DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does everyone fly in Airplane mode

I have never flown in airplane mode. Never even thought of it. I use a galaxy S7 edge. Never had a problem. Had a couple of calls while flying and put phone on speaker and kept flying while talking on the phone.

Yesterday when I was flying, the screen went blank while I was about a kilometre away. It was as if the camera went dead. I started to panic a little but then I tapped return to home not knowing if it would. Good news is that it did. Scary not knowing what was happening until I was able to hear it coming. After it landed I checked it over but could not find what was wrong so packed up and went home.The next day I fired it up and it was working perfectly. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have gone wrong?

I personally don't. I try to avoid having to push too many buttons before and after the flight. If I turn on airplane mode, I will most certainly forget to turn it off, and that can be bad.

Sure, but then we've got great apps like tasker that can remember when u dont ;-D

Hmmmm i was just wondering this myself, actually i was wondering what airplane mode was on my phone so i was just looking it up hahaha, but i've had my mavic for well over a year now and have never flown with airplane mode, i was only thinking about it today because i was considering going out for a flight while the wife is out, but she tends to call while out and airplane mode crossed my mind, but i don't think i am going to turn it on, i've had no issues with it being on to date, i just ignore everything while i fly and i use an Android,... Samsung

You must pre-cache the maps for this to work. Open DJI GO 4, and hit the menu in the upper right of the splash screen (first screen that comes up). You'll see the Offline Maps option there. You don't need to be plugged into the controller or connected to the Mavic to do this. I too fly in airplane mode, even though I'm on a dedicated device without cell service. I also have USB Debugging turned on in Developer Options (Android), which some have said "might" help with video lag.
I have a brand new Mavic drone (and I'm a new pilot), and want to know if I use a dedicated device (Samsung S7 Edge) will that be fine if I don't have cellular service. I won't have a Sim in it, so will it still gather flight data? Do I need to connect to a service before each flight? I see people mentioning downloading map locations etc, and I'm so green.... I'm hoping to get some direction. Or do I just use my current cell phone and just turn to airplane mode minutes before flight? Help help help please!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu