DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't Be This Guy

Drones are harmless photo/video making tools. Nothing more. They're harmless. I'm really tired of sheeple overreacting about drones.

Next time someone complains about those who are killing this hobby, please read the post above.

Next time you may want to even slightly fact check your statements with a simple Google Search:

Man convicted after out-of-control drone hits building, knocks woman unconscious during Seattle Pride Parade
"The drone debacle occurred during the 2015 Seattle Pride Parade, when Paul M. Skinner of Oak Harbor, Wash. lost control of his DJI Phantom 3, according to court documents, and it hit the Safeco Plaza building in downtown Seattle. The machine then came careening to the ground and struck the woman, concussing her and knocking her out cold."

Drone Injury Lawsuit: USC Fraternity Sued for Falling Drone Injury
"The injury sustained by the victim in this case required immediate medical attention. After being struck in the head, she fortunately fell onto a friend who prevented her from falling to the ground (which likely prevented a second blow to the head against the ground). - See more at: Drone Injury Lawsuit: USC Fraternity Sued for Falling Drone Injury"

Drone blamed for spooking horse that injured 3 during Silverton skijoring race – The Denver Post
"A low-flying drone was blamed for spooking a horse that injured three people during a winter race in southwest Colorado."

Heslam: Guests suing groom over drone crash
"now say his hovering video camera went haywire and slammed into their faces, injuring them on the dance floor under a tent at Searles Castle in Windham"

Guests sue groom, claiming drone injured them at N.H. wedding
"An attorney for the two women said the drone was flying inside a tent at Searles Castle when it crashed down onto them. The attorney said one of the women suffered a concussion and a cut that required more than 20 stitches. He said the other woman also suffered a concussion and fractured bones in her face."

HAHAHA!

Good job proving my point OP.

There are MILLIONS of drones being used around the world, and you can almost count the number of injuries to date on ONE hand.

Even selfies are more dangerous than drones. Stop being an alarmist.

This guy, being on a drone forum full of responsible flyers, wants to buy into the hysteria created by asshats that have in turn screwed the rest of us, by comparing these 5 events, two of which are the SAME event so in reality it's four events, to some guy in the middle of a desert park taking a selfie. I agree; "Don't be this guy", but THIS guy, not the other guy.

Reactions: RC5728
There's a lot of really silly notions in this thread. Like how having a drone appear in a picture you took on a vacation diminishes the pleasure you receive when recalling that fond memory. Come on, for real? If something like that truly impacts you so negatively then perhaps you have underlying issues you need addressed. You know what annoys me? Having strangers around me when I'm trying to enjoy anything. However, it's a hazard of having to share the planet with others, so nothing to do but deal and get over it. The time I have is what I make of it.

Bottom line is you cannot legislate common courtesy or sense. How about we focus on instilling these values in our children so we get to an era where we don't need the government to waste time creating laws to save us from ourselves? It's absolutely ridiculous to think that laws should be created on what would be an annoyance. Who's standard of annoying would be the measure? What one finds annoying another might not, so who decides? Imho it's alarming how much closer we continue to move to the government micromanaging every single aspect of our lives...and without any objection. What a sad state of affairs.

Reactions: Jotronic
What if the guy in the video turns out to be a park ranger, and monitoring the people activities around? Or what if he has a permission on his pocket to fly within the park? Its a long shot i know. But what if it is??

What if the guy in the video turns out to be a park ranger, and monitoring the people activities around? Or what if he has a permission on his pocket to fly within the park? Its a long shot i know. But what if it is??

I'll ask.... what if?

Park rangers who are working wear a uniform. This person was not wearing a uniform nor was the person who assisted with the flight. Exceptions are _very_ difficult to obtain (they most likely also require that you hire a park ranger to be with you at all times) and one of the criteria for such a permit does not allow a person to fly right next to people (within 20') and through the most popular arch while people are standing under and around it.

ummm? what even happened.

US National Parks don't allow the take off, operation of, or landing of UAV's on their property. This person did all of this and also flew within 20' or so of people attempting to enjoy the beauty of one of the arches in Arches National Park. He then flew threw tthe arch while people were around and under it.

Last edited:
This just like everything else the media puts out, they show of the worse / bad scenarios while the countless great flight missions go unnoticed and unknown.

I was at a US National Park over the weekend target practicing with my bow. I brought my MP1 with me as I always do. When I went to the ranger station to ask where the best place I can practice, they told me a nice spot by the lake. I went there and shot for an hour or 2. Since there was still light, I walked back to the station and asked if it was legal to fly for some beauty shots of the lake and surrounding hills with my drone. GUESS WHAT HE SAID? Almost verbatim "It's normally not allowed but go ahead but do be careful and if in the even of a crash, you will be held responsible for damages. Do make sure to retrieve the aircraft if it does crash. If not, get some good pictures to share with more people so they come here".
I know there are laws in NPs but I still got to fly with permission. I wish I had video proof of the flight, my dumbass left the SD card in my laptop the night before, or a hall pass from the ranger to fly but I have neither. So OP, not bashing or anything, maybe ask before judging and especially blasting this person for something he MIGHT have permission for.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Since there was still light, I walked back to the station and asked if it was legal to fly for some beauty shots of the lake and surrounding hills with my drone. GUESS WHAT HE SAID? Almost verbatim "It's normally not allowed but go ahead but do be careful and if in the even of a crash, you will be held responsible for damages. Do make sure to retrieve the aircraft if it does crash. If not, get some good pictures to share with more people so they come here".

I'm not a huge advocate of the ban in National Parks but I understand it's reasoning. The only party that can allow a regular person to fly a UAV in a National park is the Associate Director of Visitor and Resource Protection. No one else has this authority. An exception (form) would need to be completed and sent to the ADVRP for review and consideration.

I'm not a huge advocate of the ban in National Parks but I understand it's reasoning. The only party that can allow a regular person to fly a UAV in a National park is the Associate Director of Visitor and Resource Protection. No one else has this authority. An exception (form) would need to be completed and sent to the ADVRP for review and consideration.
Who wrote that quote, thats nothing I said??

No worries, just had me thinking for a minute....
The board gets a little flakey sometimes in that once you quote someone, there is no way to delete that entry using an option provided on the board. At best, you just need to backspace over the information but then I think other coding still remains.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka