DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone can find post with link to screenshot DJI legal stating upgrade optional and that suasne

adiru

Reactions
Does anyone can find post with link to screenshot DJI legal stating upgrade optional and that .suasnews.com was not reporting correctly?

I wanted to state that if the recent screenshots can be proven to be authentic, then it would appear that DJI's legal counsel went on record by stating in writing that DJI is not going to "force" anyone to upgrade if they don't want to, specifically as it applies to the upcoming firmware and the new DJI Go and DJI Go 4 apps. Then if they recant or renege on that, it could be grounds for class action.

But I can't find that post with the screenshot anywhere anymore.

Anyone know which one I'm talking about? Was it removed/redacted?!

/////////

Update, found it:

https://i.imgur.com/hcA2Hl3.png

Antivirus scan for e00e800c9c31fd1204e175e35cdec77f435316d3c7b27afa8e2c1af9e985ac3c at 2017-05-21 17:56:14 UTC - VirusTotal

Brendan Schulman, Vice President of Policy and Legal Affairs at DJI, stated on or about May 20th 2017 that "You do not have to update the firmware and app if you don't want to." and that "If you do, you'll just need to reactivate with a single login"

So the real question is, if a user chooses or otherwise elects not to update the firmware and not to update the app, presumably the artificial limitations such as the 98 feet maximum altitude and 150 feet maximum range will not then nor at any point in the future retroactively take effect on this older firmware and app versions?

My legal analysis is that if DJI gives existing users BOTH the option NOT to upgrade firmware/app and ALSO do nothing in the way or preventing existing users who are choosing NOT to upgrade to be subjected to new limitations then there is nothing to see here. If there is not a "silent countdown timer" in firmware versions such as .200/.400/.500 etc that will at some yet to be unbeknownst point in time that disallows the Mavic from flying (or otherwise materially handicaps it in any way shape or form) until and unless the owner upgrades to this aforementioned "new firmware", "new app" that will require re-activation, re-login, etc then from a legal standpoint DJI is covered.

If however what attorney Schulman really meant when he said "You do not have to update the firmware and app if you don't want to." is that DJI is not legally compelling any user to perform the act of upgrading, however after a point in time, to be determined at DJI's discretion, those who don't upgrade will no longer be able to fly their Mavic and /or will be capped to 98 feet max altitude, 150 feet max range, no live feed, and other artificial limitations post-sales, retroactively and after the fact, without consent and without re-activation, without having to have consented to nor agreeing to new terms of service etc then potentially DJI at least in the US could be in legal troubles here if some customers so inclined were to wish to take legal action.

hcA2Hl3.png

Last edited:
I went back and revisited each of the pages, I don't see it anymore. I didn't take a screenshot of the screenshot at the time, I'm not sure who posted the screenshot but it doesn't appear to be there anymore.

As soon as I get a chance I will re look as I saw it too .
It was not removed by me .

As soon as I get a chance I will re look as I saw it too .
It was not removed by me .

What is really strange is last night, if I recall correctly, I could have sworn I saw it on BOTH this forum and on DJI Mavic's own forum and on reddit.com/r/djimavic but now I don't see it anywhere anymore.

There were so many threads about this topic who knows where we saw it . I saw it also .

here is an upload of the screenshot

< IMG_0908.PNG >
SHA-1: 5C797E89652893D2EB2C90A8EFF088919A66C7E0
SHA-256: E00E800C9C31FD1204E175E35CDEC77F435316D3C7B27AFA8E2C1AF9E985AC3C
SHA-512: 28BDB459F14AB5C77FF38C7C8F8477E6175BDEB7AC7985C48CF809F731D7E9A7BD02E9DED605A8E4A40A3310EE497D4E2804DD381A8C19A78D022750ED8173E0

"
My legal analysis is that if DJI gives existing users BOTH the option NOT to upgrade firmware/app and ALSO do nothing in the way or preventing existing users who are choosing NOT to upgrade to be subjected to new limitations then there is nothing to see here. If there is not a "silent countdown timer" in firmware versions such as .200/.400/.500 etc that will at some yet to be unbeknownst point in time that disallows the Mavic from flying (or otherwise materially handicaps it in any way shape or form) until and unless the owner upgrades to this aforementioned "new firmware", "new app" that will require re-activation, re-login, etc then from a legal standpoint DJI is covered.

If however what attorney Schulman really meant when he said "You do not have to update the firmware and app if you don't want to." is that DJI is not legally compelling any user to perform the act of upgrading, however after a point in time, to be determined at DJI's discretion, those who don't upgrade will no longer be able to fly their Mavic and /or will be capped to 98 feet max altitude, 150 feet max range, no live feed, and other artificial limitations post-sales, retroactively and after the fact, without consent and without re-activation, without having to have consented to nor agreeing to new terms of service etc then potentially DJI at least in the US could be in legal troubles here if some customers so inclined were to wish to take legal action.
"

Last edited:
Reactions: wayy510
Depending how this goes, I might switch to litchi again just so I can fly in peace. IF litchi works after this update.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser