DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't Be This Guy

So as @tcope is suggesting, a justifiable reason to ban drones at NPS is due to the annoyance factor.

Well, how about this... Let's ban children under 10 from flying on airplanes and visiting national parks too - because, quite frankly, they annoy me. And if we're all about making the world less annoying, heck, let's ban it all.

Makes sense... as long as you completely ignore the purpose of the NPS, what they were created do and the entire intent of the rule. Then, yes... that makes sense.

Finally, what to do about that large, loud, single-engine plane that is dragging a football field-sized banner advertising Geico Insurance that's constantly flying around where I happen to be? Can we ban that too? I would just love some quiet, natural setting without that loud plane shoving advertising in my face while I'm relaxing at the park.
As with everything above, you are comparing things that don't have any relationship.

How about this... next time you and your family spend thousands of dollars to go some place relaxing... I show up up and a box of firecrackers and light them off right next to you. After all, who am I harming? I mean, if planes are allowed to fly around beaches why should I not be allows to ruin your vacation enjoyment? If people are not allowed to use phones on planes why should I not be allowed to unload a box of cherry bombs next to you while enjoying the day next to the pool? It's all the same incorrect fear... right?

I'm a HUGE proponut of not over regulating dones and their use. I think the media (and the FAA) spreads incorrect information to people in order to push their own agendas. I'd even go so far as to say that flying a drone in a NSP, miles away from anyone is not an issue. However, flying a drone right next to hundreds of people attempting to enjoy a national landmark.... no reason not to enforce that ban. There a _millions_ of other places to fly that are much more appropriate.

Reactions: Benclement
I really expected to see him loose the drone, fly into someone, over someone, or crash. Hovering 10ft off the ground then landing isn't exactly the best example of how NOT to behave.

I really expected to see him loose the drone, fly into someone, over someone, or crash. Hovering 10ft off the ground then landing isn't exactly the best example of how NOT to behave.

But... but... but... It's annoying! It could be dangerous! And most importantly, it's ILLEGAL!!! With each generation out-snowflaking the previous, having been accustomed to coddling, and "see something, say something" snitching on their fellow American, does this reaction surprise you?

Reactions: larkin

What I did not record was him taking off, flying up toward people and getting about 20' away from them. It appeared to me that he was not sure where the Mavic was and was looking at the display device in order to figure it out. Once it got very close to people, he saw what was happening. The people he got close to uttered some sounds and started to get up to move away. He then rotated the Mavic toward the arch and flew through it. There were always people under the arch.

Reactions: larkin
I agree with you 100% and it's guys like this fool, or that fanatical IDIOT Casey Neistat in New York City that is ruining it for every body. Take away their quads and let them be without them. They'[re nothing but a PAIN IN THE %^$&(#$!! and should be charged and fined heavily. Neistat is a danger to people in NYC.

Bud

Many (most) laws are made to _prevent_ harm, One person does it, many more will think it's okay and do it as well. In this case people were trying to enjoy some great nature. We all hiked a mile up rock to enjoy one of the best views. Then we have a drone buzzing around us and ruining our view, photos and video. No harm done? But lets set all of that aside. It's 100% ILLEGAL to launch, land or operate a drone within a US National Park. So there was harm done and its simply illegal. We don't get to pick and choose the laws we go by or determine for ourselves if we think someone else was harmed from an illegal act. We should also not be doing things that will create even more restrictive regulations against drone flying.

Think about this... you ever fly over a huge crowed of people? If you do it and the drone does not fall in anyone, what harm? So why simply not do it? No one was hurt, right.

I agree with you 100% and it's guys like this fool, or that fanatical IDIOT Casey Neistat in New York City that is ruining it for every body. Take away their quads and let them be without them. They'[re nothing but a PAIN IN THE %^$&(#$!! and should be charged and fined heavily. Neistat is a danger to people in NYC.

Neistat just put out a video stating that he was going to fly in a more safe manner.

If you don't have video of the drone getting to within 20 feet and flying under the arch, please don't waste our (my) time. I see a guy using his drone at an altitude of about ten feet to take a photo of his wife/girlfriend/whatever about a hundred feet from anyone else. Nothing else.

"Don't be this guy" is the guy saying "don't be this guy". Breaking the law or not, people need to have common sense about what to ***** about, too. Here in Canada, the asshat that wrote the new rules is saying that people should call 911 if they see a drone being flown illegally. I'm starting to think that some people may need safe spaces to hide from the drama of such blatant legal violations as well.

Reactions: RC5728 and erkme73
If you don't have video of the drone getting to within 20 feet and flying under the arch, please don't waste our (my) time.
Let me make sure I understand your post... unless I have a video of a person, not only violating US National Park regulations but also of the person actively flying the drone flying through an arch, I'm wasting everyone's tyime by posting. Does it need to be the Delicate Arch or can it be any arch before I can post? I just want to be sure I'm not wasting anyone's time when I make a post that people are forced to read and including a video that has to be viewed as well.

"Don't be this guy" is the guy saying "don't be this guy". Breaking the law or not, people need to have common sense about what to ***** about, too. Here in Canada, the asshat that wrote the new rules is saying that people should call 911 if they see a drone being flown illegally. I'm starting to think that some people may need safe spaces to hide from the drama of such blatant legal violations as well.

Are you thinking that I told the person not to fly, called 911 (BTW, no cell service) or told the park ranger about this person? If I could have, I might have... but did not. What I _did_ so was create a video to bring this issue to people's attention... that flying in any US National Park is illegal. Some people may not know it's illegal... so the video can help educate them.

I'm betting one of the reason's Canada made such wide sweeping laws is that they saw the continuing safety issues of people in other countries (as well as their own)... enough so that they felt the need to be proactive.

If this were simply someone flying in the middle of nowhere but still flying illegally, I'd not care so much. In this case it's a _clear_ violation of a well known US National Park regulation and one that _will_ allow for the creation of further laws governing UAV use. So when you think this person is not really doing anything wrong... consider how/why you now have those laws in Canada.

"Let me make sure I understand your post... unless I have a video of a person, not only violating US National Park regulations but also of the person actively flying the drone flying through an arch, I'm wasting everyone's tyime by posting. Does it need to be the Delicate Arch or can it be any arch before I can post? I just want to be sure I'm not wasting anyone's time when I make a post that people are forced to read and including a video that has to be viewed as well."

Don't be silly. You posted a video of a guy flying his drone at an altitude of what appears to be no more than ten feet and then landing it with the title "Don't be this guy". Then two posts followed by members saying how anti-climatic it was and then, only then, did you come back with a backstory to save yourself where you went into detail about how he came close to tourists and flew through the arch while people were under it. You have no footage of this portion of your claim so this is a waste of time.

"Are you thinking that I told the person not to fly, called 911 (BTW, no cell service) or told the park ranger about this person? If I could have, I might have... but did not. What I _did_ so was create a video to bring this issue to people's attention... that flying in any US National Park is illegal. Some people may not know it's illegal... so the video can help educate them."

I tend to leave people alone even if they are breaking the law when their infraction is as minor as what you documented. If you had video of him flying under the arch and buzzing the tourists, I'd understand your concern and I would share it, but you don't have this footage. If I were there, and what you said had occurred in reality, I would have confronted the man myself instead of wasting law enforcement's time. I happen to be a big believer in efficiency and calling LE because someone is flying a drone is a MASSIVE example of INefficiency, not to mention taxpayer dollars. And to answer your question, no I don't think you said anything to the flyer, nor to LE, because you appear to be the kind of person that likes to complain to anyone that ISN'T involved to get anything done.

"If this were simply someone flying in the middle of nowhere but still flying illegally, I'd not care so much. In this case it's a _clear_ violation of a well known US National Park regulation and one that _will_ allow for the creation of further laws governing UAV use."

"Allow"? I see. So you think that more laws are required when there are laws that exist, which you've adequately pointed out. The flyer broke one law already so you think having a second law would make him think twice? What law would be effective here?

Law #1- Don't fly a drone in a national park.
Law #2- Seriously, we mean it. Or else.

People wonder why there is so much waste in government.

And if you knew anything about the new laws in Canada you'd realize that your comments about Canadian law are as as uninformed as your video is useless, unless of course you feel that more restrictive laws than you currently have in the US are a good thing.

Reactions: erkme73
Look. I appreciate the point your trying to make, I do....but you make your point from the mindset of a brain washed "sheeple". !!!My point!!! Is no harm was done! You have no more right to enjoy the moment in silence without the buzzing drone than he had to fly it. We are equal. Now to your illegal point....why is it illegal? Drone falls from sky and lands in national park, tree injured.....hardly front page news now is it. So its illegal, but why? I didnt vote for it to be this way, to be fair I'm sure we'd all vote opposite. Stop being a sheep and preaching illogical laws.
Drones are banned from National parks because of two reasons.
1) Scaring wildlife.
2) If lost, the battery would leak toxic waste in the park and that wouldn't be good.

Ok so he did something he shouldn't, got it the majority of people do that every day if it benefits them enough. So what? Instead of enjoying the scenery/beauty of where you were you chose to focus on this guy and make him your target of anger. A little petty don't you think? How many times do you hang out in the left lane on the interstate or cut across parking lots, or maybe push through a line, or any other number of things that aren't really that big of a deal but are also technically wrong? Are you perfect? If so then ok but I doubt it.

Ok so he did something he shouldn't, got it the majority of people do that every day if it benefits them enough. So what? Instead of enjoying the scenery/beauty of where you were you chose to focus on this guy and make him your target of anger. A little petty don't you think? How many times do you hang out in the left lane on the interstate or cut across parking lots, or maybe push through a line, or any other number of things that aren't really that big of a deal but are also technically wrong? Are you perfect? If so then ok but I doubt it.

How am I picking on this person? I don't know who is or did I take any action against him directly. In case you missed the point of the video and post, it's a message to the person watching the video.... not a message to the person in the video. If you thought it was against the person in the video and not a message to you and everyone who watches then you missed the point. I thought it was pretty clear from the title and closing message.

What a dumb thread.

Way to be part of the problem, OP.

Pretty soon we won't we able to fly these things anywhere thanks to people like you.

Drones are harmless photo/video making tools. Nothing more. They're harmless. I'm really tired of sheeple overreacting about drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty