DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you need an ND filter? Select the right filter for a given scene!

heo3480

Reactions
Do you need an ND filter? How do you select the right filter for a given scene!

I made this beginners tutorial covering the basics around ND filters for your Mavic Pro and to help you select the right ND filter for a specific scene/light.

Last edited:
Thank you guys, much appreciated. Are you using ND filters? and what type?

Thank you guys, much appreciated. Are you using ND filters? and what type?

I just bought these yesterday. Will try today if the rain holds off.

2cce729841cbb6067b4f5c315a1479c5.jpg

Reactions: Bubz7471
Where did you buy this set? I haven't seen this particular combination.

I got the same set. I have very little knowledge about filters in general but If I'm not mistaken, the ND 8 and ND16 filters in this pack are NOT polarized.
No they won't be. ND means neutral density which translates for us to mean they filter light out only. So in theory they should filter all light the same thus only darkening the image, not altering it.

Reactions: R1Mavic
No they won't be. ND means neutral density which translates for us to mean they filter light out only. So in theory they should filter all light the same thus only darkening the image, not altering it.

Correct, but ND filters can also be polarized too such as the PolarPro cinema series. So what are the advantages of having non polarized ND filters and having polarized ND filters?

Someone said this set from Best Buy needs to be altered to work properly. It was suggested to remove the inner piece and cut a portion off to allow you to be able to get a section off and then you're able to get the rest. Apparently without doing this you apply too much force to the gimble. We'll see.

Reactions: smatthews
Someone said this set from Best Buy needs to be altered to work properly. It was suggested to remove the inner piece and cut a portion off to allow you to be able to get a section off and then you're able to get the rest. Apparently without doing this you apply too much force to the gimble. We'll see.

In the few times I've used them, they are extremely hard to remove from the gimbal. It felt like if I slipped I would rip the whole gimbal right off.

Reactions: wayneiak
Yeah...It's odd. The first time I out it on I was able to slip it off. I did a flight test and it was very hard to get off. Grrrr!!

Also, the gimble will not calibrate with it on. It hits and stops. I had to put it on after calibration. Another minus. Think I am returning these.

Reactions: smatthews
I just bought these yesterday. Will try today if the rain holds off.

2cce729841cbb6067b4f5c315a1479c5.jpg
I liked the ND witht the gradient polarizer.

I will be making a similar video to this one that I made for the P4 about a month ago but will go a little more in depth with the Mavic one.

Great video and info to the OP.

Here is my take on filters which is exactly the same for all the locked Iris mini cams like the Mavic. I will post the Mavic specific one soon. Like in a week or two. In the meantime:

Correct, but ND filters can also be polarized too such as the PolarPro cinema series. So what are the advantages of having non polarized ND filters and having polarized ND filters?
The above post answers that.

Yeah...It's odd. The first time I out it on I was able to slip it off. I did a flight test and it was very hard to get off. Grrrr!!

Also, the gimble will not calibrate with it on. It hits and stops. I had to put it on after calibration. Another minus. Think I am returning these.
Try installing and removing it like this:
If you are still having issues please send us an email and we would be more than happy to help:

-Jeff from PolarPro

Try installing and removing it like this:
If you are still having issues please send us an email and we would be more than happy to help:

-Jeff from PolarPro

Cool....I didn't know you guys were on here!!!

So, I just watched your video and I am able to get the filter on w/out flipping it over and it's all the way on. However, my gimble would calibrate. It hits when it spins inward and stops.
To get it off, I do have to flip the Mavic upside down like your video. The filter fits so tight!! I ended up taking that inner piece out and cutting it in half. This way I can get a section of the filter off while the other section is held in place by the piece inside. Would the filter stay on if I completely removed the piece inside? Any suggestions on being able to get the filter to not stop calibration? I have found that I could leave the ND8 on for almost all of my flying and it would be nice if it would calibrate while on.

Thx!!

Cool....I didn't know you guys were on here!!!

So, I just watched your video and I am able to get the filter on w/out flipping it over and it's all the way on. However, my gimble would calibrate. It hits when it spins inward and stops.
To get it off, I do have to flip the Mavic upside down like your video. The filter fits so tight!! I ended up taking that inner piece out and cutting it in half. This way I can get a section of the filter off while the other section is held in place by the piece inside. Would the filter stay on if I completely removed the piece inside? Any suggestions on being able to get the filter to not stop calibration? I have found that I could leave the ND8 on for almost all of my flying and it would be nice if it would calibrate while on.

Thx!!
You must not be on the PhantomPilots forum. Jeff is without a doubt the best vendor representative on here and I know for a fact that he is a true gentleman and nice guy as well.

We love Jeff here!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929