DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the iPhone App Overylay the Instrumentation

Robbyg

Reactions
I was almost certain that the recorded version of the flight had the instrumentation automatically overlayed on the video. Now after reading some stuff I am not sure if all those YouTube videos are straight dumps of the phones recording or did they manually overlay the flight data.

Eg is this Auto generated by DJI 4 app?

DJI-Phantom-3-Pro-Controller-Screen-630.jpg

I see, thanks.
It's interesting that DJI did not include a toggle switch to allow the user to select if the recording would overlay the nav and instrumentation data onto the phones video.

What app are most iPhone users using?

Thanks
Rob

Seems like there are a lot of choices for Android but nothing for the iPhone. Airshou running with Shou seems to be the only iphone app but the developers look to be a bit shady.

Having telemetry used to be popular and people used RaceRenderer as a goto program to achieve this. A while back I think it was GoPro that bought them up and it was free... check the GoPro site. There was another that people used but I don't recall the name of it.

When you see a video that looks like the pic you posted they are screen recording. If your Android I believe it is a simple process... if you are using iOS it is very difficult if not impossible unless you are jailbroken. Shou requires a jailbreak. I used to have it working but it seems to have stopped working since 9.3. The Litchi app has a built in screen recorder.

Thanks LuvMyTJ.
I have seen guys using iPhones in recent video but I have no idea what they are using to do the video capture. I can understand the reason why Apple does not want dedicated screen capture software on the app-store, but DJI could have simply incorporated an overlay option into their own app and that would have been perfectly fine with Apple.

BTW I did look at RaceRenderer, thanks.
It looks like a lot of extra post production work and I really wanted to be able to see exactly what I am seeing when I am flying so I can review any mistakes and get a better understanding of the telemetry.

Last edited:
If you also plan to stream the controller screen to a computer live, an app like airserver will help. It has the feature to record the streaming.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Robbyg
If you also plan to stream the controller screen to a computer live, an app like airserver will help. It has the feature to record the streaming.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Thanks Nayot
That is a great solution. I can carry my Laptop and it should be able to record the iphone screen.

Thanks again
Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom