DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you unfold your props everytime before starting motors?

Do you take the time to extend/unfold the props before starting motors?

• Yes

Votes: 155 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 82 34.6%

• Total voters
Unfold (and inspect) because pre flight checks and all that jazz

No point just powering on and hoping for the best

Do people who not unfold also use auto take off? Now that would be a more interesting poll

Thank You for posting this..... I didn't know that you should unfold the props.

That's why this forum is a great resource..... as you will learn something new all the time by hangin' out here!!

I unfold them also, I don't want any unnecessary stress on the hub or latch pins, if you have ever seen what happens to a quad when it looses a prop you don't want that to happen. I think having both props starting out on the same side of the hub can't be a good thing.

Leave them slightly unfolded. Don't like the shake if not even half unfolded. Don't straighten them 100%

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: pjnashville
This is not intended to slight anyone but to just explain my reasoning. If one is to be responsible for an aircraft in flight one should (at a minimum) visually inspect/test all pertinent aspects of that aircraft before flight. Leaving the blades folded to me suggests that the blades are not being inspected properly. I suppose one could perform blade inspection with them folded but I feel pretty confident that leaving them folded makes it hard to inspect the integrity of the hinge points unless one folds them back after the inspection.

Why take any tips for about 10 seconds . The manual clearly says unfold them so why for any reason would you not . I'm sure it won't do any damage but why not just respect your investment and why not follow the manual .
The biggest mistake and nearly all problems come back to compass calibrations. The manual clearly says never calibrate without being asked too . I understand with all the previous drones it says calibrate but technology moves on .

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

The manual also state to recalibrate at any new flyight if in adifferent location from the previous one, in my case (and I guess in most people case) that means basically every flight.

From the manual (page 50):

When to Recalibrate

1. When compass data is abnormal and the Aircraft Status Indicator is blinking green and yellow.
2. When flying in a new location or in a location that is different from the most recent flight.
3. When the mechanical or physical structure of the Mavic Pro has been changed.
4. When severe drifting occurs in ight, i.e. Mavic Pro does not y in straight line.

Unfold them. The motors and arms are off-balance until the props are fully unfolded by centrifugal force. That can put premature strain and unnecceaty stress on the motors and arms.

Reactions: whichwayisup
I agree 100%. All you have to do is record a Mavic (at 60 frames per second) starting up with the props NOT unfolded and then play it back at 30 frames per second and just watch the shuddering that the Mavic goes through trying to straighten out the props. It shakes the Mavic heavily from side to side and that has to be harder on the motors than if the props were unfolded.

Now video the Mavic starting up (at 60 frames per second) with the props unfolded and play it back at 30 frames per second and you'll notice right away that the Mavic starts up without that awful shuddering. It just makes good sense to unfold the props so there'll be much less stress on the motor shafts.

Bud

I alway unfold them, with three things in mind:
  1. It only takes me five seconds to do so.
  2. If there is a problem with the props, this is an extra chance to recognize it.
  3. There's a big unbalance before centrifugal force straighten the blades which creates unnecessary load at the motor bearings.

I don't get them perfectly straight but do separate them. I always check to make sure they're not cracked or loose or anything, so just doing that straightens them out some.

If it wasnt mentioned already, the motor startup procedure dictates that it sends two precise, timed and separate power bursts to unfold props. That is why you hear it rev twice on startup before it idles.
I unfold props to lessen forces on motor although no real method could determine if beneficial or not.

My Phantom 3 also revs twice before idling and they have fixed propellers. So I don't think this procedure is for unfolding the props on the Mavic.

Reactions: Ursus Horribilis
I agree. I think the high speed revs are to toss off a poorly fitted propeller before it getsinto the air.

Bud

My Phantom 3 also revs twice before idling and they have fixed propellers. So I don't think this procedure is for unfolding the props on the Mavic.

Never

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest