DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think the Mavic is powerful enough to cut a finger?

Do you know where those posts are? I can't seem to find any, and I'm pretty curious to see how it turned out

I'm not sure if I've seen many here but there's quite a few on the official DJI Mavic forums mostly with people flying indoors, the Mavic drifting and people trying to catch the drone before it hits the wall or something else solid. I can't remember the search terms but I think it was when I was looking up Mavic drifting issues.

The long and short of it was to let the Mavic crash as it wasn't worth the damage to fingers trying to catch it (unless planned for and caught properly).

John

Reactions: Robbyg
I often need to hand catch my I1, I2 and Mavic, especially when landing back on a moving boat.

Whilst I would strongly recommend that you AVOID hand catching where ever possible, if you take the following precautions they will at least help to minimise the risk:

1. Turn of downward sensors.

2. Slowly lower the drone to hover in front of you, just above head level so that any sudden horizontal movement removes the risk of hitting your head.

3. Remain focused and ready to push up on the throttle and/or duck down in an emergency.

4. Form your hand into a 'U' shape at eye level, making sure that the tips of your fingers and thumb are level.

5. Keeping the drone above head level, move your outstretched arm up to grab the drone from below. For the Mavic I grab dead centre from the side, making sure not to put my fingers higher than half way up the drone body so the can't come into contact with the blades. For the I1 & I2 I grab under the batteries from the rear.

6. Now the important bit, maintain a strong grip and keep the drone level & above head hight as the drone can fight against you until you have stopped the motors and a feeble grip could result in an angry drone escaping to bite you.

7. As soon as you have a firm grip, pull the throttle down to stop the motors, maintaining a strong grip on the drone until they have stopped.

8. .... and breathe !

I've always hand caught my Phantom and plan to do the same with the Mavic. Instead of turning off the downward sensors, I saw two videos which showed the user initiate the landing procedure in the software. There is a delay before it lands and that is when you grab it. That way no need to turn off sensors. The problem with turning off sensors is that it's a good possibility that you may forget to turn them back on the next flight.

Reactions: Jaysjob
I drew blood the other day when I ran a tiny Estes drone into my nose. I'm pretty sure the Mavic could do significantly more damage.

Does anyone use a glove to catch the Mavic? It seems that a light mechanic's type glove would provide significant protection when you need to do a hand launch or catch. Watch "DJI – The Circle: Behind the Scenes with the Inspire 2" to see how they dressed to catch the Inspire.

Reactions: Slantnose79
Someone on these forums worked out the tip speed of a Mavic propeller running at a typical rpm (I think that it was around 5000 rpm?). The tip speed of a Mavic propeller was figured to about about 150 mph. Yeah, that will hurt.

You have heard the good.
Now listen to the bad and the ugly.
bb5a04577fca6b64271bc7ad730cf3e6.jpg

9309bc2f1e824f5098780052d1b92dbb.jpg

Yes, while you can hand launch/catch a Mavic, I would rather think of it with the approach of hand launching a portable little Cuisinart! It can absolutely cut you and will. That said, should you not come into contact with the props, you will be fine. In any case, if you find yourself in a sticky situation. Think of you before the Mavic - TOSS IT or RUN.

Good luck!
Famous last words before trip to ER for stitches....." hey watch this! Oh **** !"

Had a scary moment with my wife. We were at a school out in the country on a Sunday, not a soul around. I had just armed my Mavic and my wife suddenly walked up and put her hands on the top to pick it up! I yelled stop stop STOP!!! She froze gripping the Mavic with the props spinning just fractions of an inch from her fingers, I quickly it shut down, right then a car drove by from behind slowly into the parking lot. She was just protecting the drone and couldn't see the blades spinning or hear then because it was windy. The way she grabbed it was absolutely the only way to do so without getting bit! Very lucky!

Had a scary moment with my wife. We were at a school out in the country on a Sunday, not a soul around. I had just armed my Mavic and my wife suddenly walked up and put her hands on the top to pick it up! I yelled stop stop STOP!!! She froze gripping the Mavic with the props spinning just fractions of an inch from her fingers, I quickly it shut down, right then a car drove by from behind slowly into the parking lot. She was just protecting the drone and couldn't see the blades spinning or hear then because it was windy. The way she grabbed it was absolutely the only way to do so without getting bit! Very lucky!

You almost lost that Mavic my friend. We would've seen a for sale classified ad had it hit her lol

LOL, she was "it would really cut me that bad? " .... Oh yeah I said!

As far selling the Mavic she probably wouldn't let me. She loves going out flying with me as spotter and just being out in the country. I still can't get her to fly it though!

I got bit hard by the phantom 3. It is a large bird and not trivial to catch with one hand while guiding down with the other.

The mavic is much easier. Keep in mind it is just as dangerous to your flesh but the bottom has a short profile that is easy to catch and it is light enough to catch with one hand without it dropping one one side.

You have to practice it and be very careful. What I do is typically hover above head level (so my face is safe) and then forcefully clasp my fingers just behind the gimble and pull down the left stick hard.

IMG_3691.JPG
Ok so I'm scared of hand catching the Mavic because it's so low, And that got me thinking:

If a propeller cut your finger while landing, would it be powerful enough to cut it off, or would it be just a minor cut sorta thing.

Just curious

I did this to my foot (with socks on) while flying (crashing) indoors. Mavic:1, Foot:0. It hurt for a week. Don't do this at home.

There's a whole thread on here somewhere of people posting their Mavic related war wounds.

You can hand catch it. The main keyword here is "firm", catch it firmly.

There was once I hand catch and Mavic trying to ascend, and don't under estimate the Mavic power to pull over, my wrist got sort of small twist.

Always be alert and careful when hand catch, don't over confident. i.e wink at friend and turn back to hand catch :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo