DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not order from DJI store if you are in Thailand

Received Mavic today, DHL was extra nice and picked up the CAA letter this morning, cleared customs and brought direct to my office. I've been in Thailand for a decade now, so I know how to import stuff. I the main issue is that DJI did not have an importers license for the Mavic. I've ordered plenty of items before online, anyone who operates a Thai webstore and says prices include vat, always have a VAT number and up until now, an importer's license for their goods. Again, every other company that operates a Thai webstore (such as DJI) get your importer's license!

As for timing, every xmas I go some place special for my annual dive trip (Maldives, Palau, Papua New Guinea...) and a drone is part of my packing list. I tire of lugging my inspire 1 around.

Awesome! Post some Thailand video please. I love that place.

I meant that the one I bought on eBay cost 2x's the cost of the one I ordered directly from DJI.

I live in Thailand but ship items to friends houses in the USA. They bring items with them when they are comming to visit.

But, I was asking about CAA letter, is this something that I need to fly the mavic in Thailand?

Customs just grabbed my mavic they said I need an import license. No amount of reasoning would change their mind. I was told that there's many many drones being held by customs. This is Thailand so there's always away. I found a guy that I believe it he said it would take a couple of days. I will keep you posted but this is his name.
44ccb3e0d456e4718a2011df1a0dd234.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

DJI sent a letter asking for my Drone import license or they would cancel my order.

Fortunately for me they agreed to change my order and ship it to my family house in the USA.

Otherwise I would have completely lost my patience after waiting over 9 weeks.

Still didn't get a shipping date.

I pre-ordered the very next morning after the announcement direct from DJI. Their website says the price includes all VAT or customs charges, so I had it delivered to my office in Thailand. I have done a mix of ordering from them direct or buying form a local distributor (Phantom 2, Osmo, Inspire 1).

Anyways, it arrived in Thailand last week and its been a nightmare.
1. DHL wanted to charge me VAT and custom's clearance. It took several days before DJI cleared that up
2. Customs then demanded to see an importer's license, which they never done before
3. DHL then opened up the packaged and informed the Thai Civil Aviation Authorities. In Thailand, you need CAA license for drones over 2kg, DHL informed the CAA the shipping weight not the drone weight. So now my drone is impounded. Been going through an mountain of bureaucratic red tape and paper work. Basically, I'm doing all the paper work to get an importer's license and CAA license in order to prove that i do not need an importer's license or CAA license.

all of this would have been avoided if DHL just delivered the goods instead of stopping to collect vat, which was already paid by DJI. Also, things are different under the current military rule. Anyways, wait for the local distributor to have it in stock and buy it from them.

Will be going back to thailand in January 2017. Got a few questions if you have time to answer.

I am thinking of buying a Mavic Pro in Thailand because here in EU they are limited to 4km and not 7km (US). So my first question is, drones bought in Thailand, are they limited to 4km or 7km in range?
Question 2: Been thinking of filming Grand Palace, Ayutthaya and few other places. Is it allowed? Anything special I should think on?
Question 3: This will be my first drone, anything special to Thailand I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Will be going back to thailand in January 2017. Got a few questions if you have time to answer.

I am thinking of buying a Mavic Pro in Thailand because here in EU they are limited to 4km and not 7km (US). So my first question is, drones bought in Thailand, are they limited to 4km or 7km in range?
Question 2: Been thinking of filming Grand Palace, Ayutthaya and few other places. Is it allowed? Anything special I should think on?
Question 3: This will be my first drone, anything special to Thailand I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
1. 4.5 km distance works all fine here. Don't really recommend you go any further than 5km.
2. Just find some hideaway place out of people asking questions
3. It's very hot and sunny here, find place with shadow. Nothing really special here I can think of.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian