DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Downward sensor

The downward vision system is only effective when the Mavic is at altitudes between 0.3 and 13 meters. However, that does not prevent reflections from water/trees from hitting the sensors and causing them to incorrectly detect the ground is near.

Reactions: EsiMavic
Agreed, I would, from my own experience, say around 15m but water is different. I have found 60% of the time Maddie is stable above water, but 40% of the time she will inexplicable descend or ascend without rhyme or reason. Just be careful on water.

40% of the time she will inexplicable descend or ascend without rhyme or reason
You can prevent that from occurring by turning off the "Landing Protection" setting in DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

So to be safe if your above a water 20m is good height??
Light can sometimes travel much further than 20m when it bounces off of objects/water/trees. Disabling Landing Protection would be the safest thing to do. If you keep it enabled, then you're going to need to be on the lookout for an automatic ascent/descent.

Reactions: EsiMavic
So to be safe if your above a water 20m is good height??

Just turn off the sensors when you are about to fly above the water and when you want to bring the Mavic back and you are not any more above the water just turn the sensors on.

When flying that high above the surface of the water, there really would be no benefit to completely turning off the sensors. Disabling landing protection would really be sufficient in this case.

When flying that high above the surface of the water, there really would be no benefit to completely turning off the sensors. Disabling landing protection would really be sufficient in this case.

If flying under 15m over water would keeping Landing Protection off be enough or would you shut off the vision sensors also?

There's really no need to turn off the downward sensors unless you're flying within a few meters from the surface of the water. If flying that low, it would be a good idea to be within visual sight so you can make quick altitude adjustments as needed.

Ifly overwater 90% of the time. I turn off the downward vision sensors but I didn't know about the landing protection option. I'm going to turn that off as well because frankly I don't need any help landing.

Ifly overwater 90% of the time. I turn off the downward vision sensors but I didn't know about the landing protection option. I'm going to turn that off as well because frankly I don't need any help landing.
Landing Protection relies on the VPS, so if your VPS is off, Landing Protection is already off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada