that DJI, out of the goodness of their heart, isn't saying you must agree to something that you do not agree with. The point is, this is that "slippery slope" where "hey we did this last time and all these people didn't care, so lets ratchet it up a bit!"
Don't update the app and continue flying as you do today. OR update the app, agree to the new TOS and continue flying as you do today. The choice is yours. Either way, nothing really changes. But please do prove me wrong.

It may already have. After two days the Spark still hasn't sold out. I too, was about to order one, but I'm holding off for different reasons. Hard to justify a $700 purchase simply because it's better than the Mavic at flying indoors.
That may be a good thing. Perhaps they have forecast and projected correctly after seeing their supply and demand issues for the mavic.
Hopefully that will be the same for the mavic 2 or whatever succeeds the mavic, and it would be readily available right after release.

I would like to see a side by side comparison of the old and new TOS just to see how many differences there are and if they are even significant changes.
T&C's are not a replacement sort of process -- each stands on its own. So only where there is a conflict does the later supercede the former.

If this TOS was the very first TOS people would've agreed to it and flown away... This is why I find it absurd that everyone suddenly has a HUGE issue with having to sign a new TOS.

But even if you do have a legitimate concern with the new TOS then simply don't update the app or future firmware releases and fly as you always have worry free.

Can someone explain to me why this is an issue?? And if you are in the camp of thinking that you HAVE to update or you will be limited in flight then please, PLEASE prove that this is the case before simply banging that drum again.

Let's see... stay with a stable working firmware that does everything I want and need it to or update to get modes I will never use and risk getting all sorts of problems that others here have experienced.

I'm with you. I tried FW.700. It was an improvement on .600 which appeared to have a weaker signal strength and badly tilted horizon when turning. .700 as mentioned improved some things but took ages to get GPS lock and seemed to lose the lock occasionally. Airplane mode wasn't particularly exciting and I probably wouldn't use the extra automated features because I enjoy manual control.

Furthermore, one of the later app updates caused my high end phone and tablet to be made obsolete overnight. Ended up purchasing an iPad which is entirely dedicated to my quads, which is an expensive workaround.

The devil you know.... I'll stick with what I have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasek
Well iOS update just rolled in, I updated. Re-entered my login and took off. Did a 4.1km flight (this is in Australia BTW) Flies the same as before. Running on firmware 700. Too bad their updated TOS didnt fix the lazy gimbal.

If this TOS was the very first TOS people would've agreed to it and flown away... This is why I find it absurd that everyone suddenly has a HUGE issue with having to sign a new TOS.

But even if you do have a legitimate concern with the new TOS then simply don't update the app or future firmware releases and fly as you always have worry free.

Can someone explain to me why this is an issue?? And if you are in the camp of thinking that you HAVE to update or you will be limited in flight then please, PLEASE prove that this is the case before simply banging that drum again.

Might be wrong but think the whole point is unless you do the update your Mavic will be put into beginner mode and you will be severely restricted in what you can do with it. Max height/distance ect ect. I think people see this as bullying and not giving users any other choice but to update. Just my opinion.

i think the tiny spark is gonna change things or at least the way people and officialdom see "drones".. i find it hard to equate danger to anything with a tiny spark size quad.. more so when its fitted with its prop guards as it should be..

i am also inclined to think the mavic was just a practice for the spark which is the real deal.. :)

trog

Might be wrong but think the whole point is unless you do the update your Mavic will be put into beginner mode and you will be severely restricted in what you can do with it. Max height/distance ect ect. I think people see this as bullying and not giving users any other choice but to update. Just my opinion.
It will be put in beginner mode IF YOU DO UPDATE but not re register. I see the new app is available on my iPhone but I have not updated it and everything flew just as it always had this morning.

Reactions: Turnerm
This view point was created by all the irrational fear mongering that was being thrown around in this thread and the countless others on this same topic. It's completely untrue. Try it for yourself.

Does this upgrade render these drones not fit for purpose.
We may have purchased these items for the features promised if these features are diminished or restricted have we now cause for a class action against DJI for selling us a pup?

Does this upgrade render these drones not fit for purpose.
We may have purchased these items for the features promised if these features are diminished or restricted have we now cause for a class action against DJI for selling us a pup?
I totally agree.

Its obvious the Spark is the DJI effort to meet fun consumer market share without having to meet FAA guidelines. I think they are trying to "work" both sides of the (registration) issue and make everyone happy when in fact they are making almost no one happy.

This could open the door for false advertising by DJI for the things you were allowed to do at purchase.

Its obvious the Spark is the DJI effort to meet fun consumer market share without having to meet FAA guidelines. I think they are trying to "work" both sides of the (registration) issue and make everyone happy when in fact they are making almost no one happy.
What FAA guidelines and what registration?

And so, do you agree that the new Spark will have this restrictive software coding problem ALSO, and copper sheet tape won't help either? While we're at it, isn't this really "not as advertised", and we all should return our un-used, not opened purchases for a full refund? Where's Amazon when you need them. LOL.

I guess it's not about being Chinese or American or whatever nationality of a company is but its all about the safety of everybody :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143