Does strong winds affect range?

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by kirsten.rossouw, Oct 27, 2016.

1. kirsten.rossouw

kirsten.rossouw New Member

Would strong winds affect the range of the Mavic negatively? I had a technician told me that wind affects cellular tower signal. That's what made me ask..

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

2. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

I've never heard of strong winds affecting the signal. They will make your Mavic work harder -- thus draining the battery faster. If flying long distance flights, be careful of head winds on the way back to the home point. It could take longer to get back than you planned when flying into strong head winds.

3. DefaultIT

DefaultIT Well-Known Member

If the wind starts to approach the speed of light, then yeah...but you may have bigger problems then :D

4. The Editor

The Editor Well-Known Member

In addition to the points msinger makes if the aircraft is in GPS mode (position hold) it will also work harder to maintain position in hover as it will need to apply counter force against the wind just to stay stationary.
    So yes your battery will deplete much faster.

5. m0j0

m0j0 Well-Known Member

I would not think so.. it will effect range in that it will either decrease or increase how far you can go on a battery though.

6. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

The wind may increase particulate in the air, perhaps causing mild interference. Like how a driving rain will get you more wet than without wind.

7. CactusJackSlade

CactusJackSlade Well-Known Member

I know in fact that with our UHF band walkie talkies our range decreases with a windy, dry day - static electricity is also increased on these days as well... The communications on the DJI stuff is quite a bit more sophisticated, I wouldn't think it would make a difference - other than the extra battery power going against the wind...

8. DarkEnergy

DarkEnergy Member

There is no evidence that strong winds directly affect cell phone signals. If the wind is accompanied by heavy rain or lightning reception may definitely be affected, but the wind on its own should not affect the signal.

9. anzacjack

anzacjack Well-Known Member

gdam wind blowing all my reception away

uxodas likes this.
  10. CactusJackSlade

CactusJackSlade Well-Known Member

Currently here in Northern CA the wind... and RAIN is blowing my reception away :D:rolleyes::p

Advexure likes this.
  11. anzacjack

anzacjack Well-Known Member

if i fly down wind will i get better range as reception may be blown with the drone?

sorry, its been a long day

12. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

Actually wind does have some effect on radio waves. This has been proven with Radar. What effects it has on other types of radio waves is probably minimal at best.

13. DarkEnergy

DarkEnergy Member

Is not the wind but the water that the radar detects. The opacity of the air does not depend on its relative velocity to the emitter or receiver. At radio frequencies air opacity does depend on the water content or water column density.

14. flyNfrank

flyNfrank Active Member

Have to admit I thought this was going to be a silly thread before coming into it. Glad to see the OP cleared that up right away in mentioning the cell tower part.