DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

I completely agree with Realist123456. Light seems to be essential. Yesterday I flew with 000 and PAL NTSC PAL reset which until then always did the job. But I forgot to remove the ND16 filter after sunset and I got horrible watercolor in trees again. Clearly not enough light on the sensor.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I agree. Neat video is amazing and saved my butt a number of times. But the processing time is glacial. I'll give the +1 and Neat go and see how it shapes up. I'm still getting my head around the mavic so won't be using for a real job any time soon but at least I'm feeling a bit better that I don't have a dud. There was a rumour that the latest batch of Mavics had faults but it seems from what I finding out that it's just the limitation imposed by their quality and the light and landscape in which they're flown.

Yeah, I've got a pretty beefy computer (6-core at 4.4GHz, 64GB RAM, GTX 1070), and it still takes a very long time to render clips with Neat Video. For example, a 10 second 4k clip from the Mavic could take several minutes to render at 2.7k or 1080p.

I completely agree with Realist123456. Light seems to be essential. Yesterday I flew with 000 and PAL NTSC PAL reset which until then always did the job. But I forgot to remove the ND16 filter after sunset and I got horrible watercolor in trees again. Clearly not enough light on the sensor.

I'm going down to do another afternoon flight now and will test it again in an hour or two when it starts getting dark and just see how it looks when I dial down to 0,-1,-2 and -3. I suspect it will re-confirm my observations from yesterday.

It is normal to see muddy colors at high ISO as the noise is higher and noise reduction is needed (similarly observed on Leica SL). Best would be if DJI would provide an option to turn noise reduction off manually.

It is normal to see muddy colors at high ISO as the noise is higher and noise reduction is needed (similarly observed on Leica SL). Best would be if DJI would provide an option to turn noise reduction off manually.

I'm not getting muddy colours but then I shoot in manual at 100 iso and adjust the shutter speed to compensate.

Yeah, I've got a pretty beefy computer (6-core at 4.4GHz, 64GB RAM, GTX 1070), and it still takes a very long time to render clips with Neat Video. For example, a 10 second 4k clip from the Mavic could take several minutes to render at 2.7k or 1080p.
I've got an optioned up Mac trashcan and I don't even want to think about what half a hour of 4k footage would take to process. I tried warp stabiliser on a 30 minute clip the other day and after and hour or two the computer came up with a warning about overheating and damaging itself. So I'm thinking Neat is going to be an issue with everything except for very short clips. So throw some warp stabilise, Neat and colour grade on there and should be a whole lotta fun :-0

I'm not getting muddy colours but then I shoot in manual at 100 iso and adjust the shutter speed to compensate.
You wrote "I got horrible watercolor".
The term 'watercolor effect' is AFAIK used only in DJI Mavic forums. In video terminology, again AFAIK, the preferred way to describe it is muddy colors.
I assumed that with ND16 and after sunset your ISO must have been much higher than ISO 100, wasn't it? Or were you heavily underexposed which also causes lots of noise and therefore triggers noise reduction.

You wrote "I got horrible watercolor".
The term 'watercolor effect' is AFAIK used only in DJI Mavic forums. In video terminology, again AFAIK, the preferred way to describe it is muddy colors.
I assumed that with ND16 and after sunset your ISO must have been much higher than ISO 100, wasn't it? Or were you heavily underexposed which also causes lots of noise and therefore triggers noise reduction.

Nokia said he was getting "horrible watercolour". I think this is an effect that many of us are experiencing that ASAIK is a different problem to "muddy colors". The watercolour effect describes a general blurring and blending of detail whereas muddy colors to me would suggest a decrease in saturation combined with a possible shift towards a lower colour temperature? IGH?

I went 18 emails with them... they still say it is lens misalignment. I gave them proof images where same part of image is both sharp (lighter type of tree) and muddy (darker type of tree). Total horseshit! Even more they will not refund me for shipping cost to them. And they do not want to admit that their NR algoritm sucks balls.

Everyone that has this issue have to open a report ticket with DJI to force push to the R&D to get their heads out of theirs buts.

Sorry for my attitude but that will happen too you to after 18 emails with them, trying to reason with them. I was polite to them and they become rude - "we will not discuss this anymore" was their last replay. What kind of company does that.

Any probono lawyers here? :)

Reactions: photoboy
I went 18 emails with them... they still say it is lens misalignment. I gave them proof images where same part of image is both sharp (lighter type of tree) and muddy (darker type of tree). Total horseshit! Even more they will not refund me for shipping cost to them. And they do not want to admit that their NR algoritm sucks balls.

Everyone that has this issue have to open a report ticket with DJI to force push to the R&D to get their heads out of theirs buts.

Sorry for my attitude but that will happen too you to after 18 emails with them, trying to reason with them. I was polite to them and they become rude - "we will not discuss this anymore" was their last replay. What kind of company does that.

Any probono lawyers here? :)
Welcome to the world of DJI ! I had a going on 6 page thread /post on the DJI forum about this issue trying to bring it to their attention and they DELETED yes DELETED the post ! That says a lot about the quackery of DJI KEN and the rest of the NUT cases ………..

I've got an optioned up Mac trashcan and I don't even want to think about what half a hour of 4k footage would take to process. I tried warp stabiliser on a 30 minute clip the other day and after and hour or two the computer came up with a warning about overheating and damaging itself. So I'm thinking Neat is going to be an issue with everything except for very short clips. So throw some warp stabilise, Neat and colour grade on there and should be a whole lotta fun :-0

What I've been doing is applying my noise reduction to the original drone file and then exporting it in Cineform intermediate format. I then use the Cineform file for any further manipulations (which I usually do in Davinci Resolve). Although the initial Cineform render takes a while, the further additions I make in Resolve (colour correction and their equivalent of the warp stabilizer) have resulted in very quick renders. I'd recommend giving this approach a try.

Reactions: 2nd2non
Well guys I had a late shoot and threw the mavic and case in the car and after my shoot I did a little testing other than a golf course . It’s a fast edit as I threw it together. The start seems to had a little focus issue and I reset each time from NTSC TO PAL AND THEN BACK to ntsc i was at 800 and 16 ISO and added a little sharpening in post and I think I had +1 sharp added in camera as I new it being dark I would need as much as possible… Again sorry for the sloppy edit….

I had this issue and others. Out of the box video footage was perfect. Quality subsequently declined over several flights and one firmware update. Water colour effect. Focus issues. Mushy video especially on trees. Researched a lot, tried the Recalibrate route. Fixed it by rolling back the firmware to the earliest version available. Recalibrated IMU Etc. Footage returned to perfect again. (Therefore proving this isn't a hardware issue). Like a pc getting corrupted over time I suspect the firmware updates are conflicting with each other and messing up the imaging. Dilema now is that I want to fly with the latest firmware to guarantee that the Mavic is safe, but suspect that the image will degrade again.

I would like to get as many people involved in this discussion as possible as the internet is alive with these complaints and with our collective voices we can get this done and we all deserve better.

I know this is going to be hard for many of us as, like me you are probably so impressed with this little guy that a lot of us (like I said not everyone seems to be affected) are settling for a faulty product. And I get it. It is small, well built and is easier and more fun to fly than my p4. P4 Pro and Inspire 1, so how do you send something like that back? And if you’re like me, I ordered (and paid for it) on October 10th, but waited 50 plus days to get it (December 6th).

It also appears that some of the earlier shipments and video samples I saw (that originally sold me) seem… less than Phantom, but not by much. And as the old adage goes, “The best camera is always the one you have with you” I spend a lot of time in remote areas so I am ok with a little image sacrifice, but NOT what I am getting!

Ok so here it is and please chime in with observations and upload samples. The more proof we get the better chance we have of resolution.

A lot of us are having very serious focus and resolution issues with the Mavic. Regardless of how diligent we are on focusing (and YES we are taking the bubble off!) the image still seems very soft. So what I did was a close frame-by-frame analysis and in most cases each frame of the video looks more like a watercolor painting.

Here is a Dropbox link (Dropbox - Mavic Samples) to a folder that contains 4 short samples of video taken at 4096, 3840 and 1920 resolution. I also added the video named “Shot-Also-at-3840” that I originally shot that drove me to do a controlled test. Because in fairness the original subject matter of leafless trees is daunting detail for any camera much less this little guy and wanted to be fair. To that end my test consisted of something simpler. I did a hover in front of my house.

I have also provide representative frame grabs from each of the first 3 movies where you can clearly see the effect I am talking about. The 1920 video almost looks like a stylized posterize filter was put on in photoshop, and I believe that this is what is happening to all the videos just to a smaller extent.

PS. After sharing these samples with DJI that sent me an RMA within minutes and promised a new Mavic within 5 to 7 business days. I'll keep you all posted as to if this is lip-service or for real. Also if there is a moderator here or anyone that can get a DJI rep in this forum, PLEASE do!

PSS. So you know it is not me, here is another very capable guy on youtube showing the exact same "Water Color" issue.
I posted this at the foot of the forum in error rather than reply but ... had this issue. Out of the box video footage was perfect. Quality subsequently declined over several flights and one firmware update. Water colour effect. Focus issues. Mushy video especially on trees. Researched a lot, tried the Recalibrate route. Fixed it by rolling back the firmware to the earliest version availible. Recalibrated IMU Etc. Footage returned to perfect again. (Therefore proving this isn't a hardware issue). Like a pc getting corrupted over time I suspect the firmware updates are conflicting with each other. Dilema now is that I want to fly with the latest firmware to guarantee that the Mavic is safe, but suspect that the image will degrade again.

I think so ( hope so )
Why would you think it wont?
It only fixes it for the flight and after you disconnect and power down as you lose it! That is what I have noticed. AGAIN, its all over the place as times even after a reset I find mush focus. I noticed something last night while flying in south beach. My first flight I had done the reset from ntsc to pal and back to ntsc before flying. The focus was giving me issues as it would try to focus and get perfect then out and stop it did this more than once. I stopped and moved across the bridge to the city and did the same thing and the focusing got better but still a little testy at times. I changed batteries and reset again and SAW a big change in sharpness and focus. It was like when I first flew it after taking out of box on day one…. Could it be it needs to warm up? I don’t know ! So I am clueless to what is going on. I do know that what I have concluded is :
The Mavic is a cool BIG BOY toy. It can be at times under the right condition give AMAZING results. BUT, to more of the professional mined and trained eyes its not quite ready or will be ready to use for professional use as bad compression and NR and its a really small sensor compared to whats available in the market. I think my problem is or was how DJI handles issues and problems and how they really don’t care after they have your CASH. The water color issue has to be fixed and is fixable but even after the fix The Mavic will still be a BIG BOY toy that may be used in small non theatrical filming. I can say it has made me fly my geek flag high this past month and Its time to move on to something a little bit better. The Mavic is a really great camera/copter to learn and learn to be more confident in you're flying abilities………

Reactions: JPMavic
Well guys I had a late shoot and threw the mavic and case in the car and after my shoot I did a little testing other than a golf course . It’s a fast edit as I threw it together. The start seems to had a little focus issue and I reset each time from NTSC TO PAL AND THEN BACK to ntsc i was at 800 and 16 ISO and added a little sharpening in post and I think I had +1 sharp added in camera as I new it being dark I would need as much as possible… Again sorry for the sloppy edit….

Man, that is cool.

Reactions: photoboy
I posted this at the foot of the forum in error rather than reply but ... had this issue. Out of the box video footage was perfect. Quality subsequently declined over several flights and one firmware update. Water colour effect. Focus issues. Mushy video especially on trees. Researched a lot, tried the Recalibrate route. Fixed it by rolling back the firmware to the earliest version availible. Recalibrated IMU Etc. Footage returned to perfect again. (Therefore proving this isn't a hardware issue). Like a pc getting corrupted over time I suspect the firmware updates are conflicting with each other. Dilema now is that I want to fly with the latest firmware to guarantee that the Mavic is safe, but suspect that the image will degrade again.
Quick update to my post above. I upgraded the firmware one version at a time up to the current release. re calibrated everything and flew again. Image still perfect. (Art -1,-1,0). Reading the posts and others' experiences with resetting the camera to PAL then back to NTSC, which hasn't worked for me, I'm convinced it's an issue with a script that runs each time the software boots up that is compounding or overwriting some settings, leaving traces which are causing the issue instead of wiping & reloading. This is possibly made worse by new users like myself who experiment with all the different settings Etc. which is creating a lot of garbage in the cache which can only be purged by reinstalling the firmware. The success that some of you guys are having with PAL>NTSC resets is fixing the camera element by doing what the software should be doing automatically each time the things' powered up. If that's correct then presumably an easy fix to build into the next update?

Reactions: frikovc
Quick update to my post above. I upgraded the firmware one version at a time up to the current release. re calibrated everything and flew again. Image still perfect. (Art -1,-1,0). Reading the posts and others' experiences with resetting the camera to PAL then back to NTSC, which hasn't worked for me, I'm convinced it's an issue with a script that runs each time the software boots up that is compounding or overwriting some settings, leaving traces which are causing the issue instead of wiping & reloading. This is possibly made worse by new users like myself who experiment with all the different settings Etc. which is creating a lot of garbage in the cache which can only be purged by reinstalling the firmware. The success that some of you guys are having with PAL>NTSC resets is fixing the camera element by doing what the software should be doing automatically each time the things' powered up. If that's correct then presumably an easy fix to build into the next update?

That sounds spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme