DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you install the gimbal lock between flights?

KiterTodd

Reactions
When I unpacked the Mavic it had a small clear plastic tab that kept the gimbal from moving around. I assumed this was there to protect the mechanism during shipment.

It did not seem like something that was designed to easily install and remove each time I use the drone. (the clear dome, on the other hand, is very easy to remove and install).

I was watching a Mavic tips video recently and the guy noted that you should install this gimbal lock when your are done flying to prevent the camera from bouncing around. Is that true?

Just curious. I don't want to damage the mechanism but I also figured if I am handling the camera after each flight to install the lock, I'm more likely to damage it. Curious what folks do here. Maybe I'll just save it for travel but skip it for typical hand carried use (house, car, field, and back). Thanks!

You should attach the gimbal lock whenever there is a chance your camera could be bouncing around while powered down (e.g. traveling in the car). It should only take a few seconds to attach if you do it like this.

I always put that gimbal lock back on after I am done flying. I don't want the gimbal moving around and possibly getting damaged during transport or when not in use. After taking it off and putting it back on a few times, it is very easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I use mine .I might walk from the house outside to my field without it but that's it.

Reactions: KiterTodd
Phew! Thanks guys. If this was in Mavic documentation, I missed it.

Glad I asked.

I always put it on when I am done flying and packing the Mavic away.

When I unpacked the Mavic it had a small clear plastic tab that kept the gimbal from moving around. I assumed this was there to protect the mechanism during shipment.

It did not seem like something that was designed to easily install and remove each time I use the drone. (the clear dome, on the other hand, is very easy to remove and install).

I was watching a Mavic tips video recently and the guy noted that you should install this gimbal lock when your are done flying to prevent the camera from bouncing around. Is that true?

Just curious. I don't want to damage the mechanism but I also figured if I am handling the camera after each flight to install the lock, I'm more likely to damage it. Curious what folks do here. Maybe I'll just save it for travel but skip it for typical hand carried use (house, car, field, and back). Thanks!
I suggest putting a red string or ribbon it it about 6 inches or so long. Many people forget to take off the gimbal lock. Airplane pilots have a similar "ribbon" on the pitot cover (airspeed tube) because failure to remove the pitot tube cover could be close to fatal. Failure to remove it on the Mavic could damage the gimbal and its mechanism.

I suggest putting a red string or ribbon it it about 6 inches or so long. Many people forget to take off the gimbal lock. Airplane pilots have a similar "ribbon" on the pitot cover (airspeed tube) because failure to remove the pitot tube cover could be close to fatal. Failure to remove it on the Mavic could damage the gimbal and its mechanism.
Sounds like we need some tiny "Remove Before Flight" ribbons...
eDUARD+remove+before+flight+tag+49068+(4).jpg

Yes I always use the gimbal lock when done flying, the gimbal is very delicate

Every time. I feel better about my gimbal after I've gently put in the gimbal lock and cover, since my first Mavic had a defective gimbal and I've been paranoid ever since about taking care of this one.

I can't figure how to put that clear plastic gimbal lock back on. I don't mean the "bubble" plastic item. Can someone post a video? I feel stupid, I must be, but..... (Thanks)

I can't figure how to put that clear plastic gimbal lock back on. I don't mean the "bubble" plastic item. Can someone post a video? I feel stupid, I must be, but..... (Thanks)
If you search on YouTube, there are several vids. Here's one that seemed pretty clear;

Since this was asked, it has been posted that it says to use the gimbal lock in the manual. (I didn't see it, but trust that it's there). But, as this question does come up often with us newbies, I figure I'd post the official answer from DJI. It took a couple weeks, but they answered the question;

Dear Todd,

Thank you for contacting DJI Customer Service.

Yes we suggest to use the gimbal lock between flights and shipping.
Hope to have informed you.

Have a nice day!

With kind regards,
T. Chen
DJI Customer Service
Consider yourselves "informed" :)

It bears repeating that neither the gimbal lock, nor the clear dome have positive locking tabs. That means they will pop off if enough downward force is applied to the gimbal assembly. It doesn't take much of a drop for the gimbal vibration isolating bands to stretch enough to have the gimbal push both parts off the MP.

Unless you tape the dome to the body of the MP, or there is something between the bottom of the dome and the floor of your carrying case, do not rely on the either part to adequately protect the gimbal/camera. One good bump, and the assembly will be free-balling for the rest of the trip.

Where did you find these? I've been looking all over and I don't want a huge keychain attached. Something more...scale.
No idea. Must have found that on a google image search or something Sorry...was a while ago.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851