DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not understand camera settings

magnil

Reactions
I have problems to understand the manual camera settings. In Auto I change the EV with the camera dial. In Manual both shutter and EV changes with the camera dial. How can I adjust shutter and EV independently?

In Manual, the EV shows you your current exposure level - which you are setting with the shutter speed dial.
In Auto you set the EV on the dial, and it automatically selects the suitable ISO and shutter to achieve it.

In Manual, the EV shows you your current exposure level - which you are setting with the shutter speed dial.
In Auto you set the EV on the dial, and it automatically selects the suitable ISO and shutter to achieve it.

Ok, I think I get it. I can not adjust shutter and EV independently even in manual?

Ok, I think I get it. I can not adjust shutter and EV independently even in manual?

In general, the entire exposure is a result of ISO, shutter speed and aperture. EV really means exposure value, which is the absolute amount of light collected, a combined result of the three parameters. I assume what you mean when you say EV is probably exposure compensation, which is a minus or plus value that specifies how much darker or brighter you want the image to be relative to the metered value.

The aperture is fixed on the Mavic in any case. With auto, that leaves ISO and shutter speed which the software adjusts automatically. Because you can arrive at the same EV (resulting image brightness) e.g. with ISO 200 and 1/100 speed as you can with ISO 100 and 1/50 speed, it wouldn't make sense for the dial on the controller to influence only one of those two directly, because the camera would compensate adjusting the other, and then you wouldn't have any way to change the exposure in terms of image brightness.

With Manual, you set a fixed ISO value in the menu, which only leaves the shutter speed as a variable that the dial can change, and that's what you do.

There is no way to set a fixed shutter speed and use the dial to change ISO, because other than noise that would not affect the appearance. Shutter speed on the other hand has a real effect with moving subjects and when recording video at a certain frame rate.

Reactions: Dmbrody and Logger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3