DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does DJI have a QC Problem?

Robbyg

Reactions
Watching this video last night I could instantly see that a lot things that they are talking about seem to be mentioned on this forum. My Mavic is older and gives Zero problems. Guys like me scratch our heads when some guys are saying they are having certain issues, maybe this explains it.

Could the Mavic serial number lookup website be re-coded to ask if the model number that is entered has had any problems out of the box. Then the data can be bar graphed by the manufacturing month so we can see if this video is really true.

Rob

Last edited:
Interesting and very plausible . Mine was made on Dec 31st 2016 and arrived Jan 5th . I have had flawless performance .

Reactions: Jim596 and v8juice
Watching this video last night I could instantly see that a lot things that they are talking about seem to be mentioned on this forum. My Mavic is older and gives Zero problems. Guys like me scratch our heads when some guys are saying they are having certain issues, maybe this explains it.

Could the Mavic serial number lookup website be re-coded to ask if the model number that is entered has had any problems out of the box. Then the data can be bar graphed by the manufacturing month so we can see if this video is really true.

Rob
Hey Rob,

That's a great idea. I think the argument of the inverse bell curve for QC issues makes great sense. I had to calibrate my IMU by the way. Not sure why they don't just make this standard protocol.

Hey Rob,

I had to calibrate my IMU by the way. Not sure why they don't just make this standard protocol.

LOL , maybe because we are discussing people at DJI that are trained to do this getting it wrong and then to expect the people buying it that don't even read the manual to do it correctly ?

BTW , I have worked at 3 automotive parts suppliers over the years ,mainly as a industrial robotics and PLC troubleshooter and while they pay such people as myself very well the lowest paid employees are generally the Quality control inspectors . Most even used temp workers for that . It always amazes me why that is so .

Did anyone else notice the light and beeping when the guy's Mavic kept auto-landing? The light was blinking red and it sounded like it was in RTH mode. If the battery was bad and the Mavic thought it was out of juice, I suspect it would auto-land just like it did.

Calibration and stuff like that is a common sense to redo on ANY kind of device coming from "un-known source"

There is a reason re-sellers still exists... But of course people want always the cheapest & scream about "quality" afterwards...

P.S rush of production is also well known in many domains... It's a fact of life we have to accept... We're responsible for it.

Calibration and stuff like that is a common sense to redo on ANY kind of device coming from "un-known source"

There is a reason re-sellers still exists... But of course people want always the cheapest & scream about "quality" afterwards...
But I think this is different because in previous DJI products, they directed you to do these calibrations, whereas with the Mavic they say to NOT do the calibrations unless directed to do so. I think what they should do is have DETAILED AND CLEAR instructions how to calibrate and then have the users do in upon initialization. The "fly out of the box" idea is just not a good idea it seems to me.

P.S rush of production is also well known in many domains... It's a fact of life we have to accept... We're responsible for it.

you right! Thumbswayup

Actually at the start. In late 2016 there was info coming out on the DJI forum that the IMU units should NOT be calibrated because they were already factory calibrated in ideal conditions. Mine was built in Dec 2016 and I have never done a calibration and I have not had any issues at all.

What is kind of alarming is that it seems DJI had no time during the rush period to actually calibrate the IMU's and they never thought to just drop a big old yellow warning sheet in those boxes to say that you must calibrate the IMU. That would have saved so many people so much trouble.

Rob

Did anyone else notice the light and beeping when the guy's Mavic kept auto-landing? The light was blinking red and it sounded like it was in RTH mode. If the battery was bad and the Mavic thought it was out of juice, I suspect it would auto-land just like it did.
I'm color blind and never able to decipher the color codes, but I'm guessing it might be related to the NFZ autolanding protocol as he states he is in a NFZ.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada