DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you use apps to notify the faa about your flights?

Native Hawk eye

Reactions
The FAA has set up the b4ufly app to notify them of your activities. There is also Airmap. Im curious if anybody uses these. I honestly wanna fly safe but is it necesarry?

I find this one helpfull because it provides the numbers to heliports and air traffic controllers and shows restricted air space.

What do you guys think about flight reporting?

Would be cool to have airmap showing other drone pilots nearby. I was flying at a park yesterday when i noticed a phantom 3 hovering over me at about 150feet. Kind of creeped me out as i felt he was checking me out. Lol.

8e701fe23a4c9c3f7efe92b6cb42109a.jpg

Sent from my LGMS550 using MavicPilots mobile app

I emailed a local airport as it appeared on my UK Done Assist app, they asked me for specifics but I just replied telling them it was my duty to inform them, not seek their permission.

Reactions: Native Hawk eye
I emailed a local airport as it appeared on my UK Done Assist app, they asked me for specifics but I just replied telling them it was my duty to inform them, not seek their permission.

That's nice that they got back to you. Way easier than a phone call. Be nice if they all had a text-in system or something.

Why not tell them the details they request? You might be in their approach path that day or a plane could report an issue. It's better for everyone if they know where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I worry about flying on the beach due to the high number of small crafts with banners and helicopters here in South Florida. This app im using sends you notifications of nearby aircraft but it doesnt show them on the map. Would be helpfull to have.

I called an airport last week and the guy actually asked me why I was telling him. I told him I was required too and he told me he had no idea about the drone laws and he appreciated it. We chatted for a few minutes and he actually told me some areas that looked great from a plane that I should check out! Ill be honest I am nervous every airport I call but so far I have not had an issue and everyone has been willing to talk. I think it is about how you approach it. If you say well guess what you cant deny me blah blah then to me your starting off on the wrong foot. I start with my intentions and reassurance that I want to keep clear of any incoming or outgoing aircraft, then ask if there are any areas I should be aware of or that they would prefer I stay out of. At the end of the day I don't want to be responsible to a near miss or worse.

I will say one airport told me you are all good no one will be in the area. No more than 2 minutes after I got the Mavic up to 100 ft a small plane came cruising in looking like it was below 400 feet over the beach.

That's nice that they got back to you. Way easier than a phone call. Be nice if they all had a text-in system or something.

Why not tell them the details they request? You might be in their approach path that day or a plane could report an issue. It's better for everyone if they know where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I didn't want to have to let them know each time I wanted to fly so I just told them I would be flying at certain times, would not be going above a certain height and closer than a certain distance. I am fully aware of the take off and landing approaches and will not be anywhere near them. If they do not breach their rules then we have no reason to worry.

I called an airport last week and the guy actually asked me why I was telling him. I told him I was required too and he told me he had no idea about the drone laws and he appreciated it. We chatted for a few minutes and he actually told me some areas that looked great from a plane that I should check out! Ill be honest I am nervous every airport I call but so far I have not had an issue and everyone has been willing to talk. I think it is about how you approach it. If you say well guess what you cant deny me blah blah then to me your starting off on the wrong foot. I start with my intentions and reassurance that I want to keep clear of any incoming or outgoing aircraft, then ask if there are any areas I should be aware of or that they would prefer I stay out of. At the end of the day I don't want to be responsible to a near miss or worse.

I will say one airport told me you are all good no one will be in the area. No more than 2 minutes after I got the Mavic up to 100 ft a small plane came cruising in looking like it was below 400 feet over the beach.
Wow. I live near a hospital with a helipad and the b4ufly app says i need to notify them. Lets see how that goes. I do think its important for us to follow the rules so we dont end up getting more rules. The point of this is to be safe and enjoy the flight without worring about a badge showing up and you have nothing to say. I do think its a bit inconvenient to have to call and check in but its for the best. Here are a few of my apps and you'll also see the notification sent to me by this app.
d17a468c0d26daed37a0f817c1cef287.jpg

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
I called a regional airport here in CO and it was super quick. I told him where I wanted to fly which was just barely in the 5 mile range of the airport. He just asked if I was a hobbyist or doing some commercial. I told him I was a hobbyist and he said, "Cool, just stay below 400ft. and have a good time."

Reactions: TraylorTrash
Wow. I live near a hospital with a helipad and the b4ufly app says i need to notify them. Lets see how that goes. I do think its important for us to follow the rules so we dont end up getting more rules. The point of this is to be safe and enjoy the flight without worring about a badge showing up and you have nothing to say. I do think its a bit inconvenient to have to call and check in but its for the best. Here are a few of my apps and you'll also see the notification sent to me by this app.
d17a468c0d26daed37a0f817c1cef287.jpg

Thanks for those apps. AirMap looks awesome and will start using it. Since I have my Part 107 I usually do a NOTAM as well if I"m going to be in an area for long.

Thanks for those apps. AirMap looks awesome and will start using it. Since I have my Part 107 I usually do a NOTAM as well if I"m going to be in an area for long.
Awesomeness. Im thinking about the 107 in the near future. As a young man i did a lil pilot training and keep a fresh copy of the Pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge. What industry are you working on?

Awesomeness. Im thinking about the 107 in the near future. As a young man i did a lil pilot training and keep a fresh copy of the Pilots handbook of aeronautical knolege. What industry are you working on?

I"m in IT so drone flying is purely hobby right now. But I got my Part 107 so I could do it commercially on the side (my neighbor is a real estate agent) and eventually be able to supplement my drone purchases. So was a good learning experience and the Part 107 is good for two years.

I"m in IT so drone flying is purely hobby right now. But I got my Part 107 so I could do it commercially on the side (my neighbor is a real estate agent) and eventually be able to supplement my drone purchases. So was a good learning experience and the Part 107 is good for two years.
I own a Landscaping company and may be using it to gather aerials for landscape designing and marketing. I also breed American Bullys so i know im gonna need it. The possibilities are endless. I can also check on my lawns without driving to them. Lol
40f6f372126d56cad29c4b0765029838.jpg

I own a Landscaping company and may be using it to gather aerials for landscape designing and marketing. I also breed American Bullys so i know im gonna need it. The possibilities are endless. I can also check on my lawns without driving to them. Lol
40f6f372126d56cad29c4b0765029838.jpg

Very nice...on a recent flight day I chases some dogs with a Phantom 3 Standard in VR mode. It's at the end of this video. Ended up getting some good shots of it:

Very nice...on a recent flight day I chases some dogs with a Phantom 3 Standard in VR mode. It's at the end of this video. Ended up getting some good shots of it:

Nice. Im gonna be a good boy this year so the wife lets me grab the inspire. Lol.. My first drone is this here mavic. Wish it had reverse sensors but it is what it is.
Heres my first video production.

Nice. Im gonna be a good boy this year so the wife lets me grab the inspire. Lol.. My first drone is this here mavic. Wish it had reverse sensors but it is what it is.
Heres my first video production.

Very nice. The thing about sensors is you learn to rely on them too much. Always know where your drone is at and don't rely on it. It's good to have, but I don't trust it 100%.

How did you get your 107 certification? I'm considering it.

Question on Heliports.
If its a Hospital heliport do you still need to call them everytime I fly?
Is it safe to fly just using the FAA requirements, staying below 400 Ft and so on?

Only reason I ask there is a Hospital Heliport about 2 miles from my house.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb