DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

I agree DJI is in the wrong here and I do not like it. I intend to upgrade so that my new goggles will work when they get here. All reddy ordered. I expect the decency of no change in operation of future accessories as well!!!

Another reason to use a dedicated device and turn off Wifi and cell data. I think the article expresses a concern that may be more relevant to countries using DJI drones for industrial purposes and not hobby pilots. Mavic video is really not all that much better than Google Earth footage and since we get restricted from flying in sensitive areas I doubt they can get much useful info from it.

Rob

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
You can use offline maps just fine with it. Download the ones you want, and they are stored in a folder called .djiHereMap.

Note that you should still have it to keep the app blocked for that day your forget to put your phone into airplane mode.
I have offline maps in the folder .djiHereMap ... on my phone happens this: if the phone is in flight mode, everything OK; If the phone is online with the DJI go blocked by the firewall, I see no map.
In any case, the firewall is useful in the day when I forget to put the phone in flight mode.
For now, the 4.0.4 works well also online ;)

Its an interesting article. However, it is difficult to distinguish whether the author is 'disturbed about all the data being collected' or disturbed by the fact that the company collecting all the information is 'Chinese'.

Personally, I dont see what DJI is doing is any different than Google. In fact, DJI seems rather more transparent about what data it is collecting than a company like Google. Google reads all my emails (so they say) and has over 335,000 location data points on me. The author complains that 'opt-in' is only semi voluntary (in that if you dont, you may see a reduction of service) in much the same way Google is with Google maps.
Hi Collins , I sort of gotten the same interpretation as you and if you think about it no countries today like's people taking pictures of there infrastructure even if you are a native to that country . Google and Apple are American company's (This may make the outlook different)
and were brought to court for braking privacy Laws for the information they were collecting ..... The out come of the case was that they had to stop due to lack of permission from there users. So what Apple and Google did is they found a loophole around the privacy Laws by offering many useful app's and programs to there Users so Now when the User installs any apps or programs form them they have to agree to accept a TOS that shows a list of what is going to be collected , the list is basically surrendering your Privacy Rights .. the software will not install if you do not agree (Next time you install an App, look at the List of what information it collects before you agree to install it) this seems to be the exact same thing DJI is trying to do now ...... Why ?????? because they want to implement NFZ software that now will collect personal info and has nothing but Glitches in it that causes more negative issues Like NFZ false triggering causing Forced Landings into Trees or Water when the User is 50 miles away and nowhere near a NFZ, it is to more trouble to the Mavic system Owner then it's worth , even to a point of TOTAL LOSS now DJI says this new FW update is going to FIX THE ISSUES ?????? lolllll yeah right .... a lot of people upgraded already and there has been no improvement what so ever ..... as a matter of fact the system in my opinion is becoming more unstable
We the Users are not benefiting at all !!!!!!! DJI is by repairing the Crashes it is causing .... Care Refresh will only last so long ,so what's next is DJI going to start selling extended policy's now ??????? My opinion DJI has no interest in fixing the Mavic issues and if they do fix one thing they create a problem with another , this has been going on since I brought one in January 2017 ..... for what I read its been going on since it first came out in 2016 ......... So Who's Really Benefiting from all this BS and continues to do so ?????????????????
FlySafe-FlyFree

Reactions: gllkoop
I have offline maps in the folder .djiHereMap ... on my phone happens this: if the phone is in flight mode, everything OK; If the phone is online with the DJI go blocked by the firewall, I see no map.
In any case, the firewall is useful in the day when I forget to put the phone in flight mode.
For now, the 4.0.4 works well also online ;)
I was flying offline yesterday and still had my maps. Weird. Did you download the offline version?

I always fly offline, but when is our Mavics going to be restricted? How will the restriction affect me in USA?

Reactions: Rnl
I always fly offline, but when is our Mavics going to be restricted? How will the restriction affect me in USA?
If you are flying an older DJI Go 4, like 4.0.6 (Android) and Firmware .400 or earlier, you will never be restricted assuming you stop it from calling home.

What happens if you have permission to fly in a generally restricted area and you bought your Mavic or another dji drone for a business? This is what I would like to get into in Canada and with the right steps I can fly it in many places that an ordinary person can't?
Well, Firmware .400 is not very restrictive except near major airports so I would go there first. On that rev, you could always block the GPS and fly anywhere actually. It is only in Rev 500+ where they started to be very restrictive with assumed NFZ unless proven otherwise.

I don't know why everyone doesn't downgrade to 400. The NFZ annoyance doesn't exist and the drone performs exactly as advertised on the box. Gimbal problems don't exist, such as the gimbal tilt when flying sideways, and it is rock solid. Did I mention the performance is greatly increased from any later rev? You move with .0400 when you put the sticks to the wall. It is a speed demon (Assuming sports mode). Later firmware is nerfed.

Reactions: Robbyg
I have 4.1.0 dji go app (android), I currently have no problems with any restrictions, but I am worried about v the future restrictions... I never connect dji app to web. I have my device in airplane mode when flying, looking for a dedicated cheap tablet currently

Just worried about not being able to fly mavic due to dji handicap... What a joke

I have 4.1.0 dji go app (android), I currently have no problems with any restrictions, but I am worried about v the future restrictions... I never connect dji app to web. I have my device in airplane mode when flying, looking for a dedicated cheap tablet currently

Just worried about not being able to fly mavic due to dji handicap... What a joke

If you find an NVidia Shield at the normal $199 price, let me know. Seems scalpers are selling for $300 at the moment.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929