DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think the Mavic is powerful enough to cut a finger?

I stopped my mavic wandering into a concrete wall on atti mode with my hands.
the little cuts across both hands kind of told a story how the props hit.
I would hate to get bit by them on full stick.

Those carbon fiber props on the real big drones..not good.
Im sure there is someone on youtube hand catching one just so can post it

Making a small hand held launching/landing pad, say 12X12, (so 6X12 folded) folding with a handle on the bottom is no problem. Heck, even a masons mud tray would work.

I launch mine off my bicycle helmet if the grass it too thick

I stopped my mavic wandering into a concrete wall on atti mode with my hands.
the little cuts across both hands kind of told a story how the props hit.
I would hate to get bit by them on full stick.

Those carbon fiber props on the real big drones..not good.
Im sure there is someone on youtube hand catching one just so can post it

Ok so I'm scared of hand catching the Mavic because it's so low, And that got me thinking:

If a propeller cut your finger while landing, would it be powerful enough to cut it off, or would it be just a minor cut sorta thing.

Just curious
I can tell you absolutely that it WILL cut a finger. And yes I did something stupid when I panicked while flying indoors and it was drifting toward a wall. The mind directs the body to do dumb things when you panic.

I prefer to catch it above my head so the props have no way to touch anything.
Photo 18-02-2017, 13 59 20.jpg

One must ask himself... why put my finger(s) near a rotating mass, such as a blade with an RPM of 500, at idle??
If you think they wont cut you, your wrong. Don't try it...
This is simple physics!

Reactions: BrunaGH
One must ask himself... why put my finger(s) near a rotating mass, such as a blade with an RPM of 500, at idle??
If you think they wont cut you, your wrong. Don't try it...
This is simple physics!

It's the science of Stupidology.

A strimmer uses a small plastic line to cut vegetation, it's not even blade shaped - would I fancy putting my fingers near it? Nae chance.

The Mavic props are sculptured into a similar shape as blade with a thin leading edge. Nope, nope, nope.

I wonder if there's a market for videos of self inflicted drone injury, a gap in the market for a YouTube channel perhaps? If a woman can make millions from bursting plooks then drone gore must have similar appeal?

If you want a picture of a damaged finger by a Mavic, there's one:

Warning, there is some blood, but a minor cut.
First LINK
Second LINK

Interesting to read so many advice on hand catching the drone, yet no warning whatsoever that by grabbing her from underneath, one does actually grabs her by the RADIATOR; which, especially if there was a lot of hovering beforehand (pun intended), tends to get pretty hot, and not the best surprise to feel while focusing solely on the spinning propellers! :D
Not planning to hand catch mine; I've already cut myself in those blades just by folding them back together, while packing my drone, with my Mavic powered off :) I'd rather trade a new set of propellers than my own fingers!

I catch mine often! been bit twice...
But those were poor judgement of indoor sessions catching mavic is not that difficult

1.shoulder height
2. Lower like your gunna land
3.grab base and hold stick down
4.let it slow down

If it tries to compensate it will try to rip up let go it only goes up about 5 ft than try again

My flying buddies all catch ours when no flat ground is available

why is everyone forcefully gripping the mavic? It freaks the vision system and causes the mavic to try and get away from you.
Just palm land.
Put your right hand out about 30 cm below the belly of the mavic and let the vision system see your palm. Use your right hand so this allows your left hand to control the throttle.
Keep hand still and down throttle till the mavic lands on your hand. Remain still and keep down throttle until motors turn off.

Just my two cents, i do sometimes hand catch, but i never grip it until the motors have shut down. My hand just allows the Mavic to think it has landed. Gripping it while the motors are still running can cause it to fight you, and that is asking for trouble.
Mike.

I brought this up before on another thread but it sort of applies here too..........

What about using the piece of carpet just about every car has in the trunk to cover the spare tire as a landing pad? Some of those even have a piece of fiber board attached to them to make them support the weight of the objects in the trunk. They are certainly firm enough to sit on rocky terrain without much flex, and if needed a couple well placed rocks under one or more corners would level it up. Or how about the bed of a pickup truck? Or the hood or roof of a car or truck? Does the landing area have to be flat flat as in zero angle? Maybe the metal of a vehicle is not optimal?

I took 5 pieces of cardboard about 3' x 3' and taped them together. This fits in the back of my 4Runner nice, but it would certainly stand on end in a sedan behind the front seat. It's heavy enough not to blow away and when it gets muddy or damaged I just make another one. I live in the country and don't always cut my grass regularly so I needed something. I could also put this on the hood or roof of my 4Runner if the only place to launch/land was from a creek.

If you are really going remote, and you are way out in the middle of nowhere and everything is being packed in, I am sure you could rig up one of those collapsible/foldable car sun shades (they sell these now as drone landing pads for a lot more money) and with some para cord tie that sucker to some spaced saplings/trees. I get the whole portability thing but if you want to be totally portable, you are going to need to learn to hand catch.

I tried to hand catch a XK X251 brushless racer and only did it once. There is a lot of force at full throttle and it was more surprising than I would have thought. Added to the anxiety and potential disaster. I got lucky.

Ok so I'm scared of hand catching the Mavic because it's so low, And that got me thinking:

If a propeller cut your finger while landing, would it be powerful enough to cut it off, or would it be just a minor cut sorta thing.

Just curious

The MP hit a tree and fell to the ground upside down. When I picked it up, a blade cut the corner of the end of my finger off. No need for stitches - nothing to stitch. Fortunately, it grew back. I now have a lot of respect for the MP props.

I know it will slice a bumble bee.....[emoji219]
3fbc488d0dd568fc70f186c88e0ced92.jpg

Reactions: TomKemp
I know it will slice a bumble bee.....[emoji219]

LOL , Bees ,wasp , hornets etc love the sound of drones and helis . I've sliced quite a few with heli blades but don't have the cool screen shot :)

Reactions: TomKemp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851