DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I turn off the remote first after I'm done flying?

Riseaknight

Reactions
Are you suppose to turn off the remote first before you turn off the mavic or does it really matter?

As long as you land the Mavic first, it seems to make no difference which one you turn off first.
(If you turned off the controller with the Mavic still airborne, it would wait 10 seconds trying to connect to the controller, and then return to home and land itself (unless you set it to do otherwise).

Turnng them off in either order works.

Reactions: ed1nh0
I like to turn off the Mav first, then controller, then disconnect the device. I do it that way so I insure theres no way its taking off again if I accidentally jar one of the sticks, and also if I forgot to stop recording for some reason, turning off the Mav first will stop that. I start the Mav in order of controller first, Mavic, then connect device.

Are you suppose to turn off the remote first before you turn off the mavic or does it really matter?
I start with controller, mavic (and the device then turns on automatically) to turn off reverse order; mavic, rc (and device turns off.)
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: Riseaknight
As soon as you start your RC, it'll try to connect. Why start something that tries to connect to something that's still turned off?

As soon as you start your RC, it'll try to connect. Why start something that tries to connect to something that's still turned off?

Im old school. In RC helis, you always turn on controller first to prevent the bird from possibly taking off on its own. I would rather have the controller on and looking for the drone than the other way around.

The useful information is: it doesn't matter.
Question is, who is wasting other readers time: me or someone who creates this kind of post in the first place

I don't agree with your view that the order doesn't matter and that the question is a waste of people's time.

I deliberately try to make sure that the controller is always on whenever the Mavic is on so that the Mavic is always under control and there's little chance of it responding to a stray signal or acting independently. This is not a baseless concern. I have seen our other inexpensive quadcopter sometime respond to apparently stray signals when its controller was turned off.

In practice, this means that I turn on the controller before turning on the Mavic, and at the end of the flight I turn off the Mavic before I turn off the controller. In short, make sure that the controller is on whenever the Mavic is on.

IF you want to follow instructions - a rarity these days - then do as DJI states. Turn on your controller then your bird; turn off your bird then your controller.

People CAN make things a helluva lot more complicated by NOT answering a very straight-forward question with a straight-forward answer and tossing in their own spins, their personal judgements, their attempts at being witty or edgey, and more. But THOSE are DJI's instructions. Do with them or say what you want about them from here.

It doesn't really matter which order you do it but I always turn off the Mavic first and the controller in case of some freak malfunction and it takes off on its own.

It does make a difference... follow the manual, they make the manual available for a reason... use it.
Like CC Rider says, with any RC you always turn on the TX first, then the vehicle(Mavic), you always turn off the vehicle(Mavic), then the TX. This is done for safety reasons.

I power off the mavic then, contorller then phone/tablet. Mostly comes from my RC Heli/Planes days. That was always the way to do it.

Good question actually

Absolutely in this order: Controller on, Mavic on. Mavic off, Controller off.

It is traditional, but based on solid science. In times past, a receiver (aircraft) would actually respond to noise and bleed frequencies when it's own controller was not connected, not a safe situation.

There is still some chance, however slight, that modern equipment could react to a spurious signal when not connected. thus the advice remains.

I like to turn off the Mav first, then controller, then disconnect the device. I do it that way so I insure theres no way its taking off again if I accidentally jar one of the sticks, and also if I forgot to stop recording for some reason, turning off the Mav first will stop that. I start the Mav in order of controller first, Mavic, then connect device.

I've had this happen twice.....which will screw up your recordings....so I thought I should mention this..

If you turn the Mavic off while it is still recording, you can corrupt your last file. There are ways to fix this, either with a google search, or you can contact me and I'll get you going, but always remember to stop recording BEFORE you turn the Mavic off.

I've had this happen twice.....which will screw up your recordings....so I thought I should mention this..

If you turn the Mavic off while it is still recording, you can corrupt your last file. There are ways to fix this, either with a google search, or you can contact me and I'll get you going, but always remember to stop recording BEFORE you turn the Mavic off.
Off topic but some have issues with this. To fix this just turn on the TX first :), then the Mavic with the same card in it. Stop the recording in the go app or the TX and shut down the Mavic first, then the TX and you are all done. Pop out the card and download your cinematography goodness. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242