DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Remember it's Home point, after Total loss of Signal?

HK!

Reactions
I had my biggest moment yet with my Mavic the other day. It was my own Fault.
But Id like to learn from it

So yeh, I flew behind the building I was circling, putting lots of cement, metal and wi-fi in front of me, and got a total loss of Signal/Video feed, the works.

I've no idea what actualy happened, but i had set the RTH higher than the building, so I'd like to think it rose
to the set RTH altititude and made it's way towards the Homepoint. (as my signal resumed in about 20 seconds)

So I guess my question is ...
In the event of a "Complete" Signal break from the Controller & Phone; does Mavic retain the ability/GPS info to RTH?

Perhaps someone could elaborate, thanks

So yeh, I flew behind the building I was circling, putting lots of cement, metal and wi-fi in front of me, and got a total loss of Signal/Video feed, the works.

I've no idea what actualy happened, but i had set the RTH higher than the building, so I'd like to think it rose
to the set RTH altititude and made it's way towards the Homepoint. (as my signal resumed in about 20 seconds)

In the event of a "Complete" Signal break from the Controller & Phone; does Mavic retain the ability/GPS info to RTH?

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20161226/Mavic+Pro+User+Manual+V1.2.pdf

"Failsafe RTH", page 13.

MK

Reactions: HowSR
Yeh thanks. I've read the manual. was looking for some real world Tips there m8.

'The manual states the aircraft cannot RTH when the GPS signal is low or weak'

So you can see how one could worry that a 'Total loss of Controller signal/Feed', would in turn cancel out the GPS Functions that are being provided by your controller & phone, resulting in a braindead aircraft.

Now's where you tell me how Mavic overcomes this scenario, cheers

Reactions: themixguy
The manual states the aircraft cannot RTH when the GPS signal is low or weak'

So you can see how one could worry that a 'Total loss of Controller signal/Feed', would in turn cancel out the GPS Functions that are being provided by your controller & phone, resulting in a braindead aircraft.
The manual is referring to the GPS receiver inside of your Mavic. While it's true the last recorded home point is always stored in your Mavic (and never forgotten), it will not be able to return to it if the data coming from its GPS receiver cannot be used. If that occurs, your Mavic will land at its current location instead of trying to return to the home point.

Now's where you tell me how Mavic overcomes this scenario, cheers

It does not.

The good news is that there's no "cancel out of the GPS functions" for losing connection to the controller. These functions are integral to the flying device, not the controller.

The bad news is that if a combination of both failures exists - "GPS signal is weak or unavailable" and "communication lost to the remote controller for more than 3 seconds", the Mavic will just revert to ATTI, and keep this mode until critical battery level is reached, at which point it will land wherever it is.

MK

The bad news is that if a combination of both failures exists - "GPS signal is weak or unavailable" and "communication lost to the remote controller for more than 3 seconds", the Mavic will just revert to ATTI, and keep this mode until critical battery level is reached, at which point it will land wherever it is.
If the GPS data cannot be used and the remote controller signal is lost for 3 seconds, the Mavic will land at its current location immediately. The only time that won't happen is when "Hover" is selected here:

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

If the GPS data cannot be used and the remote controller signal is lost for 3 seconds, the Mavic will land at its current location immediately. The only time that won't happen is when "Hover" is selected here:

View attachment 5917

That is not a logical inference from the manual statements and the app selections.

The app images you linked to relate to "signal lost" for normal operations, i.e, GPS signal available.

The fact that "landing" is second in that list is by no means an indication that, if GPS signal is lost, immediate landing will be the default.

Since GPS signal loss results in ATTI mode engagement. The logical thing to happen, in my view, is, if remote control signal is then lost, for the aircraft to maintain ATTI flight and then land at critical battery level, something that would allow for controller signal to be re-established until full battery depletion.

MK

Last edited:
That is not a logical inference from the manual statements and the app selections
I understand the manual can be confusing. It might not be logical to you, but that's what happens.

It's actually sad, not even DJI technical support is clear what happens. They say the drone will do a 180 and backtrack until the signal is re-established.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Just come here when you have questions ;)

Thanks a lot. Th
It does not.

The good news is that there's no "cancel out of the GPS functions" for losing connection to the controller. These functions are integral to the flying device, not the controller.

MK

Thanks for your replies!
I'm glad the aircraft has some GPS smarts of its own.
GPS Signal at the device or controller was not the issue. Just a break in RC signal from the building blocking.

I reckon if GPS is maintained at the aircraft then its must still have the smarts to start a RTH.

Worst case scenario the RC signal cut has affected the GPS too and it goes into an ATTI Hover is reassuring.
Makes sense it would. I hope it indeed makes sense to the aircraft to attempt to make land at Low Battery and not plummet :|

Reactions: themixguy
Worst case scenario the RC signal cut has affected the GPS too and it goes into an ATTI Hover is reassuring.
It will only go into a hover if you select "Hover" in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

If "Return-to-Home" is selected above (the default setting), your Mavic will auto land at its current location if it attempts to return to home when the Mavic's GPS data is not being used.

Yes, it does. But make sure that once you take off you wait at least 10 secs before heading off to ensure you have a precise landing location.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

make sure that once you take off you wait at least 10 secs before heading off to ensure you have a precise landing location
All you need to do is take off and ascend straight up for at least 30 feet. There is no need to hover at any point for 10 seconds.

Yes, hovering would be much easier. People have tried that and it does not work.

Reactions: JAY DEE

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa