DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI's marketing strategy is PURE GENIUS

t00lgasm

Reactions
DJI's marketing strategy is pure efing genius. Think about it.
Step 1: Destroy new direct competitor by announcing a new product they know they can't deliver on time, that is superior in every way, will be cheaper and will be available sooner. = PROFIT
Step 2: Charge customers at time of order instead of at ship date. Sit on their money for a month and half or 2 and collect interest/reinvest. = PROFIT
Step 3: Ship a handful out slowly so it looks like they are satisfying they're customers and prevent them from canceling. =PROFIT
Step 4: No new is bad news. Huge demand for a game changing new product. "Trying their best to keep up with demand", news articles, DJI on the tongue of the consumers. = PROFIT
Step 5: Hold back orders to dealers, driving the masses to try and figure out who will ship it first. Guess who has the earliest projected shipping date for new orders right now. DJI official store says ships within month of November. I don't know of any place else that still says that. Guess who gets to keep the cut the dealers normally get. =PROFIT
Step 6: Finally ship to dealers so they're on shelves for everyone else to buy. Dealers will suffer and deal with it cause they still want a piece of the pie. =PROFIT
Step 7: Provide bottom of the barrel customer support. Spend as little as possible on help, warranty repairs and replacements and pay as few employees as possible to deal with such issues. = PROFIT

Dear Google,
Please release a consumer drone and stomp DJI into the efing dirt.
Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: Splashy
DJI's marketing strategy is pure efing genius. Think about it.
Step 1: Destroy new direct competitor by announcing a new product they know they can't deliver on time, that is superior in every way, will be cheaper and will be available sooner. = PROFIT
Step 2: Charge customers at time of order instead of at ship date. Sit on their money for a month and half or 2 and collect interest/reinvest. = PROFIT
Step 3: Ship a handful out slowly so it looks like they are satisfying they're customers and prevent them from canceling. =PROFIT
Step 4: No new is bad news. Huge demand for a game changing new product. "Trying their best to keep up with demand", news articles, DJI on the tongue of the consumers.
Step 5: Hold back orders to dealers, driving the masses to try and figure out who will ship it first. Guess who has the earliest projected shipping date for new orders right now. DJI official store says ships within month of November. I don't know of any place else that still says that. Guess who gets to keep the cut the dealers normally get. =PROFIT
Step 6: Finally ship to dealers so they're on shelves for everyone else to buy. Dealers will suffer and deal with it cause they still want a piece of the pie. =PROFIT
Step 7: Provide bottom of the barrel customer support. Spend as little as possible on help, warranty repairs and replacements and pay as few employees as possible to deal with such issues. = PROFIT

Dear Google,
Please release a consumer drone and stomp DJI into the efing dirt.
Thank you

i see what you're saying ten fold...only thing is it's not entirely genius...this will make new customers weary to come back...im willing to wait and im a first time dji customer but i do not think by any stretch of the imagination that these delays are in purpose...at all...they are top quality i know that...but i don't believe they expected this turn out...i honestly don't...or they may not have anticipated other manufacturers who provide them certain things to build the mavic to come up short..truly dji leads the way in drones they are number one...i just don't see this delay in any way a move they wanted to make purposely...but i get what you're saying

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

IMHO it wasn't planed marketing as much as it was a fluke, a bad idea born perhaps out of despair or good faith that's playing incredibly well - for them that is :p But I guess we'll never know for sure.

And though the idea of making some cash from interest and such is a nice and tempting proposition for pretty much everyone, the way I see it DJI is still in its infancy as a company. Meaning, they make a lot - a lot - more money from selling their products. Meaning, if it was me at the head of DJI I'd be looking at this now and scratching my head asking "why in the hell didn't we charge 30 or even 40% more for the Mavic instead???". Hindsight is a cruel thing.

I agree with both of you honestly. I still have my preorder in. Just venting after seeing my Best Buy delivery date jump a month. I do however think there's a high probability DJI jumped the gun to take out the Karma. Look up the Forbes article on frank wang ceo. He basically says he will take out any competitor at any cost. I'm also a first time DJI customer. Although I have a second hand phantom 3. If any competitor starts coming out with comparable technology, I won't shed any tears leaving DJI behind. Until then, I'm chomping on the bit to get my hands on a Mavic :)

Not pure genius at all, nor are they a polished company. They actually treat their customers like crap, to be honest, and this is all poor planning on their part, nothing more (maybe a push to beat the Karma). But they do make good products at great price that we all must have, like right now, lol.

Reactions: AlexSP
...If any competitor starts coming out with comparable technology, I won't shed any tears leaving DJI behind. Until then, I'm chomping on the bit to get my hands on a Mavic :)

Yeah, you and everyone else it seems, mate! LOL That's why they're doing what they're doing.

Not pure genius at all, nor are they a polished company. They actually treat their customers like crap, to be honest, and this is all poor planning on their part, nothing more (maybe a push to beat the Karma). But they do make good products at great price that we all must have, like right now, lol.
Maybe my sarcasm was too subtle

Reactions: bbkett and MarkO
I agree with both of you honestly. I still have my preorder in. Just venting after seeing my Best Buy delivery date jump a month. I do however think there's a high probability DJI jumped the gun to take out the Karma. Look up the Forbes article on frank wang ceo. He basically says he will take out any competitor at any cost. I'm also a first time DJI customer. Although I have a second hand phantom 3. If any competitor starts coming out with comparable technology, I won't shed any tears leaving DJI behind. Until then, I'm chomping on the bit to get my hands on a Mavic :)

believe me we are all going through it no matter where we ordered...dji is superior on the drone tech front...but with reliability and service...it's the worst...but once we get our mavics which to me is so far off it almost seems like it doesn't exist and is a fable even with the youtube videos lol...man we're all there...im looking at mid november and that will probably change...not because of the dealer but because of dji...we're all left in the dirt with dji...i honestly think they like the mystery factor lol...cuz honestly that's a brilliant move...one day u may be looking at one month...next day you may get a shipping notice from your dealer saying they just got a surprising shipment...it's like christmas...well not rlly...christmas is at the same time every year lol

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: AlexSP and t00lgasm
Hahaha I'm completely with you brother. The funny thing it probably really will be Christmas when it comes. I should have put that on the list of ways DJI profits from us. Released at Christmas = PROFIT

For some it'll be more Christmas when their Mavic arrives than on the 25th of december!

Don't forget that they also burned 30 days off your right to disput the charge with the credit card company should your product not be as expected or not received and what about 90 day defect warranties, do those start from the purchase day or the received date?
If there was another competitor with tech close to theirs now or in the future I would definitely look at them.

Don't forget that they also burned 30 days off your right to disput the charge with the credit card company should your product not be as expected or not received and what about 90 day defect warranties, do those start from the purchase day or the received date?
If there was another competitor with tech close to theirs now or in the future I would definitely look at them.
Right on! PROFIT

If, if, if... if my mother had a mustache I'd have two fathers instead :D Other drone makers are doing fine too, it's a good moment to be riding the drone wagon. We do have options, just not if we want what the Mavic offers. Fact is DJI is way ahead, so the force is with them whether we like it or not :p

Make no mistake they do make money just by holding your money. At the rate they are growing they can probably make 10 percent off your 1 grand in a month. How many magics have they sold already I wonder. 100,000? A million? I've heard different numbers. If it's just 100000 that's 100 million of our money they're sitting on. That's 10 million a month for nothing. If it's a million units that's 100m. PROFIT :)

Yes they may or may not, but either way that won't mean much or stand if they don't deliver their products in short time. And there are risks involved, it could backfire and in ugly forms. I know companies take risks for money and after all it wouldn't be wise to just sit on that amount of money for long without doing anything with it but... I'd guess there is a lot more at stake, thinking in the long run as any company should. Thus, they must be really focused on making sure things happen and Mavics start flying everywhere asap!

Again that's just my opinion, hard to know for sure.

Yes they may or may not, but either way that won't mean much or stand if they don't deliver their products in short time. And there are risks involved, it could backfire and in ugly forms. I know companies take risks for money and after all it wouldn't be wise to just sit on that amount of money for long without doing anything with it but... I'd guess there is a lot more at stake, thinking in the long run as any company should. Thus, they must be really focused on making sure things happen and Mavics start flying everywhere asap!

Again that's just my opinion, hard to know for sure.
You're right. And I hope it does backfire on them. But I think us consumers have short memories. Once we have it in hand we're going to forget all about our DJI woes and just love it. And then they'll release something else bad *** and we'll do this all over again. I just hope that someone dethrones them before that happens.

Fair enough mate, each one to his own and I respect your opinion ;)

I for my part don't wish them bad nor good, I'm not happy nor sad, angry or otherwise, just excited and anxious to try the Mavic out and have some fun with it. It's been fun to wait and follow all the talk and anticipation too LOL So I just hope they keep doing what they're doing best, which is reliable, fun and advanced drones. As long as they do, I'm with them. If someone else catches up then fine too, all the better!

And yes, we'll forget about it even before we open the package - but only and because (apparently) they did and excellent job with the Mavic.

Reactions: Mugsey2
Fair enough mate, each one to his own and I respect your opinion ;)

I for my part don't wish them bad nor good, I'm not happy nor sad, angry or otherwise, just excited and anxious to try the Mavic out and have some fun with it. It's been fun to wait and follow all the talk and anticipation too LOL So I just hope they keep doing what they're doing best, which is reliable, fun and advanced drones. As long as they do, I'm with them. If someone else catches up then fine too, all the better!

And yes, we'll forget about it even before we open the package - but only and because (apparently) they did and excellent job with the Mavic.
Agreed :) my problem is I'm happy and sad and otherwise.

LOL right on, I guess we're all feeling a bit like that indeed :D In fact I share your overall opinion on the matter, I even expressed it with different words earlier ( I confess I´m impressed ).

Reactions: t00lgasm
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929