DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

My mission right now is to maximize the limited quality possible from the drone, so I would prefer to keep the discussion focused on the specific use care scenarios and caveats of dlog post feb update

I think it's been covered already and reinforced with the examples people have provided: don't use d-log. Have you tried a d-log vs None test, both graded? What meaningful or worthwhile details has d-log allowed you to save/recover that None would not have? Perhaps you can give us some example work and if enough people submit example work for comparison it'll become apparent in what situations, if ever, it's appropriate to use d-log.

Reactions: halley
My mission right now is to maximize the limited quality possible from the drone, so I would prefer to keep the discussion focused on the specific use care scenarios and caveats of dlog post feb update, as well as the other questions which you gracefully helped answer in my post. The more feedback from experienced cinematographers and the community here the better.

Well said.... Just let's focus on what can be done and what to forget or keep for other set-up... (but I'm still pretty frustrated ±30fps is a no go....)

'Pastel style' video quality, just like a toy camera
This is a real problem and would appreciate any help/ advice
It is intermittent even when settings are unchanged. Some times video quality is very good and other times it's appalling
Pre focusing is not the problem, greens are a mushy paste but outlines of objects are very sharp, I'm guessing some type of algorithm problem
All help appreciated

'Pastel style' video quality, just like a toy camera
This is a real problem and would appreciate any help/ advice
It is intermittent even when settings are unchanged. Some times video quality is very good and other times it's appalling
Pre focusing is not the problem, greens are a mushy paste but outlines of objects are very sharp, I'm guessing some type of algorithm problem
All help appreciated

Camera settings?

Camera settings?
4k 30fps, custom -1,-1,-1, art style, focus infinity
This happens when in full auto as well as manual, which was ISO 100, shutter speed 1/60th, awb cloudy.(using polar pro nd 8)
Same problem without filter
Thanks

Dlog gamma curve changed entirely in mid Feb, everything before that is irrelevant because it's not the same profile.
Shooting with Dlog extends DR noticeably, but does introduce it's own set of problems, which I have asked about in my initial post.

It sounds like someone with a bit more professional experience may be a better fit for my question. I will re-quote it and look forward to hearing from some other members from the community.

Reactions: RitterRunkel
Would love to here from some others regarding dlog and these settings:

From reading here, would you say the following is correct:

Use Dlog for high contrast scenes only, because data is removed from midtones in order to help with highlights/shadows to increase the DR

Use 0,0,0 for dlog, or perhaps 0, -2, 0 for high contrast scenes to slightly improve latitude in post -- NO SHARPNESS REDUCTION FOR DLOG -- is this official?

Use D-Cinelike (or ART) for standard or lower contrast scenes to get a better distribution of data on the starved bitrate (more data in the midtones)

Make sure to ETTR (expose to the right) to keep as much detail as possible. Be careful not to under-expose the Mavic! Remove ND filters if needed and prioritize too high a shutter speed if you must choose between proper shutter and low exposure values. Under-exposing the Mavic is no-go due to the low-bitrate and small sensor.

You may set sharpness at -1 (or perhaps even -2?) for Cinelike/ART profiles, but do NOT do this in dlog, as it will cause watercolour effect (because the log profile removes data from the midtones in order to evenly distribute). But, you could reduce sharpness slightly on another profile that has a more even bit distribution

It seems shooting 2.7k @ 45mbps will give more data per pixel than 4k @ 60mbps?

* Does adding Polar Pro filters reduce sharpness at all? Or no affect?

One other possible issue is the manual infinity focus setting. Infinity focus often doesn't give you the MOST in focus areas possible. Do like others have suggested and auto focus at 30-40ft, the switch to manual to lock that focus in.

Would love to here from some others regarding dlog and these settings:
Thanks a mill for your support
Filters do not seem to affect it, but maybe the Art setting should be avoided as it clearly is inadvertently creating an unwanted art effect
Now I just got to fix the dropped video signal and incorrect rc responses

Never saw that coming.

Give None 0,0,0 a try. You can also try aiming for 120fps rather than 60.
I presume here you mean 1/120 but at 30fps right?

At first I was having no problems with the video but I shot a lot of foliage recently and I'm thinking I need to be a bit more careful of exposure as I got a fair bit of noise reduction artifacts. I was using cinelike with everything at -1 to give a little bit of flexibility but I'll try normal with everything at 0 and also with sharpness at +1 next time.

Any thoughts on turning contrast and saturation down to -1 if sharpness is left at 0 or +1 - is that likely to cause artifacts in complex surfaces like foliage or can we probably get away with a slightly flatter shooting mode if sharpening isn't turned down?

Reactions: MavicMoira
I think the sharpness is the real issue but constrast could play a role as well. Lack of contrast can result in compression and if the compression is excessive (which it often is with the Mavic), can result in banding and the smuged look.

Only way to really tell is to try it and find out. We need as many example shots as possible to start getting an idea of what works and what doesn't.

I think you are asking the right questions. I also ran into weird quality issues. Some shots are really nice, others are very similar to the issue we know from pixel binning at 50fps and above.

>> Use 0,0,0 for dlog, or perhaps 0, -2, 0 for high contrast scenes to slightly improve latitude in post -- NO SHARPNESS REDUCTION FOR DLOG -- is this official? <<

The difference between o sharpness and -1 can be pretty striking in some shots. You can ad sharpening in post, but many details can't be recuparated, so adding filmic grain is the only solution in those cases.

>> Use D-Cinelike (or ART) for standard or lower contrast scenes to get a better distribution of data on the starved bitrate (more data in the midtones) <<

Haven't tested yet, if the problem occurs less with Cinelike.

>> Make sure to ETTR (expose to the right) to keep as much detail as possible. Be careful not to under-expose the Mavic! Remove ND filters if needed and prioritize too high a shutter speed if you must choose between proper shutter and low exposure values. Under-exposing the Mavic is no-go due to the low-bitrate and small sensor. <<

Well, overexposing is a big problem for Mavic's camera as well. So you have to be on the spot. Some low light can be saved or pushed, especially if you have Neatvideo to remove grain.

>> You may set sharpness at -1 (or perhaps even -2?) for Cinelike/ART profiles, but do NOT do this in dlog, as it will cause watercolour effect (because the log profile removes data from the midtones in order to evenly distribute). But, you could reduce sharpness slightly on another profile that has a more even bit distribution <<

From my experience so far my Mavic's picture is almost unusable if you have a lot of small details like trees at -2 sharpness.

>> It seems shooting 2.7k @ 45mbps will give more data per pixel than 4k @ 60mbps? <<

Has anyone tried that out in a bit more scientific manner? So far, I can't see a lot of difference between the 2.7k and the 4k

>> * Does adding Polar Pro filters reduce sharpness at all? Or no affect? <<

Good question. Shoudl try that out. One thing though: If (sun)light falls on your filter (I mean from the side) you loose contrast (that's why we (should) have sunhoods on our lenses). This mostly leads to unusable footage.

Last edited:
I am entirely disappointed with the appalling video quality also, at this stage I've found that there is no point with dlog or art setting, with the 'normal ' setting being just a little better. Previous posts seem to suggest the camera can't handle a wide dynamic range and ends up crushing the mid tones , leaving us with absolute rubbish mushy images you would expect from a toy camera. To be fair it can shoot great video in certain lighting conditions when it doesn't have to cope with a big range in contrasts from light to dark, such narrow tolerances are not practical for daily use.
I had such high expectations after DJI announced the details of such high quality optics with its "expertly tuned sensor " but I got far superior quality footage from my GoPro Hero3 which feels like a step backwards. If anyone can suggest some fix for this, I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: AyeYo
I am entirely disappointed with the appalling video quality also, at this stage I've found that there is no point with dlog or art setting, with the 'normal ' setting being just a little better. Previous posts seem to suggest the camera can't handle a wide dynamic range and ends up crushing the mid tones , leaving us with absolute rubbish mushy images you would expect from a toy camera. To be fair it can shoot great video in certain lighting conditions when it doesn't have to cope with a big range in contrasts from light to dark, such narrow tolerances are not practical for daily use.
I had such high expectations after DJI announced the details of such high quality optics with its "expertly tuned sensor " but I got far superior quality footage from my GoPro Hero3 which feels like a step backwards. If anyone can suggest some fix for this, I'd appreciate it.

The only fix I have found is to work within the limitations and plan all the shots accordingly. I was really inspired by the video Ross made.
I am now playing with the ART setting and yes it produces the zebra stripe patterns on certain objects but running it through multi pass noise reduction removes them. So far this has proven to be the best method I have found.

Rob

Reactions: Japie.G
I am now playing with the ART setting and yes it produces the zebra stripe patterns on certain objects but running it through multi pass noise reduction removes them. So far this has proven to be the best method I have found.

Rob

Can you explain?

The only fix I have found is to work within the limitations and plan all the shots accordingly. I was really inspired by the video Ross made.

Rob
Thanks for that advice, I think I'll try ART and NORMAL next time ,perhaps with just -1 on contrast and see how it works, I'll keep you updated with results

Rob

Which video are you referring to? Thanks!

Hi AyeYo,

I am a professional cinematographer who purchased the drone to capture the best images possible. Due to the nature of my work (remote documentary work on small plane with extremely limited baggage weights) and the need to bring a full camera gear set, the Mavic is my only option for aerials.

Frankly, I bought exactly the right drone and am well aware of where to set expectations. When shooting locally, or even some international projects, we use dedicated operators and drones like the Inspire 2.

My mission right now is to maximize the limited quality possible from the drone, so I would prefer to keep the discussion focused on the specific use care scenarios and caveats of dlog post feb update, as well as the other questions which you gracefully helped answer in my post. The more feedback from experienced cinematographers and the community here the better.
Hello, based on your qualified experience, tell me what resolution and settings do you use for mavic shooting ?
Personally when I make a 360 degrees, I think 30 fps is too less.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3