DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't get overconfident

rkruiz

Reactions
I live right on the beach - almost in the water. So when I fly over the ocean I don't have to worry about hitting something unless I go to low.

I was coming back home and thought a photo of my condo from the side a little lower would be nice. While concentrating in the phone screen to compose the photo, I suddenly saw green palm tree fronds as the drone stopped. Yep, landed right in the top. I think I know which palm tree it is in. It is not visible even with binoculars.

Don't get overconfident. Keep drone in sight when possible. Or check your surroundings with a slow spin and any camera angle adjustment needed. I am looking forward DJI goggles whenever they are available. I guess that people with goggles have already learned to be consistently cautious.

Tree trimmer wants $240 to come with lift to retrieve it.

Photos: 1487528293935.jpg tall palm trees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using MavicPilots mobile app

Attachments

• 1487527770198.png
    1487527770198.png
    717.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 1487528253849.jpg
    1487528253849.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: MavicFrank
I crashed my P3S three times since Christmas...due to over confidence. Could have bought another with the repair costs. With the mavic I do not try anything unless it has been thought through many times. I flew over a brook today...used tripod mode...and made very small, cautious moves. I got the shot, and kept my sanity. All in all a good day. :)

Reactions: Pancaro77
Thanks for the warning.. also good to put the ego in check.. I got a bit brave flying under a large fallen tree down a creek at the bottom of a water fall. When i came up, I had not quite cleared the tree, luckily i just kissed it with one propeller and moved it forward pretty quickly.. in the end the shot was worth it.. but if it had cost me $1K , I might be rethinking that move. about 30secs into this video
.. its why I had to cut and dissolve into the next frame...:)

A tall extension ladder (3 tier) will cost about the same. Put a belt/strap around the top rung to rest against the tree trunk to stabilize ladder. (Have a friend help hold the ladder.) When finished,....you get to keep the ladder, or possibly sell or take back ladder. Go up with a pole that has a piece of rope tied in a loop at end of pole. You are near the ocean,....go fishing.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm surprised the sonar or vision positioning system allowed this to happen. Did you disable them?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair