DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't forget to focus!

moustic

Reactions
Well that's it, everything is said with the title!
Flying during holidays, taking care of everything, working the flight to have some decent footages and...discovering later that you have forgotten this **** focus once in the air!
This is so f#cked up!

In the camera settings have you enabled AFC mode? So it will show AFC/MF with the AFC in green. With it not enabled it will only show AF/MF.
The difference is in AFC it will centre-focus every so often so if you forget it will remember for you.
Downside is it may decide to change focus when you don't want it to.

Reactions: moustic
I can't understand why anyone would prefer not to use the Auto focus on the Mavic.

Last edited:
Just wondered if you set everything to auto. Wasn't a criticism. Don't you mind the focus movement in your shots.

Well, this is like photography, if the footage is made by some film maker, skilled enough to play with the depth of field, this is interesting to set it in manual mode.

Well, I usually the ISO by whether it's cloudy or sunny, and manually set everything thing else except the AF. I haven't really noticed that movement. I think the blurring and stuttering we get from this low quality sensor tends to camouflage most of that. You still have the option to auto focus even while AF is activated. Lets face it, we have enough on our plate already while flying these birds, constantly watching for warnings and trying to prevent all the other little things that ruin our shots, an with AF on, I like knowing I'm not going to have 15 minutes of un-useable video because I forgot to focus. I would be willing to bet that half the ruined shoot opportunities are ruined because we forgot to do the silly out dated manual focus when we took off. I think that has been the biggest complaint about the Mavic I have read also.
Post #1 is the perfect example. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Flying during holidays, taking care of everything, working the flight to have some decent footages and...discovering later that you have forgotten this **** focus once in the air!
This is so XXXXXX up!

Last edited:
Well, this is like photography, if the footage is made by some film maker, skilled enough to play with the depth of field, this is interesting to set it in manual mode.
It would be really great if the app work like some DSLR back screen. When you want to focus picking it would enlarge the area to 100% magnification, so you could have sure what is in focus. The actual focus style in the app is almost useless. It don't show you the distance it is focusing or any better visual information about it (those red outlines when enabled does not give much clues about it either).

Well, I usually the ISO by whether it's cloudy or sunny, and manually set everything thing else except the AF. I haven't really noticed that movement. I think the blurring and stuttering we get from this low quality sensor tends to camouflage most of that. You still have the option to auto focus even while AF is activated. Lets face it, we have enough on our plate already while flying these birds, constantly watching for warnings and trying to prevent all the other little things that ruin our shots, an with AF on, I like knowing I'm not going to have 15 minutes of un-useable video because I forgot to focus. I would be willing to bet that half the ruined shoot opportunities are ruined because we forgot to do the silly out dated manual focus when we took off. I think that has been the biggest complaint about the Mavic I have read also.
Post #1 is the perfect example. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is so XXXXXX up!

Nearly as bad as forgetting to press record!, not that I'm owning up to have ever done that [emoji51]

Nearly as bad as forgetting to press record!, not that I'm owning up to have ever done that [emoji51]

One more nice feature that Litchi has . I set it to automatically start recording at liftoff .

Reactions: SkySquinter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54